• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What media bias?

vtme_grad98

imported post

Well, I just finished watching the coverage of the "Lie-in" on WVEC 13 here in Hampton Roads. I'm disappointed to see that they, once again, ignored all the VCDL people there. I'm not surprised by it. But it's still frustrating.

Anyone have any better luck with their local networks?

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

The 5:00 newscast of WWBT-12 (Richmond) briefly noted that "more than 200" counter-protestors were present (moments before they had just said "about 100 gun control protestors...") so I guess that brief acknowledgement that there were more than twice as many of us present is a good thing.... but any mention of numbers was absent in the 6:00 newscast....

67GT390FB

imported post

Bryan,

"3 pistol" Kim and I spoke with you yesterday. I watched the nbc 12 and fox 35 news at 10 reports and they were at least somewhat balanced. Kim watched the channel 8 news and saw nothing reported about our side even though they interviewed her.

Joe

vtme_grad98

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
Bryan,

"3 pistol" Kim and I spoke with you yesterday. I watched the nbc 12 and fox 35 news at 10 reports and they were at least somewhat balanced. Kim watched the channel 8 news and saw nothing reported about our side even though they interviewed her.

Joe
I guess she didn't fit their stereotype enough. Lord knows only fat, ugly, white men carry guns.

Decoligny

imported post

Saw it on CNN Headline news this morning, mentioned only the lie-in protesters, although they did get a good shot of an OCer with a "HERE LIE DEFENSLESS VICTIMS"sign worn over the T-Shirt.

3fgburner

imported post

I saw one, semi-balanced bit on an NBC website. Rest of it was pretty one-sided. Incidentally, I've got a few (admittedly crappy phone) pics on my album site.

Also, I got to meet Kim. It was a pleasure talking to her, and a good eye-opener for anyone who's heard her story.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
"What media bias?"

attachment.php

Tarzan, You knowCheetadeserves better than to be compared to the Washington Post. In his numerous screen appearances he's always demonstrated a deep sagacity surpassing even the best WaPo editors. :D

sjhipple

imported post

Tess wrote:
I wonder how many shots the WaPO had to take to finally get this one, with none of our signs visible: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/21/AR2008012102156.html

I'd almost like to know how many reporters and photographers they sent.

If you want to ask, you can contact the author of the article here.

Anyone interested in writing letters to the editor can find a good rundown of media mentions at the Protest Slutty Guns site. They're all majorly slanted.

Toad

Founder's Club Member
imported post

WTOP has an article on their web site with the usual single sided balanced twist about the event. They also show a picture of a man holding the sign "Here Lie Disarmed Victims". However, the picture description states:

Daniel Vann, left, rallies for a bill to close the gun show loophole at the Capitol in Richmond, Va. (AP Photo/Steve Helber)

link: http://www.wtop.com/?nid=600&sid=1330444
I know that that is not a sign in support of gun control!!!

tarzan1888

imported post

Citizen wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:
"What media bias?" 

attachment.php

Tarzan, You know Cheeta deserves better than to be compared to the Washington Post.  In his numerous screen appearances he's always demonstrated a deep sagacity surpassing even the best WaPo editors.  :D

I know but I couldn't resist.

Tarzan

thnycav

imported post

Talking in very general terms I do not think the media has a bias. They are looking more for ratings so they can attract advertising so they can make more profit. So the more sensational the story the more they love it. Now with instant news all the time they have to be first with the story without out the real need to waste time on simple things like if the facts are right or not.

sjhipple

imported post

thnycav wrote:
Talking in very general terms I do not think the media has a bias. They are looking more for ratings so they can attract advertising so they can make more profit. So the more sensational the story the more they love it. Now with instant news all the time they have to be first with the story without out the real need to waste time on simple things like if the facts are right or not.
This bias had nothing to do with sensationalism. It was a plain lie. Pro-gun protestors outnumbered the moms by 3-1. The media reported the opposite on a few occassions or ommitted it entirely...or showed a picture of one lone pro-gun person, carefully hiding the sea of supportive signs.

tarzan1888

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
thnycav wrote:
This bias had nothing to do with sensationalism. It was a plain lie. Pro-gun protestors outnumbered the moms by 3-1. The media reported the opposite on a few occassions or ommitted it entirely...or showed a picture of one lone pro-gun person, carefully hiding the sea of supportive signs.

ama-giis correct. The media bias exists on both an individual and collective level.

Tarzan

thnycav

imported post

Yes but they could get more symphony from the Mothers. They are looking at demographics. I have studied propaganda analyses in the army. Yes the do have a agenda when they report but they do tend to go for what would be more sensational.