• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mom charged after 4 yr old takes handgun to school

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mom charged after her 4 year old took a loaded handgun to school.
Mother charged in school gun case
January 22, 2008 12:15 am
BY ELLEN BILTZ

The mother of a 4-year-old Bowling Green Primary School student who authorities said brought a gun to school last week, was charged Saturday.

Caroline County Sheriff Tony Lippa said the woman, who was not named to protect the identity of her child, was charged with recklessly leaving a firearm so as to endanger a child under the age of 14, which is a class 3 misdemeanor.

Lippa said the mother told police she kept the gun loaded and in plain sight for protection for the child and herself.

He said a lesson should be learned from the incident and parents should remember to separate ammo and guns and to get gun locks, which are free at the Sheriff's Office, for their guns.

He said however, that he understands there's a tradeoff for those who want their gun for immediate use, such as protection, as in this case.

Lippa said he was not sure whether the woman would face any additional charges, but he said she will go to court on at least the one charge Feb. 26. She was charged in a summons.

The loaded pistol was found in the boy's possession last Thursday when a fellow student spotted it and told a teacher.

The police were then called, the report taken and the gun confiscated, according to previous police reports.

Lippa said it's important to remember and be thankful that no one was hurt.

"We avoided a tragedy," he said.
Ellen Biltz: 540/374-5424
Email: ebiltz@freelancestar.com

First reported story
Boy, 4, brings gun to school in Caroline

Make a post about this story on FredTalk.
Young boy brings loaded pistol to school but no one is injured

by ellen biltz and jeff branscome

Date published: 1/18/2008

A 4-year-old brought a loaded pistol to Bowling Green Primary School yesterday, but didn't intend to hurt anyone, according to the Caroline County Sheriff's Office and school officials.

Lt. Col. Michael Hall of the Sheriff's Office said no one was hurt and immediate action was taken after the boy was seen in class with the gun.

The weapon was confiscated and the boy's family was called, he said.

The Sheriff's Office is investigating but no charges are expected, Hall said.

According to Virginia law, "recklessly" leaving a loaded firearm within reach of anyone under age 14 is a Class 3 misdemeanor.

The student will be suspended, said School Board member Tamara Redding, who said she spoke with Bowling Green Primary Principal Debra Holt.

Another student saw the gun in the boy's backpack and thought it was a toy but told the teacher anyway, Redding said.

The teacher immediately took the backpack to the office, she said. "My understanding is that [the gun] was never out of the backpack."

Redding said she thinks students aren't even allowed to bring toy guns to school.

Holt called the student's mother and asked her to come to the school before calling police, Redding said.

In a letter sent home to parents, Holt wrote that there was never a threat.

"Upon discovery, the situation was appropriately and immediately resolved," she wrote. "No one was injured, nor was there ever any threat of injury."
Ellen Biltz: 540/374-5424
Email: ebiltz@freelancestar.com

LEO 229

imported post

I can only say three words here....

Irresponsible Gun Owner

LEO 229

imported post

They report that guns in the home are more likely to kill those that live there.

Now you know how it starts!!

TEX1N

imported post

She gives a bad name to the rest of us responsible gun owners. Assuming the facts pan out, I'd throw the book at her.

At least they didn't charge the boy with a felony... ;)

tarzan1888

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
....They report that guns in the home are more likely to kill those that live there.....

"They" report a lot of things that are not true, such as Man induced global climate change.

As far as guns in the home killing those who live there, which in this case I believe you are referring to the child,.......Well Ok lets talk accidents and small children.

Latest Statistics Death under 10/year

Transport........................1462

Burned/fire.......................924

Drowning..........................736

Poisoning............................106

Natural/environmental.......54

Firearms.............................26

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/deaths.htm (Last complete year info death and injuries 2002)

Tarzan

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Obviously it wasn't in plain sight ALL the time - the child managed to secrete it and take it to school, and the woman didn't notice?

This is the disadvantage to the "in plain sight" rule. Convenient-to-hand, nearby, etc. are appropriate when there are children around - out where they can get it is not.

We could make some big statements if we are willing to make this a rallying point - a "policing our own" maypole - that responsible gun owners aren't willing to make excuses for those who choose not to be responsible.

Neplusultra

imported post

Tess wrote:
Obviously it wasn't in plain sight ALL the time - the child managed to secrete it and take it to school, and the woman didn't notice?

This is the disadvantage to the "in plain sight" rule. Convenient-to-hand, nearby, etc. are appropriate when there are children around - out where they can get it is not.

We could make some big statements if we are willing to make this a rallying point - a "policing our own" maypole - that responsible gun owners aren't willing to make excuses for those who choose not to be responsible.
Hey Tess,

Sounds like another issue is that mom didn't talk to her kid enough about how dangerous a gun is and that they are not allowed to touch it. I hope if she did that the kid gets a good licking too, she sure will.

As I've said before if I have kids one day I will certainly let them know they can see and hold the gun anytime they want but they must ask me first and if I ever catch them playing with it without my permission................

tarzan1888

imported post

Tess wrote:
...........responsible gun owners aren't willing to make excuses for those who choose not to be responsible.

Attachments

• Clapping.gif
    Clapping.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 213

captkirk9195

imported post

Actually, it reminds me of when a friend was over with her child in my house. I have at least one gun at arms reach from my easy chair. I told her not to let the child away as I had a few guns in the house.

Later, she let the child away, and I immediately went to where the one "low" lying gun was. (no-where near where the child was) and put it out of danger.

I rarely have children in the house, so it normally isn't an issue.

Just me being paranoid about a kid being near a gun without guidence, training, and/or supervision.

HTH

Jason

tarzan1888

imported post

captkirk9195 wrote:
Actually, it reminds me of when a friend was over with her child in my house. I have at least one gun at arms reach from my easy chair. I told her not to let the child away as I had a few guns in the house.

Later, she let the child away, and I immediately went to where the one "low" lying gun was. (no-where near where the child was) and put it out of danger.

Just me being paranoid about a kid being near a gun without guidence, training, and/or supervision.

HTH

Jason

A couple of years back my 5 year old granddaughter was spending the summer with us (Actually with her dad, who still lived in our area and her mom, out daughter was with her new husband...Long story...but.) That first day I took mygranddaughter and showed her the guns that I keep loaded, talked to her about why I have them, why Icarry a gunand charged her not to touch them.

Some weeks later we were hiking in the woods andI was pointing out different things to my wife and granddaughter. We came across some bear scat and I pointed this out along with the associated tracks.

My granddaughter looked at the spore with big eyes and then looking up at me she said "Grandpa, do you have your gun?" I replied in the affirmative and she relaxed and said, "Oh good" and off we went.

Tarzan

DeadCenter

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
captkirk9195 wrote:

HTH

Jason

A couple of years back my 5 year old granddaughter was spending the summer with us (Actually with her dad, who still lived in our area and her mom, out daughter was with her new husband...Long story...but.) That first day I took mygranddaughter and showed her the guns that I keep loaded, talked to her about why I have them, why Icarry a gunand charged her not to touch them.

Some weeks later we were hiking in the woods andI was pointing out different things to my wife and granddaughter. We came across some bear scat and I pointed this out along with the associated tracks.

My granddaughter looked at the spore with big eyes and then looking up at me she said "Grandpa, do you have your gun?" I replied in the affirmative and she relaxed and said, "Oh good" and off we went.

Tarzan

I like it -- :D

DC

Thundar

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
The loaded pistol was found in the boy's possession last Thursday
The police were then called, the report taken and the gun confiscated, according to previous police reports.
The teacher immediately took the backpack to the office, she said. "My understanding is that [the gun] was never out of the backpack."

"Upon discovery, the situation was appropriately and immediately resolved," she wrote. "No one was injured, nor was there ever any threat of injury."
O.K. so we have an overzealous teacher trampling the 4th amendment rights of the 4 year old and the police confiscating personal property, even though they did not write a summons for any wrong doing to the child. The liberally biased press didn't even try to get the students side of this story. Are we headed toward a police state here?

To arms, to arms!! The red coats are coming, to arms, to arms!!