• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why is PA an Orange Carry state and not Green?

DJ TURNz

imported post

From the definitions given, it seems like it would be green since having an LTCF allows OC everywhere on foot or in a car?

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Probably because it's an "Open Carry" map and PA is anomylous because you can't OC in Philly without a permit. Similar to how Delaware is with Dover, which is why, I think, we're an Orange state as well.

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yup, it's because you cannot OC in Philly.

The official OCDO defintion of orange is "Open carry permitted generally by state law, lacks preempton or entails significant restrictions."

Green is 'Fully preempted open carry permitted on foot and in vehicles with a license; localities fully preempted."

Swampbeast

imported post

Also, you cannot open carry in a car without a permit, but on foot outside philly you can oc with no permit and that is why it is orange.

DJ TURNz

imported post

The way I read it was that with a license you can open carry anywhere, even Philly. So I thought green applied. Not that it matters, just wondering.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

DJ TURNz wrote:
The way I read it was that with a license you can open carry anywhere, even Philly. So I thought green applied.
Green means you MUST have a carry permit to OC - that does not apply to PA in all circumstances.

danp

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
Yup, it's because you cannot OC in Philly.

The official OCDO defintion of orange is "Open carry permitted generally by state law, lacks preempton or entails significant restrictions."

Green is 'Fully preempted open carry permitted on foot and in vehicles with a license; localities fully preempted."
Technically Pennsylvania is fully pre-empted, it's just that our state law requires a permit to carry in any form in cities of the first class (Philadelphia)