Thread: Why is PA an Orange Carry state and not Green?

Post imported post

From the definitions given, it seems like it would be green since having an LTCF allows OC everywhere on foot or in a car?

State Researcher

Post imported post

Probably because it's an "Open Carry" map and PA is anomylous because you can't OC in Philly without a permit. Similar to how Delaware is with Dover, which is why, I think, we're an Orange state as well.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Yup, it's because you cannot OC in Philly.

The official OCDO defintion of orange is "Open carry permitted generally by state law, lacks preempton or entails significant restrictions."

Green is 'Fully preempted open carry permitted on foot and in vehicles with a license; localities fully preempted."
    ---

Post imported post

Also, you cannot open carry in a car without a permit, but on foot outside philly you can oc with no permit and that is why it is orange.

Post imported post

The way I read it was that with a license you can open carry anywhere, even Philly. So I thought green applied. Not that it matters, just wondering.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

DJ TURNz wrote:
    The way I read it was that with a license you can open carry anywhere, even Philly. So I thought green applied.
    Green means you MUST have a carry permit to OC - that does not apply to PA in all circumstances.

Post imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
    Yup, it's because you cannot OC in Philly.

The official OCDO defintion of orange is "Open carry permitted generally by state law, lacks preempton or entails significant restrictions."

Green is 'Fully preempted open carry permitted on foot and in vehicles with a license; localities fully preempted."
    Technically Pennsylvania is fully pre-empted, it's just that our state law requires a permit to carry in any form in cities of the first class (Philadelphia)