• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Deeds Seeks To Salvage Gun Loophole Bill

kenny

imported post

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/times_dispatch.html

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 - 02:50 PM

Sen. R. Creigh Deeds, D-Bath, is seeking to amend a Senate bill that calls for background checks on anyone who is purchasing a gun from an unlicensed seller at a gun show.

The Deeds amendment is an attempt to save the proposal to close "the gun-show loophole," a bill that Democratic leaders felt may have been in danger of being rejected.

The amendment spelled out by Deeds at a Senate Court of Justice Committee hearing this afternoon, would change the proposed bill in three ways:

[*]It would exempt from a background check any prospective purchaser who already has a permit to carry a concealed weapon and who wants to buy a gun from an unlicensed seller.
[*]It would exempt from a background check any purchases of antique weapons from unlicensed sellers.
[*]It would make the background-check apply only on the leased premises of the gun show. Areas outside the leased space, such as parking lots, would be exempt from requiring background checks.
The committee recessed about 2:30 to review the amended bill and will take it up for discussion this afternoon. It's not clear whether the committee will vote on the bill today.

Deeds and Del. Brian J. Moran, D-Alexandria are seeking the party's nomination to run for governor in 2009

bayboy42

imported post

Other news reports are indicating that they voted and SB109 was voted down.

Bullet #3 makes me chuckle to no end...."It would make the background-check apply only on the leased premises of the gun show. Areas outside the leased space, such as parking lots, would be exempt from requiring background checks. " Oh, you mean like it already is and would remain even if the original bill were accepted. Statements like this lead me to further belive that our senators don't even understand laws as they stand now:banghead::banghead:

Forty-five

imported post

From the Richmond Times-Dispatch:

The Senate Courts of Justice Committee today voted 9-6 to defeat a bill to close the "gun-show loophole," effectively rendering the bill dead for this legislative session.

The panel then voted 14-1 to send the legislation to the Crime Commission for further study. That group is not scheduled to meet until May. The legislative session is to adjourn March 8...The vote went along party lines, with two exceptions. Democratic Sens. John S. Edwards of Roanoke and W. Roscoe Reynolds of Henry voted against the bill.[The article has more, but I have not posted the rest, click on the link below to see same].

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-01-23-0236.html

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Not sure I'm any supporter of Deeds, but this could have been one of the best political moves of his career.

Offer some "feel-good" amendments to a "feel good" bill, make the antis think they've won something, and clarify that the law is being applied inconsistently inside and outside a particular building. Tells you how, in its text, to get around it.

kenny

imported post

Tess wrote:
Not sure I'm any supporter of Deeds, but this could have been one of the best political moves of his career.

Offer some "feel-good" amendments to a "feel good" bill, make the antis think they've won something, and clarify that the law is being applied inconsistently inside and outside a particular building. Tells you how, in its text, to get around it.
These guys do this all the time. Most of it goes unnoticed. It puts him on a level playing field with his proposed opponent.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TheEggman wrote:
Of course should it pass as worded there would be a new volly of screams to close the 'parking lot' loophole.
Would prefer that they fill the parking lot pot holes!

Have you ever been to the Show Place when it is raining heavily and have to park around on the side. Now there's something that Deeds can fix.

Yata hey