• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can a CA Resident Bring back a shotgun bought in another state?

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

I have a friend visiting from CA later this month. She wants me to teach her to shoot and wants to purchase a pump shotgun while in VA. Can she bring this back to CA? I did some reasearch and couldn't find anything.

Decoligny

imported post

[align=left]As long as it doesn't meet the requirements for an assault weapon as specified below, then an ordinary run of the mill shotgun should be no problem. [/align]
[align=left]This is taken from the link listed by Agent 19[/align]
[align=left]Prohited Shotguns:[/align]
[align=left](c) All of the following specified shotguns:[/align]
[align=left] (1) Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12.[/align]
[align=left] (2) Striker 12.[/align]
[align=left] (3) The Streetsweeper type S/S Inc, SS/12.[/align]

[align=left](6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:[/align]
[align=left] (A) A folding or telescoping stock.[/align]
[align=left] (B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.[/align]
(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.

(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

Decoligny

imported post

You cannot purchase from an out of state private party and have the gun shipped to you without having the gun shipped from an FFL to an FFL.

However, if you are a California resident, and you meet a guy in another state,and he wants to sell you a shotgun, and private party to private party sales are legal in that state, you can bring your new shotgun back home with you and you won't get into any legal troubles.