• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Care: Scratches on black finish

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I have an SW99 with the black slide. I'm starting to notice a lot of marks on the upper part of my slide, where it is not covered by my safariland holster. They essentially look like pencil lines (same color, and they're squiggley). I've tried a little bit of cleaner, and oil, but neither worked. My first question ishow should I go about attempting toremove these marks? Secondly, would getting my gun coated with sort of parkerizing type process prevent this? OR would that be more trouble than it's worth?

I'm at work so I wont be able to post pics until I get home.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Is the coating on that gun really bluing, though? I need to get a pen for my shotty, anyway.

What about the parkerizing stuff? I wouldn't mind having my shotty and the slide of my SW99 (and maybe my P3AT) done, if it would actually make it tougher and less prone to scratching.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

DreQo wrote:
Is the coating on that gun really bluing, though? I need to get a pen for my shotty, anyway.

What about the parkerizing stuff? I wouldn't mind having my shotty and the slide of my SW99 (and maybe my P3AT) done, if it would actually make it tougher and less prone to scratching.
May I suggest you have a look at......

"GunKote".... http://www.kgcoatings.com/firearms.html#19

and

"Moly Resin".... http://www.molyresin.com/default.asp

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Agreed... daily carry pieces are gonna have some scratches... I know mine does (mainly from kydex and SERPAs). I don't know about having it coated with anything, as in time, it's gonna wear off again and scratch anyway, so it seems like a futile effort just to prolong the inevitable.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
Agreed... daily carry pieces are gonna have some scratches... I know mine does (mainly from kydex and SERPAs). I don't know about having it coated with anything, as in time, it's gonna wear off again and scratch anyway, so it seems like a futile effort just to prolong the inevitable.
While I agree that marks do add character, the scratches I have are VERY abundant and have happened in maybe a monthor so atmost. It seems that whatever coating is on my gun is very easily scratched. :?