• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Action Item - Senator Dick Saslaw (D - Fairfax County) denigrates gun owners!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

UPDATE 24 JAN 08: Our own John Pierce was interviewed this morning on Jimmy Barretts morning show. Check out the podcast here. It's the first one.

http://www.wrva.com/cc-common/podcast.html

--

A few minutes after loudly telling his buddies in a public elevator that VCDL members account for "half the cast of Deliverance," "Senate Majority Leader Richard Saslaw, D-Fairfax County, interrupted Van Cleave and gestured to the family of Reema Samaha, one of the students killed in the shootings. 'How onerous do you think this whole thing's been on that family sitting right there to your left?'" Source: http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/147987

Action items below in red:

--

Subject:
VA-ALERT: Senator Saslaw denigrates gun owners!

Date:
1/23/2008 1:09:08 A.M. Eastern Standard Time

----------------------------------------------------------------------
VCDL's Gun Dealer Legal Defense Fund -- help fight Mayor Bloomberg's
scheme to cripple Virginia firearms dealers. See:
http://www.vcdl.org/index.html#DefenseFund
VCDL's meeting schedule: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings.html

On Monday, Executive member John Pierce was in an elevator in the
General Assembly building, participating in the VCDL Lobby Day. John
was in the back of the elevator and at some point Democratic Senator
Dick Saslaw of Fairfax County, who is the Senate Majority Leader,
entered the elevator with a companion.

The Senator, not realizing that John with his large "Guns Save Lives"
badge was in the back of the elevator, continued a loud conversation
he was having with his companion.

In a clearly audible voice, Senator Saslaw said to his companion: "I
see we're debating a gun bill today. Half of the cast of Deliverance
is in town."

John was disgusted and so am I!!!

While the Senator might think he is unbiased towards others, based on
that comment he is in fact a bigot and an elitist.

His disdain was shown a short while later when he rudely and
intentionally made a comment meant to disrupt the statement I was
making before the Courts of Justice committee on Senator Marsh's gun
show bill.

We need to ask our Senators and Delegates to demand that Senator
Saslaw issue an apology to those gun owners who were attending the
General Assembly on Monday and to the citizens of Virginia for
betraying their trust.

Here is a pre-written email to your Senator:

http://tinyurl.com/2x4274

Here is a pre-written email to your Delegate:

http://tinyurl.com/2yx835

-------------------------------------------
VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
(VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization
dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to
Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org

vt357

imported post

I sent an email to Jimmy Barrett and Doc Thompson of 1140 WRVA in Richmond. Both of them appear to be on our side when it comes to the gun show issue - and both seem to love to go after the legislators who do not look out for the citizens they supposedly represent. Maybe they will take the issue public.

TEX1N

imported post

vt357 wrote:
I sent an email to Jimmy Barrett and Doc Thompson of 1140 WRVA in Richmond. Both of them appear to be on our side when it comes to the gun show issue - and both seem to love to go after the legislators who do not look out for the citizens they supposedly represent. Maybe they will take the issue public.
I did a radio interview yesterday morning with Jimmy, and he briefly covered the gun show loophole.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I spoke to someone at the Capitol yesterday who was with John Pierce. Evidently, right after the senator made his scurrilous remark, John or some other VCDL member told the senator who they were and what they were there for. Saslaw supposedly turned beet-red with embarrassment. Its encouraging that he has some sense of shame. Let's hope that as a man and a Virginian he also has the honor and decency to apologize for his childish and insulting remark.

vt357

imported post

Doc dedicated the entire 4 oclock hour to this subject. He publicly called for his apology. Jimmy Barrett is trying to get Saslaw to come on his morning show tomorrow to answer whether or not he actually said that. The press is on our side for once!
:celebrate:monkey:celebrate

sccrref

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
I spoke to someone at the Capitol yesterday who was with John Pierce. Evidently, right after the senator made his scurrilous remark, John or some other VCDL member told the senator who they were and what they were there for. Saslaw supposedly turned beet-red with embarrassment. Its encouraging that he has some sense of shame. Let's hope that as a man and a Virginian he also has the honor and decency to apologize for his childish and insulting remark.
I doubt the color change had anything to do with embarrassment. I would bet it had everything to do with being angry at having been caught making the slanderous remark.

ianto94

imported post

Wouldn't it be appropriate to call on Saslaw to resign. After all Trent Lott has to resign after his remarks concerning Strom Thurman's 1948 Presidential campaign.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

In addition to writing personal notes to my delegate and Senator, I sent the following.

Feel free to adapt and send if you choose:

Dear Senator Saslaw I wish to join my voice with others throughout Virginia, gun-control advocates and gun-rights advocates alight, in requesting an apology for the citizens of the Commonwealth.

You needn't agree with anyone on any issue - that's what has made our country great. But to characterize any group of voters as "Half the cast of Deliverance" is bigoted and extremely insensitive. To do so loudly, in public, among those who you had to know were among those you disparaged, is completely unprincipled and depraved for one who would present himself as a leader.

Your campaign site says you've been involved in public service for most of your adult life. Is this how you serve your public? What might you have been stating to your colleagues about those from Make Waves Virginia in the building the same day?

I am disgusted with your behavior. While I believe you have demonstrated you are not deserving and the honorable thing would be for you to step down as Majority leader, I do not believe that will happen, and would not push for your removal. Unlike some Democrats, I will not take one statement and make it a life-or-death faux pas.

I do believe, though, you OWE your constituents a vocal and very public apology. Please let me know what you intend to do

Ric in Richmond

imported post

Seem to fall in with this mindset from his own website:

[align=left] [/align][align=left]Gun Control in an Urban Society [/align][align=left]
[/align][align=left]Thoughts on Transportation from Senator Dick Saslaw [/align]
Virginia has acquired the reputation as the
Gun Capitol of the East Coast.
I believe this is a
fair assessment and reflection of current Virginia law. Gun control is a hotly debated topic
at the General Assembly generally falling along the lines of an urban vs. rural Commonwealth.
While I have no problem with the ease of access for purchasing hunting rifles, I believe we
should know more than we currently do about prospective hand gun purchasers. We must
tighten up the process for purchasing hand guns. I will not support measures to arm our
collegiate students, a suggestion as a result of the Virginia Tech tragedy on April 16. Our
college campuses should continue their focus of educating our future leaders and
professionals in as safe an environment as possible.

http://www.dicksaslaw.com/

Richmond Office:
Office of Senator Richard L. Saslaw
P.O. Box 396
Richmond, VA 23218
Phone: (804) 698-7535
Email:
[
District35@sov.state.va.us[
Constituent Hotline: (800) 889-0229

I called his office to let him know that it isn't rural vs urban as I live in Richmond andhave never been in ANY movie, much less Deliverance. I was there Monday and I demand an apology!

(edited to clean up weird formatting)

[font="Arial,Arial"]
[/font]

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

In typical left-wing democratic fashion the senator attacks law-abiding gun owners and thinks that this is ok. However, if the shoe was on the other foot and the VCDL or NRA openly attacked non-gun owners the press would have a field day. It's sad to think that what the liberalsbelieve in, and fight forareideas whichdon't apply to us who're merely exercising our right to protect ourselves as handed down by the creator himself. This is the liberal-democratic agenda which glorifies the minoritysub-cultures and persecutes the majority. They'll continue to do this until we're the minority. Remember this as you go to the polls next year or anytime you vote.

Tomahawk

imported post

Placementvs.Calibur wrote:
In typical left-wing democratic fashion the senator attacks law-abiding gun owners and thinks that this is ok. However, if the shoe was on the other foot and the VCDL or NRA openly attacked non-gun owners the press would have a field day.
Exactly, and it just goes to show that life isn't fair, especially when you're on the unpopular side of truth.

But in the end, it makes each victory that much sweeter.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I personalized the VCDL e-mails to my Delegate and Senator.

Delegate Amundson responded - though reading between the lines it says to me "No, I won't press him for an apology."

In part, her response reads:
"I am sorry that you were offended by Senator Saslaw's comment on the General Assembly elevator. I am sure that it was not his intent to offend or ridicule any individual or group. I am always grateful that citizens of the Commonwealth care enough to come to Richmond to participate in the Process. Democracy is not a spectator sport!"

She prefaces that with "I am always happy to hear from my constituents on how I can better serve them." (emphasis mine). She continues with "If I can ever be of assistance to you on state-related matters ..." (again, emphasis mine).

Parts of this are form letter; they're in every response I get from her. At least she DOES respond, faithfully - more rapidly on some issues than others.

Still, at least one of our elected representatives has said without saying (in true political fashion) she has no intention of helping.

Ms Amundson says she holds Community Ofice hours at Sherwood regional Library from 10 am to noon on the second Saturday of each month. I'm putting it on my calendar. I knew about her annual town meeting, but not about this.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

At the risk of having my behind smacked, I will say what is on my mind regarding
Senator Saslaw. It is best described by the first name that he has chosen to use - it descibes him better than I could. He is simply a ................darn, now I can't rember his first name. Oh well, fill in the blanks.

If you missed it earlier on this thread, read his "mission statement" on his website.
http://www.dicksaslaw.com/

Emotion and not facts, perpetuate the myths, ignore the truths - this is the standard he carries.
He surely has a "superiority complex" and is the worst form of elitest! The citizens of Virginia are not to be trusted with their own defense, law enforcement is under no obligation to do so, so whom does that leave Senator? My flag is not the white flag of surrender!

Yata hey

hsmith

imported post

Could anyone do a FOIA request to see if Senator Saslaw has a CHP :lol:

I'd put money on him being an "important elite" whom the law should make special exceptions for.