Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Va. Tech Families Protest State Gun Law

  1. #1
    Founder's Club Member Jim675's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bellevue, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,037

    Post imported post

    http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D8UAM10O0.html

    Goddard, a Virginia Tech senior who was shot four times in the April 16 massacre, was taken aback, then said: "I feel sorry for you - the fact that you feel you need to protect yourself in every situation.
    "You're afraid of crazy situations happening. I've lived through this and I know that I can't continue in my life afraid of things," he said, adding that he put his "full trust" in the police to protect society.

    He was shot four times and probably knew many others who were removed in body bags and he still believes police are the sole answer.

    You just can't buy (or change) that kind of loyalty.



  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    I can understand where he is coming from....

    But if he was to think back and see how long it too the police to get there..... He could see the need to be armed for those "situations" you just never think will happen.

    But it is his choice to not be armed and I can live with that.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Rocky River, OH, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,086

    Post imported post

    Jim675 wrote:
    http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D8UAM10O0.html

    Goddard, a Virginia Tech senior who was shot four times in the April 16 massacre, was taken aback, then said: "I feel sorry for you - the fact that you feel you need to protect yourself in every situation.
    "You're afraid of crazy situations happening. I've lived through this and I know that I can't continue in my life afraid of things," he said, adding that he put his "full trust" in the police to protect society.

    He was shot four times and probably knew many others who were removed in body bags and he still believes police are the sole answer.

    You just can't buy (or change) that kind of loyalty.

    And the alternative is? To NOT protect yourself "in every situation"? Call me eccentric, but I've just never been able to see the benefit to me of LETTING myself be a victim of a violent crime. Now if somebody ELSE makes that choice for themself, that's silly, but THEIR choice. Unfortunately, such people almost NEVER want to leave that choice to the individual. They usually want everyone ELSE to be victims as well. Herd defense is for okapi, not people, and I simply refuse to play.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,244

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    But it is his choice to not be armed and I can live with that.
    Me too. What I can't live with is him trying to force his choice on me by regulating my choices.

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,764

    Post imported post

    We do not have the right to force others to see the Truth in our way.
    Mahatma Ghandi
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richmond Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    636

    Post imported post

    I'm afraid the student was thinking inside the box. In the Va Tech incident aBlacksburg police officer and a Va State Trooperwere the first on scene and Cho was still firing, less than a minute after the first 9-1-1 call. Those two officers thought they were going to have pay with their lives that day. That story and other stories that have been shared with the Va Tech family is the families are seeing and understanding right now. One day and it may not be soon the tide will turn and these people will change their mind. Right now they are still overwhelmed with the entire situation. Only time will tell.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    363

    Post imported post

    Hopefully one day he'll realize how stupid that sounds.

    Apply his logic to another situation:

    My apartment complex burnt down, 10 died, I almost died, 3rd degree burns over 80% of my body. But hell, I'm still here, little crispybutI don't need a smoke detector or fire extinguisher, I'm not gonna live in fear! I sure next time the firemen will get here just in the nick oftime.

    Its too bad we can'tsterilize people like this.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,244

    Post imported post

    Jim675 wrote:
    I can't continue in my life afraid of things," he said, adding that he put his "full trust" in the police to protect society.
    <sarcasm>

    Agreed. That's why I don't wear a seatbelt, lock the doors to my house or my car, check to make sure my children don't wander off or tell them not to talk to strangers. Idon't use smoke detectors in my house or have flood, fire, life, or car insurance. There's no reason to plan for negative outcomes because that is living in fear.

    I trust the police to always be there to rescue me and ignore the constant stream of facts to the contrary. I trust them the way a little child would trust a parent: unquestioningly.

    And if you don't do the same, you're naive.

    </sarcasm>

  9. #9
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,726

    Post imported post

    I do believe in spooks. I do believe in spooks. I do! I do! I do! I do believe in spooks. I do believe in spooks. I do! I do! I do! I do!

    Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking.
    How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

    Is there a place where there isn't any trouble? Do you suppose there is such a place? There must be. It's not a place you can get to by a boat or a train. It's far, far away. Behind the moon, beyond the rain.

    The great OZ has spoken!!!!

  10. #10
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Troy, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    544

    Post imported post

    color of law wrote:
    I do believe in spooks. I do believe in spooks. I do! I do! I do! I do believe in spooks. I do believe in spooks. I do! I do! I do! I do!

    Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking.
    How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

    Is there a place where there isn't any trouble? Do you suppose there is such a place? There must be. It's not a place you can get to by a boat or a train. It's far, far away. Behind the moon, beyond the rain.

    The great OZ has spoken!!!!
    Will probably still be laughing about this tomorrow!

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    Goddard, a Virginia Tech senior who was shot four times in the April 16 massacre, was taken aback, then said: "I feel sorry for you - the fact that you feel you need to protect yourself in every situation. "You're afraid of crazy situations happening. I've lived through this and I know that I can't continue in my life afraid of things," he said, adding that he put his "full trust" in the police to protect society.
    He really doesn't understand. We are not afraid. I do not have casualty insurance because I'm afraid. I do not wear my seatbelt beause I am afraid. I do not study martial arts because I am afraid. I don't take vitamins because I am afraid. And I don't carry a pistol because I am afraid. Those are all proactive measures to ensure the safety of myself and my family. Because I do those things I do not need to be afraid because I have covered my bases as much as possible.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, USA
    Posts
    60

    Post imported post

    DrewGunner wrote:
    Hopefully one day he'll realize how stupid that sounds.

    Apply his logic to another situation:

    My apartment complex burnt down, 10 died, I almost died, 3rd degree burns over 80% of my body. But hell, I'm still here, little crispybutI don't need a smoke detector or fire extinguisher, I'm not gonna live in fear! I sure next time the firemen will get here just in the nick oftime.

    Its too bad we can'tsterilize people like this.
    "Sterilize people like this"? I certainly hope you don't mean what it sounds like. To say its offensive is putting it politely.

    In any case, I think its pretty simple - people can choose to do what they want - the key is having the *choice* and I think thats what we're pushing for. I don't want to make anyone carry a firearm if they truly and honestly don't want to. There's always education and enlightenment in the long run.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    363

    Post imported post

    ChronoSphere wrote:
    DrewGunner wrote:
    Hopefully one day he'll realize how stupid that sounds.

    Apply his logic to another situation:

    My apartment complex burnt down, 10 died, I almost died, 3rd degree burns over 80% of my body. But hell, I'm still here, little crispybutI don't need a smoke detector or fire extinguisher, I'm not gonna live in fear! I sure next time the firemen will get here just in the nick oftime.

    Its too bad we can'tsterilize people like this.
    "Sterilize people like this"? I certainly hope you don't mean what it sounds like. To say its offensive is putting it politely.

    In any case, I think its pretty simple - people can choose to do what they want - the key is having the *choice* and I think thats what we're pushing for. I don't want to make anyone carry a firearm if they truly and honestly don't want to. There's always education and enlightenment in the long run.
    Webster says: (1):to deprive of the power of reproducing. Yes thats what I meant.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, USA
    Posts
    60

    Post imported post

    So you're allowed to say what you want, according to the 1st, carry a weapon according to the 2nd, but if you don't like what they say you want to sterilize them? Yeah. ok. Freedom of speech goes both ways.

  15. #15
    Regular Member MetalChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    1,215

    Post imported post

    ChronoSphere wrote:
    So you're allowed to say what you want, according to the 1st, carry a weapon according to the 2nd, but if you don't like what they say you want to sterilize them? Yeah. ok. Freedom of speech goes both ways.
    He could still talk if he had his balls chopped off...I don't see what the issue is here. :P

    :celebrate

  16. #16
    Regular Member MetalChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    1,215

    Post imported post

    Double-tap

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    USAF_MetalChris wrote:
    ChronoSphere wrote:
    So you're allowed to say what you want, according to the 1st, carry a weapon according to the 2nd, but if you don't like what they say you want to sterilize them? Yeah. ok. Freedom of speech goes both ways.
    He could still talk if he had his balls chopped off...I don't see what the issue is here. :P

    :celebrate
    LMAO. Not taking sides in a childish argument, but still LMAO.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Centreville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,761

    Post imported post

    Chrono - taking the sterlize statment another way, in another light, how productive is this line of thinking to society as a whole, really? Think about the costs involved with it, not just monetarily for a moment. We sterlize child molesters (chemically), due to some determined and defined mental defect - how is this line of thinking different? Aren't both pysche's detrimental to society at large - Not trying to be the thought police really, just being devil's advocate. I mean, you could make the connection and see how getting this gene out of general population by not allowing pro-creation would be a good thing.

    That aside, I think Mr. Goddard is still suffering from PST to be making the statements he is. I feel for him and wish him a speedy recovery.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    363

    Post imported post

    ChronoSphere wrote:
    ...you're allowed to say what you want, according to the 1st, carry a weapon according to the 2nd...
    No ****? Thanks for clearing that up for me.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Lower End of NoVa, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    719

    Post imported post

    color of law wrote:
    I do believe in spooks. I do believe in spooks. I do! I do! I do! I do believe in spooks. I do believe in spooks. I do! I do! I do! I do!
    I love it -- Thanks for the Friday afternoon laugh

    DC

  21. #21
    Regular Member XD40coyote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    woman stuck in Maryland, ,
    Posts
    709

    Post imported post

    I know someone who makes the same stupid statements as Goddard, and he has no excuse except he is old and maybe his mind is slowly going. This is a man who is a retired corrections officer, who had been in a couple prison riots, and evenbeen held hostage during 1- at least this is what he has told me. State Police andI don't know who else keep trying to shove a ccw permit onto him and he keeps refusing it. I saw him yesterday and he tells me he is doing cash deposits for some business and said he had a huge sum he last deposited. He then complains about people trying to shove those pesky ccw's into his face , and that he can just call the police if something happens. I asked him " what if after you hand the money over, the criminal(s) decide to shoot you anyway?". He had some trouble with that question LOL, but was just being terribly stubborn still. I mean he lives just outside Baltimore city, not exactly a safe place to begin with. I also told him I was all into the idea of ccw and that I was even reading about open carry. He thought I was plain nuts! This guy also is into guns and has a collection of them.

    I suppose this guy and Goddard should get together to discuss how much faith they have in the police and how personal protections against rampaging bad guys is never needed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •