• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Va. Tech Families Protest State Gun Law

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20080122/D8UAM10O0.html

[font="Verdana,Sans-serif"] Goddard, a Virginia Tech senior who was shot four times in the April 16 massacre, was taken aback, then said: "I feel sorry for you - the fact that you feel you need to protect yourself in every situation.
"You're afraid of crazy situations happening. I've lived through this and I know that I can't continue in my life afraid of things," he said, adding that he put his "full trust" in the police to protect society.
[/font]

He was shot four times and probably knew many others who were removed in body bags and he still believes police are the sole answer.

You just can't buy (or change) that kind of loyalty.

LEO 229

imported post

I can understand where he is coming from....

But if he was to think back and see how long it too the police to get there..... He could see the need to be armed for those "situations" you just never think will happen.

But it is his choice to not be armed and I can live with that.

Deanimator

imported post

Jim675 wrote:
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20080122/D8UAM10O0.html

[font=Verdana,Sans-serif]Goddard, a Virginia Tech senior who was shot four times in the April 16 massacre, was taken aback, then said: "I feel sorry for you - the fact that you feel you need to protect yourself in every situation.
"You're afraid of crazy situations happening. I've lived through this and I know that I can't continue in my life afraid of things," he said, adding that he put his "full trust" in the police to protect society.
[/font]

He was shot four times and probably knew many others who were removed in body bags and he still believes police are the sole answer.

You just can't buy (or change) that kind of loyalty.
And the alternative is? To NOT protect yourself "in every situation"? Call me eccentric, but I've just never been able to see the benefit to me of LETTING myself be a victim of a violent crime. Now if somebody ELSE makes that choice for themself, that's silly, but THEIR choice. Unfortunately, such people almost NEVER want to leave that choice to the individual. They usually want everyone ELSE to be victims as well. Herd defense is for okapi, not people, and I simply refuse to play.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

We do not have the right to force others to see the Truth in our way.
Mahatma Ghandi

kenny

imported post

I'm afraid the student was thinking inside the box. In the Va Tech incident aBlacksburg police officer and a Va State Trooperwere the first on scene and Cho was still firing, less than a minute after the first 9-1-1 call. Those two officers thought they were going to have pay with their lives that day. That story and other stories that have been shared with the Va Tech family is the families are seeing and understanding right now. One day and it may not be soon the tide will turn and these people will change their mind. Right now they are still overwhelmed with the entire situation. Only time will tell.

DrewGunner

imported post

Hopefully one day he'll realize how stupid that sounds.

Apply his logic to another situation:

My apartment complex burnt down, 10 died, I almost died, 3rd degree burns over 80% of my body. But hell, I'm still here, little crispybutI don't need a smoke detector or fire extinguisher, I'm not gonna live in fear! I sure next time the firemen will get here just in the nick oftime.

Its too bad we can'tsterilize people like this.

sjhipple

imported post

Jim675 wrote:
[font=Verdana,Sans-serif]I can't continue in my life afraid of things," he said, adding that he put his "full trust" in the police to protect society.
[/font]

<sarcasm>

Agreed. That's why I don't wear a seatbelt, lock the doors to my house or my car, check to make sure my children don't wander off or tell them not to talk to strangers. Idon't use smoke detectors in my house or have flood, fire, life, or car insurance. There's no reason to plan for negative outcomes because that is living in fear.

I trust the police to always be there to rescue me and ignore the constant stream of facts to the contrary. I trust them the way a little child would trust a parent: unquestioningly.

And if you don't do the same, you're naive.

</sarcasm>

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I do believe in spooks. I do believe in spooks. I do! I do! I do! I do believe in spooks. I do believe in spooks. I do! I do! I do! I do!

Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking.
How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

Is there a place where there isn't any trouble? Do you suppose there is such a place? There must be. It's not a place you can get to by a boat or a train. It's far, far away. Behind the moon, beyond the rain.

The great OZ has spoken!!!!

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

color of law wrote:
I do believe in spooks. I do believe in spooks. I do! I do! I do! I do believe in spooks. I do believe in spooks. I do! I do! I do! I do!

Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking.
How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?

Is there a place where there isn't any trouble? Do you suppose there is such a place? There must be. It's not a place you can get to by a boat or a train. It's far, far away. Behind the moon, beyond the rain.

The great OZ has spoken!!!!
Will probably still be laughing about this tomorrow!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

[font="Verdana,Sans-serif"]
Goddard, a Virginia Tech senior who was shot four times in the April 16 massacre, was taken aback, then said: "I feel sorry for you - the fact that you feel you need to protect yourself in every situation. "You're afraid of crazy situations happening. I've lived through this and I know that I can't continue in my life afraid of things," he said, adding that he put his "full trust" in the police to protect society.

[/font]
[font="Verdana,Sans-serif"]He really doesn't understand. We are not afraid. I do not have casualty insurance because I'm afraid. I do not wear my seatbelt beause I am afraid. I do not study martial arts because I am afraid. I don't take vitamins because I am afraid. And I don't carry a pistol because I am afraid. Those are all proactive measures to ensure the safety of myself and my family. Because I do those things I do not need to be afraid because I have covered my bases as much as possible.
[/font]

ChronoSphere

imported post

DrewGunner wrote:

My apartment complex burnt down, 10 died, I almost died, 3rd degree burns over 80% of my body. But hell, I'm still here, little crispybutI don't need a smoke detector or fire extinguisher, I'm not gonna live in fear! I sure next time the firemen will get here just in the nick oftime.

"Sterilize people like this"? I certainly hope you don't mean what it sounds like. To say its offensive is putting it politely.

In any case, I think its pretty simple - people can choose to do what they want - the key is having the *choice* and I think thats what we're pushing for. I don't want to make anyone carry a firearm if they truly and honestly don't want to. There's always education and enlightenment in the long run.

DrewGunner

imported post

ChronoSphere wrote:
DrewGunner wrote:

"Sterilize people like this"? I certainly hope you don't mean what it sounds like. To say its offensive is putting it politely.

In any case, I think its pretty simple - people can choose to do what they want - the key is having the *choice* and I think thats what we're pushing for. I don't want to make anyone carry a firearm if they truly and honestly don't want to. There's always education and enlightenment in the long run.
Webster says: (1):to deprive of the power of reproducing. Yes thats what I meant.

ChronoSphere

imported post

So you're allowed to say what you want, according to the 1st, carry a weapon according to the 2nd, but if you don't like what they say you want to sterilize them? Yeah. ok. Freedom of speech goes both ways.

MetalChris

imported post

ChronoSphere wrote:
So you're allowed to say what you want, according to the 1st, carry a weapon according to the 2nd, but if you don't like what they say you want to sterilize them? Yeah. ok. Freedom of speech goes both ways.
He could still talk if he had his balls chopped off...I don't see what the issue is here. :p

:celebrate

Tomahawk

imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
ChronoSphere wrote:
He could still talk if he had his balls chopped off...I don't see what the issue is here. :p

:celebrate
LMAO. Not taking sides in a childish argument, but still LMAO.

bohdi

imported post

Chrono - taking the sterlize statment another way, in another light, how productive is this line of thinking to society as a whole, really? Think about the costs involved with it, not just monetarily for a moment. We sterlize child molesters (chemically), due to some determined and defined mental defect - how is this line of thinking different? Aren't both pysche's detrimental to society at large - Not trying to be the thought police really, just being devil's advocate. I mean, you could make the connection and see how getting this gene out of general population by not allowing pro-creation would be a good thing.

That aside, I think Mr. Goddard is still suffering from PST to be making the statements he is. I feel for him and wish him a speedy recovery.