• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.22 LR?

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

So, since I was helping out Ijusam at the range with his kids, I've been looking at .22 rifles to maybe pick up my oldest at some point, so I had two questions..

1) Can anyone recommend a half-decent .22? It would kind of be for my daughter AND for me, as I'd be cleaning it initially, taking it out to familliarize myself with rifles as well (I've only shot a few rounds from a rifle in my lifetime). I was looking at this one, but I don't know if it's quality or a fair price: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5057203

2) What's a good age to get your kid involved in shooting rifles? Mine will be 5 this coming July, and I'm thinking at least 8 or so...

Thanks, guys.

bbvk05

imported post

just get a Ruger 10-22. It is the best 22 all around, period.

Its semi-auto, but its also very accurate. The rotary style mag they use is also superior to other types of .22 mags that often jam up.

ijusam

imported post

I was shooting much earlier than 8 perhaps 5? I was thinking I would start my youngest (5 in March) on a bb gun to learn safety and this spring a bolt action .22 The Davey Crickett is sized for little tykes.

I like the idea of bolt action to start with. I think the bolt action ritual is important. It makes them slow down. Unlike the semi,youwork the bolt, findthe target, establish the site picture, finger on the trigger, gently squeeze. repeat. Each time you shoot you have to find a new site picture. And repetition is key to good habits

YMMV

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

ijusam wrote:
I like the idea of bolt action to start with. I think the bolt action ritual is important. It makes them slow down. Unlike the semi,youwork the bolt, findthe target, establish the site picture, finger on the trigger, gently squeeze. repeat. Each time you shoot you have to find a new site picture. And repetition is key to good habits

YMMV

Nice concept. I may do something similar, but she definitely needs a bit more maturing to do before I'm ready to put a rifle in her hands. Still another half year until she's 5, so we'll see how things progress.

hobobrent

imported post

Go with a bolt action. Preferably single shot, they'll eat ANY ammo you can throw at them. Rugers and other semi's are picky eaters in my experience.Also, a single shot makes them respect each shot, as it takes a long time to get another one!

dave_in_delaware

imported post

Wynder wrote:
So, since I was helping out Ijusam at the range with his kids, I've been looking at .22 rifles to maybe pick up my oldest at some point, so I had two questions..

1) Can anyone recommend a half-decent .22? It would kind of be for my daughter AND for me, as I'd be cleaning it initially, taking it out to familliarize myself with rifles as well (I've only shot a few rounds from a rifle in my lifetime). I was looking at this one, but I don't know if it's quality or a fair price: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5057203

2) What's a good age to get your kid involved in shooting rifles? Mine will be 5 this coming July, and I'm thinking at least 8 or so...

Thanks, guys.

1. I don't think you can go wrong w/ the Savage line of .22's. Savage is known for accuracy out-of-the-box. I have a Mark II-F (bolt action w/ accu-trigger) and I love it! It's more accurate than I am.

Savage rimfire: http://www.savagearms.com/rimfire_home.htm

My Mark II-F: http://home.comcast.net/~dave_in_delaware/MyGuns/Savage-MkII-1.htm (I haven't updated it in a while)

I picked it up at the Philly Gun Show.... There's nothing like shooting 100's of rounds ALL day for <$10.

If you'd like, you can borrow my Mark II some day and check it out. It does tend to get a little picky w/ ejecting certain ammo. But I think it's a matter of keeping it clean while shooting, too....

2. I don't think there's a set age. It all depends on the maturity level of your kids. For mine, it will be when they can obeythe house rulesregularly AND prove gun safety. My kids have trouble obeying the house rules all the time, so that (to me) means they're not mature enough for shooting guns yet. Plus, they're still too "little" to physically hold a rifle up long enough (or a handgun for that matter). Sure, rests would be OK, but it comes back to obeying the rules consistently in the house (not just gun rules)...

tarzan1888

imported post

Wynder wrote:

Thanks, guys.

I have a Marlin that I got when I was 10 years old, some 40 odd years ago. I was taught how to shoot when I was 6, but didn't get my own .22 until I got my Marlin.

It has been a good gun, but I am sure that there are others. Mine is an autoloader, but you may want to look at a bolt action. the savage you are looking at looks like a good one. I have a sears (made by Savage) bolt action shot gun that I got for Christmas some 40 odd years ago when I was 15. it to is an excellent gun.

On my .22, I beat up the wood stock quite a bit, and so that synthetic stock should be good for both you and your kids.

BTW, I have an older brother who at 5 could shoot, tear down, clean and reassemble his .22.

Tarzan

Marco

imported post

I started my 7yr old daughter out with a "Chipmunk" rifle and a Ruger "Bearcat" Single action revolver.

http://www.roguerifle.com/Rifles.htm

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAFamily?type=Revolver&subtype=Single%20Action&famlst=10

They are both guns Ireceived when I was a kid.
When her and my 4yr old son get old enough and if they show interest I'll let them pick their first rifle and pistol out for themselves.

My 14yr old nephew choose a Walther P22 as his first gun this yr, he started out with a J.C Higgins (Marlin) bolt action rifle from my youth.