• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cary NC Open Carry

Jdogg

imported post

I emailed the police cheif in cary and they informed me that open carry was not allowed and would be considered "going armed to the terror of the public" that is what I got from it, just courious what ya'll think. From what I have read this is not true and they can not make a law the supeseades a stat law.

Looking for input.

Thanks

Weak 9mm

imported post

Well, not only that but going armed to the terror of the public would require you to:

1. Arm yourself with an unusual and dangerous weapon,
2. For the explicit purpose of terrifying others and
3. Go about on public highways
4. In a manner intending to cause terror to others

Open Carry is NOT going armed to the terror of the public. While they may have some other ordinance about OC, they still couldn't technically charge you with that. Of course they just told you they'll surely try though. It's nice to know that they threatened to charge you with a crime you did not even mention committing.

Weak 9mm

imported post

It seems to me that it's okay to OC in Wake county, but I guess Cary thinks it's above the state and the county, lol.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

This is against state premeption law. The town of Cary doesn't have the authority to implement such a law, and it behooves you to follow up your conversation with this information.

Weak 9mm

imported post

I would like to know what they have to say about this as well. Why do they think they can threaten you with false charges like that? I guess one thing they wont need to worry about anytime soon is me buying or doing anything within their city limits.

Jdogg

imported post

I replied back with a couple questions.

Mr. XXXXXXXX

I read through all the information you sent me but I'm unclear on a couple things.

1. "Going Armed to the Terror of the People" would mean the I was acting suspicious or aggressive towards somebody or something with a firearm in hand correct? Not just walking around with it in a holster on my hip.

2. I thought I read that in NC we have a premeption law that would allow for open carry in all of NC regardless of city code. With that said I understand that carry on state and federal grounds is not allowed.

I appreciate you help on this. I'm not trying to be argumentative I'm just curious about this.

Regards,

XXXXXXXXX

Weak 9mm

imported post

Did Jdogg message you the individual's email address yet? I wonder what their response will be. Perhaps a SWAT team raid is in order?

OBXMIKE

imported post

Cary:

Containment

Area for

Retired

Yankees

Need I say more? :cuss::lol:

J/K ... used to use that back in college at UNC to razz the Cary folks!

Shame they don't get it. Kind of like Chapel Hill and their minimum size limit for OC ordinance. Just need someone with the moxy (and the $$) to test the issue in the courts system.

Any volunteers? :uhoh:

Jdogg

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
I hope you didn't email from home or leave a trail that leads back to you because I'm pretty sure someone has their eye on you now... :uhoh:
I don't think I have done anything wrong that I need to worry about where I emailed from.

PT111

imported post

OBXMIKE wrote:
Cary:

Containment

Area for

Retired

Yankees

Need I say more? :cuss::lol:

J/K ... used to use that back in college at UNC to razz the Cary folks!

Shame they don't get it. Kind of like Chapel Hill and their minimum size limit for OC ordinance. Just need someone with the moxy (and the $$) to test the issue in the courts system.

Any volunteers? :uhoh:
According to an article in National Geographic it is:

Containment

Area for

Relocated

Yankees

Most are not retired, retirees can't afford to live there. :cuss:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Cary, NC has a statute that uis preempted by state statute and state Const. law ruling - hire a lawyer and file a civil action to have the ordaince delcared invalid.

OBXMIKE

imported post

Relocated yankees!! That's it!!:banghead:

Stuff gets a little fuzzy after a few years........

.40 cal.........Licensed to do what? :uhoh: