• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

laser sight

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

i'm particularly fond of the lasermax guiderod lasers. If I could afford one, I'd have it now... but I am currently saving for one. No need for a special holster as it has no effect on the outward proportions of the gun.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Laser sights are great for both low-light shooting and as a training aid.

You'll find everyone around you at the range is able to coach your trigger management because they can see exactly what you're doing by watching the dot jerk on the target. Its very informative and a little humbling. You'll love it.

unrequited

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
i'm particularly fond of the lasermax guiderod lasers.  If I could afford one, I'd have it now... but I am currently saving for one.  No need for a special holster as it has no effect on the outward proportions of the gun.
A couple VA guys (me, naked, I can't remember who else) have Lasermax guiderod lasers. They are fantastic. After two or three boxes of cheapo ammo the soot film can be caked on enough to block the laser, but that's a nonstarter for defensive use, and only a mild inconvenience at the range for a quick wipe of a cloth (double-check for clear obviously) takes it right off for another 2-3 boxes of crap.

markand

imported post

I have Crimson Trace Laser Grips on several of my SIG's (P220, P229 and P239). Amazing improvement in ability to hit target. Took a dozen or so kids from my church youth group to the NRA range last year. Most had never shot a handgun before. Many had trouble with convention iron sights. Using the laser equipped P229, EVERYBODY hit the targets dead center from the very first shot.

Yodaforce

imported post

I love an enemy to use laser sights. Makes it easier to find them. Same with weapon lights. They turn on a light (mounted to the weapon), I shoot, situation resolved.

Thundar

imported post

Crimson Trace on my S&W J frame. I tried the lasermax guiderod on my SIG 229. Really cool but has to be turned on. Crimson Trace has a button in the grip that turns laser on when you hold the grip. That is why I favor Crimson Trace over Lasermax.

Zed

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Crimson Trace on my S&W J frame. I tried the lasermax guiderod on my SIG 229. Really cool but has to be turned on. Crimson Trace has a button in the grip that turns laser on when you hold the grip. That is why I favor Crimson Trace over Lasermax.

I've heard there is a Guide Rod Laser that works the same as the crimson trace ones do.

For the life of me I can't Remember who makes it though...

Schofield

imported post

I was pretty excited when I found out Crimson Trace was making a grip for the M&P that fit right onto the existing spot for the palm swell... Until I realized that it would interfere with the ambidextrous safety on the M&P 45 model I want to get. :? You can remove the safety but I'd like to have it there.

Euromutt

imported post

Yodaforce wrote:
I love an enemy to use laser sights. Makes it easier to find them. Same with weapon lights. They turn on a light (mounted to the weapon), I shoot, situation resolved.
That's happened a lot, has it? Or is that just in theory?

Lthrnck

imported post

I have so much trouble with my laser site. I'm all over the target with it. So I only use it for intimidation purposes. I shoot far better with my iron sites. My shot groups with iron sites are about the 3-4 inches. With the laser it 10 to 12.

Euromutt

imported post

Well, I got some CTC grips for my M&P40. Haven't fitted them yet, because the Smith's in the shop getting night sights installed, but as soon as I pick it up it's party time.

Sharpender

imported post

Yodaforce wrote:
Agreed! Weapon lights make a nice center mass target. An accurate controlled pair puts the first roundin the light and the second in the upper chest. My friends and I setup this little experiment in the desert a few years ago...none of us use weapon lights anymore.

If I have to get up in the night to check on a noise my wife or I haveheard (I live in Tacoma so it happens about twice a month) ;) I use a Mini Maglite with a push button. I hold it inmy left hand, arm stretched out low, at about 10 o-clock. It's easy to click on for a split second if necessary. Stealth is always better.

How many of us actually need to use a light to get around our houses in the dark anyway?

lostone1413

imported post

I've had laser grips but I for one don't like them. Believe it or not they really slow you down. If you want to train for REAL SELF_DEFENSE take a class from a GOOD instructor in point shooting. You will have no trouble getting three shots on target before most will even see their laser dot. The key here is to get a good instructor

FightingGlock19

imported post

Yodaforce wrote:
In most cases, a weapon light is going to screw with one's rods. When working in low-light conidions, the eye has adjusted to it. When a 60-120 lumen light is shined towards the person, the eye has to adjust from low-light to a bright light condition. When the light receeds, the eye has to readjust back to low light conditions. It takes longer for the eye to adjust from bright light to low light, thus I'll disbelieve you're shoot at the light & the situation's resolved theory, especially if the one behind the light is properly trainined in fighting in low-light conditions :)

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
Yodaforce wrote:
In most cases, a weapon light is going to screw with one's rods. When working in low-light conidions, the eye has adjusted to it. When a 60-120 lumen light is shined towards the person, the eye has to adjust from low-light to a bright light condition. When the light receeds, the eye has to readjust back to low light conditions. It takes longer for the eye to adjust from bright light to low light, thus I'll disbelieve you're shoot at the light & the situation's resolved theory, especially if the one behind the light is properly trainined in fighting in low-light conditions :)

+1,000,000,000

plus if it's an IR laser, you are....how you say screwed!?

happy carrying,

jason