• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW Badges

Tusk

imported post

Being new to this forum and even to owning a handgun I just dont think a BADGE is any way to go...........I have applied for my lifetime permit (personal protection) and it just seems to me that flashin' a badge around is asking for trouble.
If I wanted to wear a badge I would have been a cop or whatever, as it is I prob. will just carry concealed and be done with it, concealed carry I dont need no badge, dont want a badge havent the need for a badge...............I just have the need and the desire to protect me and mine if provoked !! They dont make a badge for that now do they ?? :cool:

GetA2J

imported post

I recently had a retired police officer who now works security tell me that when he is not on duty he wears his badge right next to his gun on his belt to avoid any problems or questions.

I didn't start the debate with him about the legality of open carrying and the absense of a need for the badge even for ID because if one has a permit one can legally carry any way one chooses.

mckbulldog02

imported post

The CCW badges are alright to use if you can use it responsibly. If your not using it Illegally then you wouldnt have to worry about it. Most companies like officerstore.com , galls, and uscav.com all require you to send in a copy of your CCW permit before a badge goes into production. Which they verify before making your badge. If the badge says concealed weapons permit, and thats all then no harm done. Long as you dont break the law, then no worries.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

mckbulldog02 wrote:
The CCW badges are alright to use if you can use it responsibly. If your not using it Illegally then you wouldnt have to worry about it. Most companies like officerstore.com , galls, and uscav.com all require you to send in a copy of your CCW permit before a badge goes into production. Which they verify before making your badge. If the badge says concealed weapons permit, and thats all then no harm done. Long as you dont break the law, then no worries.
If a person chooses to CC only throughout his or her daily activities, I don't see a problem with it. However, members here at OCDO, for a good many years now, are trying to remove the fear (desensitize) the general public that folks carrying a holstered pistol in plain view who are not wearing uniforms and badges are not the gun toting maniacs they are made out to be.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I've been torn by the idea of a CCW badge for a long time. I can see the benefits, if the SHTF, it might come in handy and keep you alive long enough to let the responding officers know you're not a bad guy. On the other hand, it makes you look like a cop wannabe, and that just lowers your credibility as far as LEOs are concerned.

If I ever get one, it's gonna sit on a shelf as a conversation piece. I believe in the end, they'd be more trouble than they're worth.

Of course, that's just my opinion. ;)

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

Allright people....this is getting beat into the ground. A "CCW" "badge" is a stupid, stupid idea....period. No nice way to say that. Here are two reasons why:

1). You run a very serious of being charged with Impersonating a LEO, which isn't something to sneeze at, and good luck fighting it in court.

2). Concealed means out of sight, can't see it, nobody knows its there, except you.....THATS THE IDEA OF CONCEALED CARRY. Why 'announce' it with a STUPID BADGE?

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

aadvark

imported post

I agree, I do not like those things.

Impersonateing a Law Enforcemnt Officer in Indiana is a Class D Felony, per Indiana Code 35-44-2-3(1).

that Badge might wind up being the reason you may never have to worry about Firearms Laws again. If I were you, I would destrou that Badge by Fire, or otherwise get rid of it permantely.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

MarlboroLts5150 wrote:
Allright people....this is getting beat into the ground. A "CCW" "badge" is a stupid, stupid idea....period. No nice way to say that. Here are two reasons why:

1). You run a very serious of being charged with Impersonating a LEO, which isn't something to sneeze at, and good luck fighting it in court.

2). Concealed means out of sight, can't see it, nobody knows its there, except you.....THATS THE IDEA OF CONCEALED CARRY. Why 'announce' it with a STUPID BADGE?

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Well, except I think you misunderstand the idea of how it's meant to be used. As it was explained to me, by an OK state trooper who got one for his father, the badge is to stay hidden also. Until such time as you end up using your pistol to save your life, or another's, and then the badge only surfaces as a quick way to put arriving LEOs at ease, until everything get's sorted out.

Other than that, I still don't like the idea. As you and many others have said, (and I agree with) you run a risk of getting charged with impersonation. That, we just don't need.

Beau

imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
Well, except I think you misunderstand the idea of how it's meant to be used. As it was explained to me, by an OK state trooper who got one for his father, the badge is to stay hidden also. Until such time as you end up using your pistol to save your life, or another's, and then the badge only surfaces as a quick way to put arriving LEOs at ease, until everything get's sorted out.

Other than that, I still don't like the idea. As you and many others have said, (and I agree with) you run a risk of getting charged with impersonation. That, we just don't need.

What magical power does this badge have that can put an LEOs mind at ease?? Also, what is there to stop a person with one of these fake badges from committing a crime, or a bad guy getting a badge??

These badges are good for nothing other than leading other citizens to believe you might be LE.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Beau wrote:
Big Gay Al wrote:

What magical power does this badge have that can put an LEOs mind at ease?? Also, what is there to stop a person with one of these fake badges from committing a crime, or a bad guy getting a badge??

These badges are good for nothing other than leading other citizens to believe you might be LE.
Don't effing ask me, I'm just passing on info that I was told. DOH!

mckbulldog02

imported post

I dont mind the idea as long as its used responsibly. I sell them to make extra money and as long as people want them I will supply them but with the words,

CONCEALED WEAPON PERMIT i will argue the fact that it does not indeed impersonate no law enforcement agency or officer. Most permits from states have the same verbage on the actual permit such as carry concealed weapon, carry concealed handgun,firearms permit, etc. All your bascially doing is wording your states permit and customizing it to a badge and most badge companies do want to see an ID before they will order the CCW badge. And you do forget that the permits are issued from local police, state police,and county sheriffs offices, so they are government issued from them types of agencies.

This is the disclosure that I tell my customers who purchase a badge:

This badge conforms to selling guidelines and does not grant any legal authority whatsoever. It does not make reference to any Law Enforcement Agency and is NOT A POLICE BADGE. Your authority to carry a weapon or any other legal authority is granted by federal, state & local agencies. Some states require the use of a badge and others prohibit them. It is your responsibility to check all local and state laws to see if you can carry such a badge.

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

mckbulldog02 wrote:
I dont mind the idea as long as its used responsibly. How the hell do you use a badge responsibly unless you are LE or security? I sell them to make extra money, glad you found a hobby, and as long as people want them I will supply them some people are pretty ignorant, but with the words,

CONCEALED WEAPON PERMIT i will argue the fact that it does not indeed impersonate no law enforcement agency or officer. Depends on the idiot "using" it. Most permits from states have the same verbage on the actual permit such as carry concealed weapon, carry concealed handgun,firearms permit, etc. All your bascially doing is wording your states permit and customizing it to a badge and most badge companies do want to see an ID before they will order the CCW badge. And you do forget that the permits are issued from local police, state police,and county sheriffs offices none of us here "forgot" that, so they are government issued from them types of agencies. What are...the badges, they are government issued???

This is the disclosure that I tell my customers who purchase a badge:

This badge conforms to selling guidelines and does not grant any legal authority whatsoever, Wow, we agree on something. It does not make reference to any Law Enforcement Agency and is NOT A POLICE BADGE. Your authority to carry a weapon or any other legal authority is granted by federal, state & local agencies. Some states require the use of a badge Show me which states require a BADGE when carrying a concealed weapon! and others prohibit them. It is your responsibility to check all local and state laws to see if you can carry such a badge.

Are you for real ? ? ? Gimme a frikkin' break. Actually, give all of us here a break.

"Some states require the use of a badge"....I want to see this m'man. Show me a statute from ANY state that REQUIRES the use of a "CCW" badge. I want to see this.

How many different professions require the use of a badge? Federal, state, county, and local LE, security guards, some armored car personnel, bounty hunters.... right off the top of my head I can't think of any others.

A "CCW badge" is nothing more than a collectable....period.

I can say quite for sure that if you were in a sutuation where, either required by law, or requested by a LEO, that "badge" will do you no good. They will want to see the actual permit.

As stated before, "You run a very serious of being charged with Impersonating a LEO, which isn't something to sneeze at, and good luck fighting it in court."

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

Oh....one more thing mckbulldog02.....your 2 posts have been only on this thread. If you joined this site to contribute to it, then welcome. Please be sure to include your location so it shows on the left when you post a reply.

If, on the other hand, you came here simply to peddle your "ccw badges", then you can just move along to another forum. This is an OPEN CARRY FORUM.

We're not interested, thanks for stopping by. ;)

"Badges.....We don't need no stinking badges"

Edited for spelling.

Mo

Banned
imported post

This "badge" is clearly intent to confuse the public. C'mon.

This reminds me of other things people do to purposely make the public assume they're cops.

Driving Crown-Vics with the spotlights, police scanners and multiple magnetic antennas on the roof and bragging about how people slow down when they see them.

Joining Volunteer Fire Depts. not to serve the community, but an excuse for emergency lights on their car.

Badges. Very "whackerish".

NewZealandAmerican

Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb
imported post

Mo wrote:
This "badge" is clearly intent to confuse the public. C'mon.

This reminds me of other things people do to purposely make the public assume they're cops.

Driving Crown-Vics with the spotlights, police scanners and multiple magnetic antennas on the roof and bragging about how people slow down when they see them.

Joining Volunteer Fire Depts. not to serve the community, but an excuse for emergency lights on their car.

Badges. Very "whackerish".
yeah. I bet some ham radio operators who may own an ex squad CVPI with antennas cause the same effect too

SlackwareRobert

imported post

I think it is a great idea, you wear it on the inside pocket, then when you throw
your jacket back to pull your gun, the bad guy can see that you are carrying
lawfully as you point the gun at him. If he is carrying illegaly he would surrender.
I know I wouldn't surrender to someone without a badge and just a gun.:banghead::banghead:

Prometheus

imported post

Really is this thread still going on?

It is a doubly stupid idea because:

Indiana does not have a Concealed Weapons Permit!

Seriously people, why are we even talking about this. No such thing as a CWP in Indiana or most states for that matter.

For the one person who is going to ask:
NO! Indiana doesn't have a Concealed Carry Weapon <insert whatever here> either.

Stop using the words "concealed" "Weapons" or "Permit" when talking about Indiana's:

License To Carry a Handgun
or LTCH for those people who have to have a cool abbreviation.