• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is OCing or storing your weapon in cold weather bad for it?

mercutio545

imported post

It's been really cold over the past couple of days, and I was wondering, if I was open carrying for long periods of time in the cold, or if I was storing my gun in my vehicle overnight, and it dropped down to an extremely cold temperature, would it be bad for the weapon?

Decoligny

imported post

I don't think exposure to cold will cause any problems. The have done official testing on several handgun models (Berretta, Glock) where they froze them for weeks in a tray of water, then broke off the ice (didn't thaw them just beat the ice off and out of the weapon) and they fired with no problems.

For a personal handgun, I would just do my bet to ensure that it is clean and dry.

I know thatthe military used the .45 for the standard sidearm in Korea. It was used at the Chosin Reservoir and the were stacking frozen dead bodies like cordwood and their guns still worked.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Bad how? Metalurgically, Reference Transition Temperature is probably so low that you wouldn't survive long enough to fire your weapon. Chemically, modern finishes are almost impervious to corrosion.

I clean and 'oil' my awesome Luger once a year. It is kept in a safe in an unheated room that is probably below freezing right now. No evidence of rust yet, even on the leaf springs.

PT111

imported post

Since metal shrinks when its cold then if it gets cold enough a 10MM would become a 9MM and a .40 would go down to a .38. :lol:

Actually the only problem you would have is if it very cold and you grab it with a bare hand you may get stuck to it like sticking your tounge to a frozen metal pole but the gun should fire fine. The one thing to avoid is extreme temperature changes that may cause moisture to condense on it or moisture to freeze on it it left in a high humidity place butmoisturecan causeproblems even in room temperature.

Other than the shock of grabbing a piece ofice there isn't any real problem.

Mjolnir

imported post

Not exactly a problem when OCing or storing your weapon, but what is bad is warming and then cooling the weapon.

When you take a cold weaopn and warm it mosture forms & when ya cool it that mosture freezes.

Your weapon won't freeze up on you, but it will rust.

Now if you never warm the pistol it's fine as long as it does not get wet, cuz if it get's wet/snowy/icy it will also rust.

Also make sure ya use a good low temp lube, don't use something that will gum up in cold weather.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

There can be some issues, most often with lubrication. Extreme cold congeals oil-based lubes which can affect cycling; to avoid this you can use a thinner oil and apply more frequently, use a dry lube, or believe it or not you cansometimes add ethylene glycol to the oil with similar effect as to water. Try this in a small glass and see ifthe two actuallymix (emulsification is not good enough); not all oils will.

If it's below freezing and precipitating, keep the weapon covered, or you may find the slide is frozen to the frame just like your car doors ice shut. If you can OC but not CC that means finding a pouch holster with aflapinstead of a strap, making it very clear you are carrying while completelysheltering the weapon.

Watch your ammo in extreme cold weather (-20[suP]o[/suP]F and colder); the stuff's designed to be weatherproof and work in any condition, but if it gets too cold it can affect powder ignition. That's generally only a problem at night in the far north or when attacking Moscow in the winter:quirky.

Lastly, avoid rapid fire of a cold weapon. The sudden temperature change causes uneven expansion of metal causing jams and possibly cracks and warpage. outright overpressure failure of a weapon due to extreme cold happens largelyin EXTREME cold (-70 or below); you generally can only make a gun shatter by immersing it in liquid nitrogen.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
It's been really cold over the past couple of days, and I was wondering, if I was open carrying for long periods of time in the cold, or if I was storing my gun in my vehicle overnight, and it dropped down to an extremely cold temperature, would it be bad for the weapon?

If simple cold weather affects the function of your gun at all, it's time to get a different gun!

Police don't stop carrying their guns just because it gets cold (or rains, etc)... and neither should you. A good weapon will be able to easily stand up to extreme temperatures and conditions.

I OC my gun in cold weather, and rain, and snow.... As long as you take care of it properly (like wiping it down, oiling it, etc), temperature and moisture shouldn't be a problem. And this is coming from a earlier-modelXD owner.

mercutio545

imported post

Thanks for all the answers guys. I went and got a can of dry lube and it works great.

FogRider

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
There can be some issues, most often with lubrication. Extreme cold congeals oil-based lubes which can affect cycling; to avoid this you can use a thinner oil and apply more frequently, use a dry lube, or believe it or not you cansometimes add ethylene glycol to the oil with similar effect as to water. Try this in a small glass and see ifthe two actuallymix (emulsification is not good enough); not all oils will.

If it's below freezing and precipitating, keep the weapon covered, or you may find the slide is frozen to the frame just like your car doors ice shut. If you can OC but not CC that means finding a pouch holster with aflapinstead of a strap, making it very clear you are carrying while completelysheltering the weapon.

Watch your ammo in extreme cold weather (-20[sup]o[/sup]F and colder); the stuff's designed to be weatherproof and work in any condition, but if it gets too cold it can affect powder ignition. That's generally only a problem at night in the far north or when attacking Moscow in the winter:quirky.

Lastly, avoid rapid fire of a cold weapon. The sudden temperature change causes uneven expansion of metal causing jams and possibly cracks and warpage. outright overpressure failure of a weapon due to extreme cold happens largelyin EXTREME cold (-70 or below); you generally can only make a gun shatter by immersing it in liquid nitrogen.
So, 20 weight oil and #1 ammo then?

FightingGlock19

imported post

I've been using hi-temp bearing grease (lithium soap based) on my truck gun (AK-47) & have had zero issues with it & the temperature changes here. There was a week of about 5-10* over-night lows & the rifle's ran fine, even having been in the pick-up thru the freezes.

akhunter3

imported post

FogRider wrote:
Liko81 wrote:

Watch your ammo in extreme cold weather (-20[suP]o[/suP]F and colder); the stuff's designed to be weatherproof and work in any condition, but if it gets too cold it can affect powder ignition. That's generally only a problem at night in the far north or when attacking Moscow in the winter:quirky.

So, 20 weight oil and #1 ammo then?

Yup, you got it.:lol:

Jon

Flintlock

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
I lived in Virginia for 11 years and have lived in Alaska for 18 years. You don't have to worry about anything, it doesn't get anywhere near cold enough in Virginia to cause any problems. Not even close.

I have hunted in well below zero temps and only after several hours of exposure did I notice the weapon freezing up a bit and having any difficulty cycling.