• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry beginner

ScottFNP40

imported post

Hi all,

I am an 18 year old student whom is interested in open carrying. I have been a shooter all of my life, so I am not new to a handgun. Recently I have been given an FNP40 handgun and am now ready to start open carrying ( havent carried before cause my 1911 was to heavy). I come here today because I personally have not even seen anyone open carrying. I'm almost afraid to do it because of the risk of being hassled. I am also afraid that the local PD will not know the laws and thus I go to jail. I also understand that it is sort of frowned upon when a non-licensed person carries a firearm, at least by some people. Anyway if you guys could help me out with some do's and dont's it would sure help me out. I'm just not sure how people here will react to me carrying, because as I've said, I've never seen anyone around here doing it.

casullshooter

imported post

You did not say where "Around here" is, name your area and I am sure someone at OCDO will be better able to advise/help you. For starters:

1. Use a good/sturdy holster.

2. Increase your level of situational awareness within 50 yds.(min.) of yourself.

SWhetsel

imported post

I would be VERY VERY carefull as you are still 18. MANY cities have laws such as where I live, prohibit anyone under 21 to posses ANY kind of firearm. This includes BB guns, airsoft, and paintball guns. So you could get hemmed up about the under 21 thing. CHECK LOCAL LAWS about it mainly. Then check the local laws and make sure there isnt a ordinance against open carry. Other than that, I would deffinitly carry a copy of the legislate ( spelling? ) in my wallet that shows you ARE authorized to open carry by the Ohio Surpreme Court. Good luck with everything!

reefteach

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
Ohio doesn't have state preemption?

Good pick-up. Yes we do. Ohio Revised Code 9.68 is the state preemtion we obtained from HB 347 (the governor's veto was overidden last spring). ALL local firearms possesion laws are void. It SPECIFICALLY addresses open carry also:

(A) The individual right to keep and bear arms, being a fundamental individual right that predates the United States Constitution and Ohio Constitution, and being a constitutionally protected right in every part of Ohio, the general assembly finds the need to provide uniform laws throughout the state regulating the ownership, possession, purchase, other acquisition, transport, storage, carrying, sale, or other transfer of firearms, their components, and their ammunition. Except as specifically provided by the United States Constitution, Ohio Constitution, state law, or federal law, a person, without further license, permission, restriction, delay, or process, may own, possess, purchase, sell, transfer, transport, store, or keep any firearm, part of a firearm, its components, and its ammunition.

(B) In addition to any other relief provided, the court shall award costs and reasonable attorney fees to any person, group, or entity that prevails in a challenge to an ordinance, rule, or regulation as being in conflict with this section.

(C) As used in this section:

(1) The possession, transporting, or carrying of firearms, their components, or their ammunition include, but are not limited to, the possession, transporting, or carrying, openly or concealed on a person’s person or concealed ready at hand, of firearms, their components, or their ammunition.

(2) “Firearm” has the same meaning as in section 2923.11 of the Revised Code.

(D) This section does not apply to either of the following:

(1) A zoning ordinance that regulates or prohibits the commercial sale of firearms, firearm components, or ammunition for firearms in areas zoned for residential or agricultural uses;

(2) A zoning ordinance that specifies the hours of operation or the geographic areas where the commercial sale of firearms, firearm components, or ammunition for firearms may occur, provided that the zoning ordinance is consistent with zoning ordinances for other retail establishments in the same geographic area and does not result in a de facto prohibition of the commercial sale of firearms, firearm components, or ammunition for firearms in areas zoned for commercial, retail, or industrial uses.

Effective Date: 03-14-2007

SWhetsel

imported post

Yeah sorry about that, I didnt realize that Ohio over rules local government now. I just got back fomr a year and a half in Iraq, Laws changed a little. :) But still be careful of the shady gray area on being under 21 years of age. I dont know what the laws are one that. ( so not to start a new thread but does this mean that BB guns can now be shot by kids? Or is the city ordinace still in effect? I mean that should have been over ruled or fall under the ORC now as well right? )

Bersa45

imported post

House bill 347 is preemption for all of ohio. All the local ordinances are gone. We have had statewide preemption since March 2007 I believe.:celebrate

dng

State Researcher
imported post

ScottFNP40 wrote:
Anyway if you guys could help me out with some do's and dont's it would sure help me out. I'm just not sure how people here will react to me carrying, because as I've said, I've never seen anyone around here doing it.

Welcome to OCDO! Here are a couple suggestions I would give you.

1. Know the laws; read them for yourself so you personally know what they say and you are not going off of what someone else has told you: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc

2. Dress nice. It might sound crazy, but if you are dressed like a thug, you're probably going to have more issues.

3. Be polite. Many people are already going to be nervous about a gun, much less if you are a jerk.

4. Act natural and confident. If you are acting guilty, it's only natural for someone to think you're doing something wrong.

Legba

imported post

One other word of advice: memorize your lawyer's phone number (or some lawyer's phone number if you don't already have one) and check with him/her if it's ok to make collect calls on an emergency basis (tell the secretary who you are also). If you get arrested, they may not provide you with a phone book (or it may be for a different area/jurisdiction), and you cannot make long-distance calls billed to the jail.

-ljp