• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oooh ooh ooh new gun!! :-)

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Well I got a hold of a P-3AT this weekend. I was getting tired of going into places where openly carrying wasn't preferable (like the g/f's grandparent's house), and being forced to either akwardly conceal a larger handgun, or just carry in a bag. Now that problem is solved!

I don't have any pictures of her yet, but most of us should know what they look like. It's not a pretty gun, and not the most fun to shoot (I've got the bites to prove it), but she'll fill her role well enough.

I've put 75 rds through her so far w/o a single malfunction, and spent casings are going well over my head and slightly off to the right. Does anyone have any suggestions on things I should do even if she seems to be working properly? I know the P-3ATs sometimes have kinks that need to be worked out.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Just remember... if when you run out of bullets you still haven't eliminated the threat... throw the gun at him... it's actually more effective than firing it!

J/K man. Gotta mess with the little calibers when I can ;). Congrats on what I understand to be a pretty good little BUG.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Stupid computer (just wrote a whole post then lost it). Anyway I hear ya :DI usually carry a .40 and my next purchase will probably be a .45, but you can't carry a 7-shot .45 concealed comfortably in your jeans pocket :).

Besides, that .380 will hold its own. It does a whole lot more damage than bird shot :Dfound that out today!

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

I would fire 200 rounds, minimum, before you consider it "broken in," and make sure a few of those mags are your carry ammo. Corbon DPX or Corbon "white/blue box" are great loads for this gun, and have fed reliably in my (read "my wife's") P3AT. I've found that going over the sharp plastic checkering with some 400 grit sandpaper really helps to keep the bleeding to a minimum. It will dullen-up the finish where you sand, but it's not like you bought it to be pretty, right?

If you do start to have problems, check out the fluff and buff section over at ktog.org (Keltec owners group), here's the link to that area of their forum:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=2504

Good luck, these guns are a "greatgun to have when you're not carrying a gun."

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Thanks for the advice. Most everyone has said 150-200 rounds. I've already read a good portion of the ktog forum, and have registered as well. Wont let it pull me away from dear OCDO too much, though :D.

And yes, being unarmed doesn't have to be so bad...

Marco

imported post

Maybe not a 7-8 shot but a 6 shot for sure;)
AMT_45_Backup.jpg

Unfortunately they had crappy triggers.

No longer in production
Weight:
1.56 lbs (0.71 kg)
Caliber: .45 ACP ( also in 9mm Kurtz, 9mm, .38 super, .40 S&W, .357 SIG, and .400 Cor-Bon )
Barrel: 2.5 inch (6.2 cm)
Action: Double Action Only
Range: 75 ft (22.9 m)
Payload: 5 + 1
Cost: $ 450
Made in: USA

Marco

imported post

Agreed.

Just wanted to let you know 45ACP for pocket carry was/is available.
On rare occasions I have been known tocarry a 1903 Colt Pocket Pistol in .32acp that my Grandfather bought newin 1926.

pix936346718.jpg

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Nice. I also know that kimber makes some almost pocket sized 1911s.

BTW, did I mention this thing bites?? (Still haven't healed lol)

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

lol Again, still not as small or light :D(or cheap). You guys don't like P3ATs, huh?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

hlh wrote:
DreQo wrote:
lol Again, still not as small or light :D (or cheap). You guys don't like P3ATs, huh?
The early P3ATs had "issues". The newer ones run pretty well after a 200 roung break in period.

Yeah, I do understand that. But even then when looking at their manufacturing numbers the actual percentage of guns with "issues" has always been relatively low.

Aaanyway thats not the point. Mine is shooting very well so far and carries nicely, so :plol.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

hlh wrote:
I have one and may have to get another since my wife and I fight over it. I like the P3AT for a bug gun, and she likes it for everyday carry.
She'll be a good BUG for me, but there will be times where she's the primary concealed gun, too. I haven't been able to bring myself to carrythe PPK/s as of late. She's just too purdy to risk getting messed up :D.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

All of the other options that people have talked up on this thread for more powerful options than the P3AT are Bigger, Heavier, and More Expensive than the KT. A full-size fighting gun, these are not, nor are they meant to be. But they are great for what they are, which is an inexpensive, decently-powered, "nostril-gun" for when you can't (or just don't want to) carry a compact or full-sized service pistol. A person who is going to their safe to grab their P3AT for the day is NOT going to replace it with an AMT Back-UP .45, or a Taurus Millenium, or a 3" 1911. They just aren't anywhere NEAR the same class.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have a 3.65" barrel Bersa .45. I haven't tried it, but imagine it would fit in a jeans pocket nicely enough.

In this photo, it's second from the bottom. From top to bottom, the .40, the 9mm, the .45, and the 380. Notice the 45 isn't much bigger than the 380.

Attachments

• Bersa top to bottom SN blurred.jpg
    Bersa top to bottom SN blurred.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 141

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Enjoy the little Bugger! the truth is that if you are comfortable carrying it and don't mind the bite, those P3's are a good tool to have. I just happen to have man sized hands :p.