• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

question about getting conceal permits

uncoolperson

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Well you only give up your fifth if you are going to incriminate yourself with your prints because they are already on file from a crime scene. If one is that dumb then they deserve to be caught.
that's not the point though

joeroket

imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
amlevin wrote:
If you don't comit any crimes and leave prints, why are you worried whether the Government has them? They have your Social Security Number, know how much money you get paid at work, know where you live and know about those guns you bought from a Dealer. Unless you expect to become a criminal someday why worry?

i was curious

the whole in order to exercise someone's second they have to give up the fifth.
Thats what it sounded like you were talking about in this post. Maybe I misunderstood what you meant.

amlevin

imported post

If I understand uncoolperson's point correctly, that one is giving up his 5th Amendment rights by giving prints to get a permit, I'm not so sure this is the case. Prints are just prints until you leave them at a crime scene. Then they become evidence. If you were to carry this logic farther, then no picture would ever be legal. After all how many times are photos from ID 6-Packs or School Annuals used as "evidence"?

(Fifth Amendment Text)

[size=+1]"No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.[/size]"

If you are not a criminal, giving your prints is not "being a wittness agains himself" as there is no crime charged. If you ARE a criminal, you are not allowed to own or carry a gun anyway so the whole issue is moot.

To really "nit-pick", any criminal that left his prints could make the claim that the prints were his "property"and subject to the above prohibition against providing witness (evidence against himself). See how far that argument flies.

uncoolperson

imported post

joeroket wrote:
uncoolperson wrote:
amlevin wrote:
If you don't comit any crimes and leave prints, why are you worried whether the Government has them? They have your Social Security Number, know how much money you get paid at work, know where you live and know about those guns you bought from a Dealer. Unless you expect to become a criminal someday why worry?

i was curious

the whole in order to exercise someone's second they have to give up the fifth.
Thats what it sounded like you were talking about in this post. Maybe I misunderstood what you meant.
by "thats not the point though" i was refering to "If one is that dumb then they deserve to be caught."

uncoolperson

imported post

amlevin wrote:
If I understand uncoolperson's point correctly, that one is giving up his 5th Amendment rights by giving prints to get a permit, I'm not so sure this is the case. Prints are just prints until you leave them at a crime scene. Then they become evidence. If you were to carry this logic farther, then no picture would ever be legal. After all how many times are photos from ID 6-Packs or School Annuals used as "evidence"?

(Fifth Amendment Text)

[size="+1"]"No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.[/size]"

If you are not a criminal, giving your prints is not "being a wittness agains himself" as there is no crime charged. If you ARE a criminal, you are not allowed to own or carry a gun anyway so the whole issue is moot.

To really "nit-pick", any criminal that left his prints could make the claim that the prints were his "property"and subject to the above prohibition against providing witness (evidence against himself). See how far that argument flies.

I'm saying what if me (hypothetical... can't stress it enough), was stupid back in the day... ehh... say i stole a box of ammo out of someone's mail box.

and now (we'd hope), my finger prints are on file associated with this crime.

lets go with 7 years later i've grown out of that, and want a cpl ccp or whatever we call them in washington (too lazy to look at mine). and a passport so i can travel into canada.

since screwing with the mail is a felony, i'm guessing the prints would get to the fbi... for the sake of making it big, lets pretend i ripped off of a mail drop off box... .just to make sure it's big.

now to get a cwp or a passport (do they need it for that?) i need to submit my prints to be checked out to make sure i haven't been convicted of some crime.

now wouldn't using this submittion to charge me of some crime be against the 5th?

Bear 45/70

imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
amlevin wrote:

(Fifth Amendment Text)

[size=+1]"No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.[/size]"

I'm saying what if me (hypothetical... can't stress it enough), was stupid back in the day... ehh... say i stole a box of ammo out of someone's mail box.

lets go with 7 years later i've grown out of that, and want a cpl ccp or whatever we call them in washington (too lazy to look at mine). and a passport so i can travel into canada.

since screwing with the mail is a felony, i'm guessing the prints would get to the fbi... for the sake of making it big, lets pretend i ripped off of a mail drop off box... .just to make sure it's big.

now to get a cwp or a passport (do they need it for that?) i need to submit my prints to be checked out to make sure i haven't been convicted of some crime.

now wouldn't using this submittion to charge me of some crime be against the 5th?

You'd be a fugitive from justice and a wantedfelon and you shouldn'thave a CPL and/or a passport to escape to Canada with a gun, which you can't take there anyway.
rolleyes.gif
roflmao1.gif

Dave_pro2a

imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
amlevin wrote:

(Fifth Amendment Text)

Let's say, hypothetically (all the CSI Miami crap aside):

The last time my car was broken into the thief left AWSOME prints on a CD.

I could barely get the cops to come to the scene. I could NOT get them to take a print, even when I offered to let them take the CD and not return it to me.

I could not get the cops to even look at the car 2 blocks away that had a broken window and missing stereo. I found that car while looking around for evidence (things missing from my car).

So hypothetically speaking, buy a lottery ticket. You have a better chance of picked.

jonnyjeeps

imported post

Everyone does watch CSI too much. Fingerprints are not an exact science. There is no computer that flashes peoples pictues through print after print until it says "MATCH FOUND". Computers are used to pick likely candidates, then fingerprint "experts" go over each one with x amount of similar markers until they meet their criteria. So, since the FBI has almost all of the "best experts" many cases are sent to them for review and they give local authorities their OPINION.

DrewGunner

imported post

Dave_pro2a wrote:
I could barely get the cops to come to the scene. I could NOT get them to take a print, even when I offered to let them take the CD and not return it to me.

I could not get the cops to even look at the car 2 blocks away that had a broken window and missing stereo. I found that car while looking around for evidence (things missing from my car).

So hypothetically speaking, buy a lottery ticket. You have a better chance of picked.

Cops laughed when I asked if they were going to print my truck, the 2nd time it was stolen.

Burn'em off man, or you're going to the grey bar motel!! (hypothetical)

Morris

North of Seattlle, South of Canada, Washington, US
imported post

Depends on the agency. My agency prints everything. It's awsome to get hits from recovered latents. Here's the rub (and CSI is a load of crap): unless you can conclusively prove that the suspect whose prints are on the item, the item in in their hands or they were in the car was actually in the car or had the intent to steal (if they confess, not likely in 90% of my cases), a prosecutor won't touch the charge.

So, you are working a beat knowing full well that despite printing a car for 30-45 minutes, your prosecutor won't charge, do you give the extra effort that will be fruitless and take you off the road for that time? That's up to the individual agency.

But I dust, print and generally leave you car a blackened mess. It's good practice and I get to add some prints to big brother.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Dave_pro2a wrote:
uncoolperson wrote:
amlevin wrote:

(Fifth Amendment Text)

Let's say, hypothetically (all the CSI Miami crap aside):

The last time my car was broken into the thief left AWSOME prints on a CD.

No one should be surprised that the cops don't bother with trying to catch a guy who breaks into cars. There's no glory in that. I have had the same experience. The cop even told me they were pretty sure who was doing it. But he also made it plain they weren't really interested in catching him. A month latter he hit my car again. I was waitingand after stuffing a shotgun in his face he moved out of the county. :X

DrewGunner

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
No one should be surprised that the cops don't bother with trying to catch a guy who breaks into cars. There's no glory in that. I have had the same experience. The cop even told me they were pretty sure who was doing it. But he also made it plain they weren't really interested in catching him. A month latter he hit my car again. I was waitingand after stuffing a shotgun in his face he moved out of the county. :X

When I was at U-haul picking up a car dolly so I could tow my stripped and rolled toyota 4runner home, there was a police office there investigating another crime. Got talking with him, he told me that you have to be convicted 7 times in Washington (of car theft) to see any jail time. Then he said to call them if it happened again.

Kudos for the shotgun in his face. :celebrate

Edit: My horrible spelling.

amlevin

imported post

uncoolperson wrote:

Your hypothetical case doesn't take into consideration the Statute of Limitations for your crime. Stealing from the mail probably has the common 5 year SOL. Now if you killed the Postman in order to steal the ammo, THAT would be an unlimited SOL.

PT111

imported post

uncoolperson wrote:

First of all you are watching CSI-xxxx too much. turn the channel to the Road Runner or Bugs Bunny. If they had prints from a crime scene on file somewhere and for some unknown reason were to dig them up and try to match them later to current prints, maybe you need to quit watching Cold Case also, and yours pops up as a match,you are screwed. Johnny Cochran is dead so I don't know who to call.You could try to get it them thrown out on 5A grounds but I would seriously doubt it. However you can be assured that it will go all the way to the U SSupreme Court before getting them thrown out.

uncoolperson

imported post

PT111 wrote:
uncoolperson wrote:

First of all you are watching CSI-xxxx too much. turn the channel to the Road Runner or Bugs Bunny. If they had prints from a crime scene on file somewhere and for some unknown reason were to dig them up and try to match them later to current prints, maybe you need to quit watching Cold Case also, and yours pops up as a match,you are screwed. Johnny Cochran is dead so I don't know who to call.You could try to get it them thrown out on 5A grounds but I would seriously doubt it. However you can be assured that it will go all the way to the U SSupreme Court before getting them thrown out.

what's CSI? or "cold case"?... just kidding, i haven't had television in over 4 years now.