• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm Thinking about OCing....

lasvegasoffroad

imported post

K, sorry this is long but here is my situation. First off, Im 19 and have grown up around firearms my whole life.

Recently, September of 07, I was jumped at a party as I was leaving. The reason for the assualt was there was a guy there who works at a tattoo shop here in town. We were talking about some work a friend of mine got done by his friend at the shop (piercings). I said 'She thinks its crooked but I think its straight...'. He took offense to this and was harrassing me all night about it. As I was leaving, he came over to apologize to me when he punched me in the face. I was knocked out with a dislocated jaw, and then he proceeded to kick me in the head. I had a bruised kidney, multiple head contusions and a mild concusion.

Fast Forward to nowand he is going to jail for six monthes, but will be out in two on good behavior. The waste of life has been in trouble since birth and has numerous priors, some which included assualt on an officer and coke possesion. He is extremely violent and dengerous. He doesnt know anything about me, where I work or live. He probably doesnt even know what I look like. However, he is asking people about me and seems vindictive, that he is going to jail for a crime he did commit (Go Figure!!!). Anyways, I am worried. What should I do? I feel a restraining order wont stop him and it isnt like Im looking to run into him, its just the fact that if I did, I would rather have a firearm than not have one. Id rather be judged by twelve than carried by six...

Thanks again for the help

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, I would caution you that shooting someone who doesn't have a weapon, regardless of that person's intentions, is a risky decision and will likely lead to your arrest. The argument could be made that you are looking to pay him back for the beating he gave you.

Plus, if you had your firearm on you then and he knocked you out, you would have armed the bad guy.

I'm an advocate of OC, but there are two very important points you must consider:

1. Be aware of your surroundings. You must be aware of everyone and everything going on around you. Many criminals have guns, but you don't want to be the one to put a gun in the hands of an unarmed one or worse, have your own gun used against you.

2. REMOVE YOURSELF from any potential dangerous situations. A gun is a tool of last resort, not a badge of invincibility. If you carry a gun, you have to check your pride at the door and take yourself out of situations before the need arises to use the gun.

If you're going to carry and this guy comes around, leave the situation immediately. It's ok to be "scared" of him and all the other things he'll bark at you as you leave. On the other hand, if you are unable to get away and/or this guy pulls a weapon on you, you must do what you feel is necessary to defend yourself and others. Just make sure you have hollow point ammo to minimize risk to innocents.

Tim

Erus

imported post

lasvegasoffroad....

Welcome to the board. Always nice to have another one of us here in So. Nevada.

Good luck with your situation, please get ALL the facts (situational awareness, avoiding conflict, etc, blah blah blah..) and figure out the only reason/mindset to carry (it is not, IMO, emotional, so make sure you aren't just pissed) before you do so.

Also, I would recommend getting the R.O. Anyway... No, it won't stop some fool from doing what he is going to do, but it WILL establish for the record that you are having problems with the idiot, should you ever have to resort (let's hope not) to DEADLY force to stop him.

Enjoy the forum!

Erus

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Welcome to the forum.

If you're willing to put up with some stares, why not OC?

I do it and nobody even hates me. Who knows, this guy may come back and see you armed and just decide to leave you alone. Or maybe next time he sees you he will want to do more harm to you than just beat you up.

Also, the people above have very good advice.

Just my thoughts. I'm 18, from Reno.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

timf343 wrote:
Well, I would caution you that shooting someone who doesn't have a weapon, regardless of that person's intentions, is a risky decision and will likely lead to your arrest. The argument could be made that you are looking to pay him back for the beating he gave you.

Plus, if you had your firearm on you then and he knocked you out, you would have armed the bad guy.

I'm an advocate of OC, but there are two very important points you must consider:

1. Be aware of your surroundings. You must be aware of everyone and everything going on around you. Many criminals have guns, but you don't want to be the one to put a gun in the hands of an unarmed one or worse, have your own gun used against you.

2. REMOVE YOURSELF from any potential dangerous situations. A gun is a tool of last resort, not a badge of invincibility. If you carry a gun, you have to check your pride at the door and take yourself out of situations before the need arises to use the gun.

If you're going to carry and this guy comes around, leave the situation immediately. It's ok to be "scared" of him and all the other things he'll bark at you as you leave. On the other hand, if you are unable to get away and/or this guy pulls a weapon on you, you must do what you feel is necessary to defend yourself and others. Just make sure you have hollow point ammo to minimize risk to innocents.

Tim

This guy tried to kill you. He has a physical advantage over you, which means here in Nevada, you have the legal right to protect yourself if he tries it again. Protect yourself at every cost. It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Carry your gun
be aware

lasvegasoffroad

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
timf343 wrote:

Tim

This guy tried to kill you. He has a physical advantage over you, which means here in Nevada, you have the legal right to protect yourself if he tries it again. Protect yourself at every cost. It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Carry your gun
be aware
'Judged vy 12 instead of carried by 6' is exact;ly the way I feel. I know he owns guns and wouldnt think twice about pulling it on me, even just to scare me. I went yesterday and registered a .25 I own. I know if worst came to worst and I hit him with it, it would probably just piss him off.

combatcarry

imported post

Carry a gun if you wish. If you plan on carrying a gun you should carefully research the laws on deadly force in Nevada. If an unarmed man attacks you and you were forced to shoot himwouldyouend up spending time in jail, sued, etc? It might even be a good idea to spend a few dollars talking to an attorney.

I believe that the taser is a good alternative to using deadly force. I also like the Kimber Lifeact (http://www.life-act.com/)as a form of protection.

lasvegasoffroad

imported post

Erus wrote:
lasvegasoffroad....

Welcome to the board. Always nice to have another one of us here in So. Nevada.

Good luck with your situation, please get ALL the facts (situational awareness, avoiding conflict, etc, blah blah blah..) and figure out the only reason/mindset to carry (it is not, IMO, emotional, so make sure you aren't just pissed) before you do so.

Also, I would recommend getting the R.O. Anyway... No, it won't stop some fool from doing what he is going to do, but it WILL establish for the record that you are having problems with the idiot, should you ever have to resort (let's hope not) to DEADLY force to stop him.

Enjoy the forum!

Erus

A few notes on this. First, I completely forgot about what happened but when i found out he was going to be put away and was asking about me, I became worried. I am in no way looking to hunt him down and bring him to true justice, its just if I'm out minding my own buisness not causing trouble, I dont want to run into him and be faced with a situation that could mean serious injury or death to me. Also, its funny about the facts. For example, I asked a Henderson LEO (A family friend) about getting one. She said I couldnt even own one, let alone register it. I told her she was wrong, she looked it up, and I was right. Its so gray, I mean, when I registered my gun, my buddy went and when we were done, he went back inside to ask the police officer some questions. He asked how old you had to be and the cop said 21!! (I'm 19):banghead:. In addition to, the friend that works for Henderson was saying that if I get an RO, sure its paper saying he cant come near me, but he'll have my information and then would be able to find where I live. (He doesnt know where I live, hopefully doesnt even know what I look like).Its a double edged sword, but the police report and stuff from the incident is proof he's a threat to me.I feel that I should carry and if it came down to him having me at gun point, all these legalities would take a back seat to survival...

P.S. Not trying to knock you, just my thoughts and feelings. Thanks for the advice.

lasvegasoffroad

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
Welcome to the forum.

If you're willing to put up with some stares, why not OC?

I do it and nobody even hates me. Who knows, this guy may come back and see you armed and just decide to leave you alone. Or maybe next time he sees you he will want to do more harm to you than just beat you up.

Also, the people above have very good advice.

Just my thoughts. I'm 18, from Reno.
vegas is a bit different, but you OC in Reno? Hows that work out, no one really cares? Ive heard people here dont care but Ive also heard they freak out...

lasvegasoffroad

imported post

timf343 wrote:

Tim
I agree with you completely, but one thing I must bring up is defining a weapon. This guy is extremely violent and although is hands and feet are not registered weapons, I feel he could and would do extreme damage to me with them. Also, this punk had identifiable marks (tattoos) on his face, so he sticks out of a crowd. If I was to see him, of course I would leave the area right away, but not with out a round racked just in case. I mean, again, if worst came to worst, Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6....thank you for the advice.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

In Reno its been pretty much fine. Most people most places don't seem to care. You'll get some stares from some people.

I was questioned about it once in Walmart, but once I told them the legality of it they let me resume shopping. I also got asked to leave Costco, but they apparently have a well known no-guns permitted policy in all of their stores.

lasvegasoffroad

imported post

Yea, but up North its a lot different then here. I wonder what would happen if I did here? I know no one ever (hopefully) open carries for the sake of killing some one. I want to for strictly defense like any other red blooded true American. I have a friend that open carries and the first bullet in his clip is a CCI 'Pest Round', Like a mini shot-gun shel. The other 12 after that are hollow points. His arguement is just that in fact, he doesnt want to kill anyone and if he fires that and the guy is still coming after him, he has a hollow point racked...any thoughts?

Decoligny

imported post

If he shoot someone with the varmint round, and the guy actually stops, then he is looking to be sued by the Bad Guy. And what happens in the case where he only has the time or opportunity to shoot only once?

My two rules are:

1. Never aim a gun at someone unless you're willing and able to shoot them.

2. Never shoot someone unlessyou are willing and able to stop the threat, even if it means you have to kill them.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

lasvegasoffroad wrote:
Yea, but up North its a lot different then here. I wonder what would happen if I did here? I know no one ever (hopefully) open carries for the sake of killing some one. I want to for strictly defense like any other red blooded true American. I have a friend that open carries and the first bullet in his clip is a CCI 'Pest Round', Like a mini shot-gun shel. The other 12 after that are hollow points. His arguement is just that in fact, he doesnt want to kill anyone and if he fires that and the guy is still coming after him, he has a hollow point racked...any thoughts?
I live in Vegas, and with the exception of at the office, I OC everywhere I go. Just got back from dinner at Osaka on W Sahara and followed up with the best custard in Vegas - Luv Its. OC'd both places no issue, no stares (that I noticed) and no comments.

Vegas is definitely a suburb of SoCal, and alot of the silly thinking that goes along with that, but LE is pretty good. I've been spotted by at least one for sure but never confronted besides a nod and smile.

I carry a Glock 23 OC and before long a backup Glock 27 CC (still waiting on NV permit). Each weapon is loaded and racked with hollow points. I firmly believe that if I have to shoot someone, it's to permanently stop (kill) them. There's no other reason to draw my weapon. And there's too much time and thinking involved in deciding if I need to take a second shot. Besides, sometimes the situation changes so quickly, a second shot may not be possible. Better to get the job done the first try then give the bad guy a chance to retaliate.

Erus

imported post

lasvegasoffroad wrote:
A few notes on this. First, I completely forgot about what happened but when i found out he was going to be put away and was asking about me, I became worried. I am in no way looking to hunt him down and bring him to true justice, its just if I'm out minding my own buisness not causing trouble, I dont want to run into him and be faced with a situation that could mean serious injury or death to me. Also, its funny about the facts. For example, I asked a Henderson LEO (A family friend) about getting one. She said I couldnt even own one, let alone register it. I told her she was wrong, she looked it up, and I was right. Its so gray, I mean, when I registered my gun, my buddy went and when we were done, he went back inside to ask the police officer some questions. He asked how old you had to be and the cop said 21!! (I'm 19):banghead:. In addition to, the friend that works for Henderson was saying that if I get an RO, sure its paper saying he cant come near me, but he'll have my information and then would be able to find where I live. (He doesnt know where I live, hopefully doesnt even know what I look like).Its a double edged sword, but the police report and stuff from the incident is proof he's a threat to me.I feel that I should carry and if it came down to him having me at gun point, all these legalities would take a back seat to survival...

P.S. Not trying to knock you, just my thoughts and feelings. Thanks for the advice.

Hey Bud, no "knock" taken. lol.. We're on the same page. I agree, get and CARRY your firearm.. you are legal and right to do so, and I support you in that. Just a heads up re the RO. yes, it could piss off the idiot, but better to have it on record in case you have to kill the fool. Good luck, man.. keep your eyes open.

Erus

Marco

imported post

NRS 200.190 Justifiable or excusable homicide not punishable. The homicide appearing to be justifiable or excusable, the person indicted shall, upon his trial, be fully acquitted and discharged.
[1911 C&P § 136; RL § 6401; NCL § 10083]

NRS 200.200 Killing in self-defense. If a person kills another in self-defense, it must appear that:

1. The danger was so urgent and pressing that, in order to save his own life, or to prevent his receiving great bodily harm, the killing of the other was absolutely necessary; and

2. The person killed was the assailant, or that the slayer had really, and in good faith, endeavored to decline any further struggle before the mortal blow was given.

[1911 C&P § 137; RL § 6402; NCL § 10084

I can't seem to find it but I believe the former Gov. Bob Miller signed something that prevented criminals and their families from suing.

mrFREEZZE

imported post

from what it sounds you have some ASSHOLE that feels he in control,from what you said pretty much he is. where i come from (CHICAGO),that guy would have had his head blown off. in your situation i would probably get r.o. buy your gun o.c. but always remember,what comes out the front,you CANT put back in.:dude: