• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drawing on an unarmed person? Shooting an unarmed person?

FightingGlock19

imported post

kmcdowel wrote:
Which raises another question... If you draw, and they continue their aggresive advance, do you fire a 'warning shot' to attempt to scare/deter them even more?
where's that bullet going to go? "Be sure of your target and what's beyond it," doesn't just apply to the range.

Decoligny

imported post

T.Hooks wrote:
Me wrote:
Scenario 1: You are in the process ofreceiving a beat-down by one or more unarmed thugs, and you manage to draw your weapon and fire at one or more of them.

Scenario 2: Threats have been made of physical violence ("This is our turf, we gonna jack you up!" or some other stereotypical line,followed by an advance towards you). Can you draw? This has the great potential of scaring them off, avoiding physical injury of any parties. If this is OK, then what if they are NOT scared off, and continue to advance?

on the first scenario. If its only one thug than just take the ass whoopin or give one yourself. If a weapon is shown than you draw. A fight is just a fight. You dont run and get your gun and come back into the bar to shoot if a fights brake out in there do you? Now if there are more than four im going to shoot. I figure with my size (6'3 230) i can handle three regular size guys. The way i see it, If you flash your gun there will be a struggle. You can shoot one quick but if he is close enough to jump on you than the other ones can take your gun and your life.

Scenario 2: You should never draw to scare. If you are in an area that.....:cuss:.. seems to be black or low income than why are you walking? chances are if the area is that rough than they have guns to or have homeboys who have guns so the moment you draw and pause wait to see what they do is the moment you offer your life to others. If they are advancing than empty the magazine. reload and look for who ever else wants some.

Even a single assailant can cause fatal injury in hand-to-had COMBAT. It is not just a fight it is COMBAT. You have no idea what the assailants ultimate goal is. He could have it in his mind that he is going to beat you to the ground and then kick you to DEATH.

In my case, I would/could only run a very short distance, enough to give me time to draw my weapon and turn to defend myself. I am a 40% disabled veteran. I would shoot if he/they continued to advance after I drew my weapon.

T.Hooks

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
T.Hooks wrote:
Me wrote:
Scenario 1: You are in the process ofreceiving a beat-down by one or more unarmed thugs, and you manage to draw your weapon and fire at one or more of them.

Scenario 2: Threats have been made of physical violence ("This is our turf, we gonna jack you up!" or some other stereotypical line,followed by an advance towards you). Can you draw? This has the great potential of scaring them off, avoiding physical injury of any parties. If this is OK, then what if they are NOT scared off, and continue to advance?

on the first scenario. If its only one thug than just take the ass whoopin or give one yourself. If a weapon is shown than you draw. A fight is just a fight. You dont run and get your gun and come back into the bar to shoot if a fights brake out in there do you? Now if there are more than four im going to shoot. I figure with my size (6'3 230) i can handle three regular size guys. The way i see it, If you flash your gun there will be a struggle. You can shoot one quick but if he is close enough to jump on you than the other ones can take your gun and your life.

Scenario 2: You should never draw to scare. If you are in an area that.....:cuss:.. seems to be black or low income than why are you walking? chances are if the area is that rough than they have guns to or have homeboys who have guns so the moment you draw and pause wait to see what they do is the moment you offer your life to others. If they are advancing than empty the magazine. reload and look for who ever else wants some.

Even a single assailant can cause fatal injury in hand-to-had COMBAT. It is not just a fight it is COMBAT. You have no idea what the assailants ultimate goal is. He could have it in his mind that he is going to beat you to the ground and then kick you to DEATH.

In my case, I would/could only run a very short distance, enough to give me time to draw my weapon and turn to defend myself. I am a 40% disabled veteran. I would shoot if he/they continued to advance after I drew my weapon.
in your case i would say shoot it out. but i speaking from my point of view. im 21 6'3 230. the guns can wait if i feel i can kick your ass. but like i said that may be just my views. if its more that three guys or one has a weapon than im shooting untill i can raise my hand anymore. but my question still hasnt been answered. If your in an area that is that bad than why are you walking?

kmcdowel

imported post

T.Hooks wrote:
If your in an area that is that bad than why are you walking?
I went to pick up some crack and hit a pot hole, which put a hole in my tire. Or, any other reason your car broke down. Or, people who live in bad areas still take walks. Or......thats about all I've got.

Neural_OverRide

imported post

I guess ifI saidsaid "seems to be White or wealthy I'd be wrong. Not all poor Minorities are gonna even look at you twice. But if i was in Alabama at night outside a honky tonk, I could guarantee my minority self a good thrashing from a few good ole boys.

The simple rule is pay attention to where you are and stay away from trouble.

I thought my 5 combat tours, 3 purple hearts and bronze star were evidence of no ill will, but my skin color always makes me a threat to some people.

NeuralOverride

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Neural_OverRide wrote:
I guess ifI saidsaid "seems to be White or wealthy I'd be wrong. Not all poor Minorities are gonna even look at you twice. But if i was in Alabama at night outside a honky tonk, I could guarantee my minority self a good thrashing from a few good ole boys.

The simple rule is pay attention to where you are and stay away from trouble.

I thought my 5 combat tours, 3 purple hearts and bronze star were evidence of no ill will, but my skin color always makes me a threat to some people.

NeuralOverride
There are always some of anything. Thank you for your service to our nation. It is much appreciated by most of us!