• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at Ron Paul Rally

aroundlsu

imported post

If you guys can forgive me for the Cabela's postings, we have a new topic.

I just got back from the Ron Paul rally and noticed at least one guy with an empty holster strapped to his belt. There were numerous deputies there and I wonder if one of them made him put his gun up before Ron Paul came out? Would have seemed a bit hypocritical for a Ron Paul rally. I wish I would have thought to go up and ask the guy about it but I didn't think to at the time (though I did think of several of you guys here).

I of course was carrying concealed and was a bit worried I might have to show my permit to metal detectors on the way in but it wasn't as large or organized of a rally as I thought it would be and there was no security of that type. I noticed probably a dozen other guys that looked like they were probably packing under their shirts. Was quite the turn out for gun folks.

Black folks were non existent.

packingmama

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My husband SGT Jensen and his friend UTOC-45-44 open carried at Ron Paul when he visited Utah. There wasn't one problem and nobody said anything to them. They got alot of looks from bystanders and police officers but no problems what so ever. That is one of the many reasons we are voting for him! :) I am surprised they didn't end up on the news for that one. There was of course alot of media there. They didn't try to hide themselves either.

KBCraig

imported post

aroundlsu wrote:
If Ron Paul really did personally request him to put his pistol up then Ron is a hypocrite.

I think it's pretty obvious that he didn't personally request it. How would he have even done so during his speech (as noted in that other thread, where even Mark doubts that it was Paul). Not to mention that is completely out of his character and known history of being comfortable around OC. There's also the fact that he re-armed right in front of Paul.

As has been noted, it's not unheard of for officersto ---ummm--- be less than fully honest when they're enforcing their personal preferences (as opposed to enforcing the law). Telling a Ron Paul supporter that "Dr. Paul personally requests it" is a lot more effective than "I'd really rather you didn't wear that in here."

I was at the Shreveport rally this morning. I didn't OC, but I'm certain I wasn't the only CC there. For such short notice, we had a big crowd, easily 200-250 packed into a hotel conference room.

I even got an autograph -- Dr. Paul signed my kid. :D

Attachments

• rp03.jpg
    rp03.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 352

italianboy

imported post

From my understanding this is another one of those "grey" areas. I was told that if the parade or what have you, is provided by the city or government organization (say for example a Mardi Gras parade) then you could get into trouble carrying your weapon. This is very debatable. I am not sure if this particular parade was a private parade (which it sounds like), or it was a parade provided by the city or state agency. As my instructor said, "You may not be the only person who is carrying a weapon in such cases", but if you do then you are doing this at your own risk.
AGain I am not stating the law here, but just expressing what was told to me by my instructor which happens to be a Srg for the LA State troopers andthe other a Lt. for a local PD.