• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

USSC Sets Date For Oral Arguments In DC Gun Ban Case

Toymaker

imported post

http://www.nbc4.com/news/15113121/detail.html?dl=headlineclick

WASHINGTON -- The Supreme Court has set a date for hearing arguments in the D.C. gun ban case.

Oral arguments will take place March 18 at 10 a.m.

The court will examine the District's 31-year-old ban on handguns, one of the strictest gun-control laws in the nation.

A federal appeals court struck down the ban in March as incompatible with the Second Amendment.

At issue is whether the Second Amendment of the Constitution protects an individual's right to own guns or instead merely sets forth the collective right of states to maintain militias.

unrequited

imported post

Are SCOTUS cases open to the public?

**edit** They are!

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/visiting/visitorsguidetooralargument.pdf

All oral arguments are open to the public, but seating is limited and on a first-come, first-seated basis. Before a session begins, two lines form on the plaza in front of the building. One is for those who wish to attend an entire argument, and the other, a three-minute line, is for those who wish to observe the Court in session only briefly. Please do not hold a space in either line for others who have not yet arrived.

Seating for the first argument begins at 9:30 a.m. and seating for the three-minute line begins at 10 a.m. The locations for these lines are marked with signs and there is a police officer on duty to answer your questions.

Visitors should be aware that cases may attract large crowds, with lines forming before the building opens. Obviously there are unavoidable delays associated with processing and seating large numbers of visitors, and your cooperation and patience are appreciated.

Court police officers will make every effort to inform you as soon as possible whether you can expect to secure a seat in the Courtroom.

Groups with reserved seats should line up to the right of the three-minute line.

You will go through a security checkpoint as you enter the building and again as you enter the Courtroom. Weapons or other dangerous or illegal items are not allowed on the grounds or in the building. Please refrain from taking the following items into the Courtroom when Court is in session: cameras, radios, pagers, tape players, cell phones, tape recorders, other electronic equipment, hats, overcoats, magazines and books, briefcases and luggage. Sunglasses, identification tags (other than military), display buttons and inappropriate clothing may not be worn. A checkroom is available on the first floor to check coats and other personal belongings. Coin operated (quarters only) lockers for cameras and other valuables are available. The checkroom closes 30 minutes after Court adjourns.

We do not recommend taking infants or small children into the courtroom.

When the Court adjourns for lunch all persons must leave the Courtroom and the Great Hall. Persons attending the afternoon session must line up again on the Front Plaza to gain admission.

0_o

OCDO/VCDL Group? If all else fails, I'd definitely wait in line for this show. I spent 14 hours waiting for a Shigeru Miyamoto signature, 13 hours for my Wii, 5 hours for Rock Band, I can wait a couple hours for first-hand seats.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm excited that there is finally a date set. I'm worried that this is going to go the wrong way. We should know in 3-5 months depending how long they take.