• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia college students groups lobby for right to carry on campus

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Video: http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0108/489520_video.html?ref=newsstory[may not work]

Text: http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0108/489520.html

College students across Virginia are heading to Richmond this weekend to lobbying for two bills allowing concealed weapons on campus.

"There was a lotta talk after Tech that a lot of different issues would have to be dealt with, and this is one we felt needed to be addressed," explained GeorgeMason University student Andrew Dysart.

Dysart heads the group Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. They are against an administrative ban at GMU and other state schools that forbids anyone to carry a gun on campus, even though Virginia law allows citizens to have guns with a permit.

Dysart says the tragedy at Virginia Tech and the shootings last month in Colorado underscore the need for law-abiding citizens to protect themselves.

But not all students feel that way.

"If you have a person who got upset in an argument and whips out a gun, next thing is it could escalate and somebody gets shot," said Parker Berg.

"There's a reason why guns aren't allowed," stated Stephanie Laspada. "I think that increases chance for something to happen like at VA Tech."

Dysart's group will be meeting with members of the House Militia, Police and Public Safety Committee Monday, the same committee that killed legislation requiring unlicensed sellers at gun shows to conduct criminal checks.