• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just trust us, you're safe

nickerj1

imported post

http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/pages/...n=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1

A man alerted Transportation Security Administration officials early Sunday morning that he had gotten through the main security checkpoint with a handgun, Fox 5 has exclusively learned.
Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority Police were called to the checkpoint where the man, identified as Gregory Hinkle, turned over his firearm and was given a summons for a misdemeanor for violating Virigina Code 18.2-287.01 which prohibits firearms in an airport terminal with exceptions for law enforcement and checked luggage.
This latest breach at Reagan National has air travelers disappointed but not discouraged. Passenger Rob Padgett said, “Their security is tight, it's tighter than it's ever been, so whatever the number of incidents is, it's not many, so, I trust it and I feel safe.”
The TSA released a statement to Fox 5 Tuesday afternoon which read in part, "TSA is aware of the security incident which occurred over the weekend. At this time the security officer who failed to identify the firearm is on administrative leave and a full investigation is underway. Appropriate actions will be taken once the investigation is complete."

Poor Gregory. On a side note, feel safe much?

sjhipple

imported post

Hell hath no fury like a dumb bureaucrat embarrassed. This guy's in for it.

Thanks to Bush for hiring an extra 40,000 GOVERNMENT TSA workers on my dime. It's doing so much good.

Marco

imported post

I wonder what would have happen if he said "Oh well, what's done is done" and continued on his way.

Would he be charged with a more serious crime?

We see what happens when you try to be honest.
There was clearly no intent.
I wouldn't have told on myself:exclaim:
Possibly exit the security area and do it the correct way if possible.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

And to think I was concerned back in September when I went through Security once at Reagan and again at Denver with a .380 round in my purse.

Maybe I needn't have discarded it.

LEO 229

imported post

So he advised the security people he had a gun??

I guess he was too late to go the checked baggage route. Unless he had a car in the lot... he was stuck!!

So I am guessing he was looking for a way to get his gun properly delivered to the destination without taking it on the aircraft.

I feel bad for him..... but if your going to fly with a firearm you have to know how to transport it before you get there.

Once again.... honest mistake and telling on yourself is not always a good thing to do.

I would have listened to his reason and probably not charged him. Just like the guy with the magazine and ammo BEFORE the metal detectors. People make mistakes and I understand that. No criminal intent.

cREbralFIX

imported post

Let's see: miss a plane and walk out...cost is a taxi ride home...or...

...misdemeanor, possible fines and jail time, public arrest, confiscation of the gun and accessories, and time lost to court.

Yeah, telling on yourself is a great thing to do!

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
I wonder what would have happen if he said "Oh well, what's done is done" and continued on his way.

Would he be charged with a more serious crime?

We see what happens when you try to be honest.
There was clearly no intent.
I wouldn't have told on myself:exclaim:
Possibly exit the security area and do it the correct way if possible.
How would they have known to charge him with anything if he had just continued on his way?