• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Airline issues?

zakst1

imported post

I live 3,000 miles away from the rest of my family and often think about having to check my pistol with the airlines. I have yet to do so, but was wondering if anyone here has ever had any issues with airline travel (i.e. lost weapons with baggage / strife with airline personnel)?

Johnny Law

imported post

Placing a handgun in your luggage used to be an issue, as they would place a label on the outside of it to alert airline personnel (baggage monkeys) to be sure and open it and steal the gun.

Now they no longer label your luggage if it contains a gun. There is still a possibility that your luggage may get rummaged through later (illegally)but it would be completely random.

The one piece of advice I can offer is do not ever put a gun in your luggage and not declare it. They will check, and they will find it, and it isn't pretty. You can find all the rules on the FAA website as far as the case/lock/ammo issues.

One extra thing that I do is use a pelican case (which of course is lockable) and I then lock the case to the inner steel tube frame of my suitcase (soft backpack style with wheels and collapsible handle) using a small diameter chain and extralock. This way if someone opens my suitcase (illegally) the gun case itself is not removable unless the lock is cut.

The last few times I've flown I have had favorable comments from NSA personnel, asnone had never seen a gun case locked in to the luggage. Just remember to have the keys in your pocket, as they MAY want to open the gun case when you are checking your bag.

expvideo

imported post

zakst1 wrote:
I live 3,000 miles away from the rest of my family and often think about having to check my pistol with the airlines. I have yet to do so, but was wondering if anyone here has ever had any issues with airline travel (i.e. lost weapons with baggage / strife with airline personnel)?
I've found open carry to be quite difficult durring airline travel :lol:

dude

imported post

zakst1 wrote:
I've flownwith delta once while transporting two handguns. They have info on what to do / what to say / who to speak to on their website. I followed their recommendations, and had no problems.

I seem to recall one guy who I think was on my final flight (I'm not totally sure if he was on my flight or just landed on a different flight / exited the plane / and headed to baggage claimabout the time I did) wound up getting his luggage minus his hunting rifle...which of course was what he traveled for - to hunt. Yes, he was rather pissed.....

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I fly quite often with mine on Southwest. Check it in it's separate hardshell locked container and it only takes a few moments longer than not taking it. The ticket agent will usually have you take it directly to the TSA xray machine and since it's locked, inform them that it's a firearm so they can immediately xray it and give you the all ok. Has always been a non-issue for me.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

On the XDTalk forum, someone once posted info about paying a little extra to get hand searched luggage IIRC. Again, IIRC, that type of check bypasses a lot of opportunity to have someone sneak into your luggage and steal your firearm. I don't remember the details anymore. You can probably find the thread by doing a search on that forum.

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I flew this summer with United and my sidearm. The check-in process was pretty easy. They however gave us the passenger shuffle and shaft which is in another story in it's own right. Anyway long story short, we got shafted 14hrs at the airport with a 14mth old and arrive at our destination without our bags! I was really irritated.

The bags were still at our origin airport and were scheduled to arrive sometime the next day. They offered to deliver the bags via UPS, but I wasn't sure that UPS would take a bag with a firearm so I elected to have them hold the bags at the airport until I drove back to get them. The return trip was fairly smooth and we arrived home with our bags.

As a note, I used a cable secured steel lockbox in the luggage. Leaving they wanted me to demonstrate that it was unloaded, on the return they just wanted the tag in the lockbox.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

So here's a question on this topic. It sounds like traveling with the firearm isn't that much of a hassle as long as you check it properly and such. But what if you fly into a place like, say, Chicago? You're not allowed to have a gun there really at all, right? Will they not let you even have it in your luggage if they know you're flying there?

tarzan1888

imported post

zakst1 wrote:

I travel a lot and have had my ups and down with declaring my hand gun(s).

One time I had to hand over all of my ammunition to the Agent as she would not let me have it in my suitcase. That was long before 9-11. I have found it much easer since 9-11 and have had no problems for years.

1. Gun in locked hard case (no TSA lock), TSA lock on your suitcase

2. Ammo in original containers (There are also approved containers, but this is easier.) Some airlines want the ammo in a separate part of your suitcase, some want it in the hard, locked case with your gun. TSA doesn't care.

3. I say the following, "I would like to declare an unloaded handgun in a locked box in my suitcase, I also have some ammunition in its original container, in another part of my suitcase."

4. They may or may not want to visually inspect your gun to see if it is loaded, then they will give you a card to sign and put with your gun.

5. They will go with you to TSA and tell them that you have declared your handgun. TSA will want you to remain until they have checked your bag and then they will send you on your way.

It is just that simple.

Tarzan

tarzan1888

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Thanks for the excellent info, Tarzan.

You are welcome.

I might also add that I usually give myself the full 2 hours before my flight. You can't use their automated system and you have to talk to an agent. This may mean that you wait in line a little longer, but my peace of mind is worth it. :)

Tarzan