Thread: What media bias?

Post imported post

Well, I just finished watching the coverage of the "Lie-in" on WVEC 13 here in Hampton Roads. I'm disappointed to see that they, once again, ignored all the VCDL people there. I'm not surprised by it. But it's still frustrating.

Anyone have any better luck with their local networks?

Post imported post

The 5:00 newscast of WWBT-12 (Richmond) briefly noted that "more than 200" counter-protestors were present (moments before they had just said "about 100 gun control protestors...") so I guess that brief acknowledgement that there were more than twice as many of us present is a good thing.... but any mention of numbers was absent in the 6:00 newscast....

Post imported post

Bryan,

"3 pistol" Kim and I spoke with you yesterday. I watched the nbc 12 and fox 35 news at 10 reports and they were at least somewhat balanced. Kim watched the channel 8 news and saw nothing reported about our side even though they interviewed her.

Joe

Post imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
    Bryan,

"3 pistol" Kim and I spoke with you yesterday. I watched the nbc 12 and fox 35 news at 10 reports and they were at least somewhat balanced. Kim watched the channel 8 news and saw nothing reported about our side even though they interviewed her.

Joe
    I guess she didn't fit their stereotype enough. Lord knows only fat, ugly, white men carry guns.

Post imported post

Saw it on CNN Headline news this morning, mentioned only the lie-in protesters, although they did get a good shot of an OCer with a "HERE LIE DEFENSLESS VICTIMS"sign worn over the T-Shirt.

Post imported post

The local news (ch. 7, ch. 4) were horrible and overtly tilted, even saying that the antis outnumbered the pro-rights people. This is directly contradicted by the New York Times which reported pro-rights outnumbering antis 2-1: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/A...mp;oref=slogin

Post imported post

vtme_grad98 wrote:
    I guess she didn't fit their stereotype enough. Lord knows only fat, ugly, white men carry guns.
    Hey, that makes me feel uncomfortable. Is that hate speech?

Post imported post

I saw one, semi-balanced bit on an NBC website. Rest of it was pretty one-sided. Incidentally, I've got a few (admittedly crappy phone) pics on my album site.

Also, I got to meet Kim. It was a pleasure talking to her, and a good eye-opener for anyone who's heard her story.

Post imported post

"What media bias?"

Attached Images Attached Images

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I wonder how many shots the WaPO had to take to finally get this one, with none of our signs visible: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...012102156.html

I'd almost like to know how many reporters and photographers they sent.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
    "What media bias?"

Tarzan, You knowCheetadeserves better than to be compared to the Washington Post. In his numerous screen appearances he's always demonstrated a deep sagacity surpassing even the best WaPo editors.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    I wonder how many shots the WaPO had to take to finally get this one, with none of our signs visible: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...012102156.html

I'd almost like to know how many reporters and photographers they sent.
    If you want to ask, you can contact the author of the article here.

Anyone interested in writing letters to the editor can find a good rundown of media mentions at the Protest Slutty Guns site. They're all majorly slanted.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

WTOP has an article on their web site with the usual single sided balanced twist about the event. They also show a picture of a man holding the sign "Here Lie Disarmed Victims". However, the picture description states:

Daniel Vann, left, rallies for a bill to close the gun show loophole at the Capitol in Richmond, Va. (AP Photo/Steve Helber)

link: http://www.wtop.com/?nid=600&sid=1330444
    I know that that is not a sign in support of gun control!!!

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    tarzan1888 wrote:
    "What media bias?"¬*

¬*

¬*
    Tarzan, You know¬*Cheeta¬*deserves better than to be compared to the Washington Post.¬* In his numerous screen appearances he's always demonstrated a deep sagacity surpassing even the best WaPo editors.¬*
    I know but I couldn't resist.

Tarzan

Post imported post

Talking in very general terms I do not think the media has a bias. They are looking more for ratings so they can attract advertising so they can make more profit. So the more sensational the story the more they love it. Now with instant news all the time they have to be first with the story without out the real need to waste time on simple things like if the facts are right or not.

Post imported post

thnycav wrote:
    Talking in very general terms I do not think the media has a bias. They are looking more for ratings so they can attract advertising so they can make more profit. So the more sensational the story the more they love it. Now with instant news all the time they have to be first with the story without out the real need to waste time on simple things like if the facts are right or not.
    This bias had nothing to do with sensationalism. It was a plain lie. Pro-gun protestors outnumbered the moms by 3-1. The media reported the opposite on a few occassions or ommitted it entirely...or showed a picture of one lone pro-gun person, carefully hiding the sea of supportive signs.

Post imported post

ama-gi wrote:
    thnycav wrote:
    This bias had nothing to do with sensationalism. It was a plain lie. Pro-gun protestors outnumbered the moms by 3-1. The media reported the opposite on a few occassions or ommitted it entirely...or showed a picture of one lone pro-gun person, carefully hiding the sea of supportive signs.
    ama-giis correct. The media bias exists on both an individual and collective level.

Tarzan

Post imported post

Yes but they could get more symphony from the Mothers. They are looking at demographics. I have studied propaganda analyses in the army. Yes the do have a agenda when they report but they do tend to go for what would be more sensational.

Post imported post

Here's a more balanced story on Monday's events.

Post imported post

This article is in the local Fairfax County rag. I was slightly disappointed to know that Chuck Caputo sponsored this but am not entirely surprised based on some of the anti-gun responses I have received from him via letter and email.

http://tinyurl.com/36fr5r