• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB109 The So Called Gun Show Loophole Bill is DEAD!!!

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

The Courts of Justice Committee voted 9-6 Wednesday to reject the bill before sending it to the Virginia State Crime Commission for study.

A House of Delegates committee last week rejected similar legislation, so the issue appears to be dead for this General Assembly session.

http://wtopnews.com/?nid=25&sid=1331670

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

But allegedly pro-gun Democrat Senator Creigh Deeds apparently tried to get the bill passed with a friendly amendment tyo make the bill a little less onerous - hmmmmm, not good - going wobbly on guns in schools while running for AG, now this . . .

Bubba Ron

imported post

After attending the committee meeting on Monday, all I can say is I am both amazed and relieved!!! Way to go to all that contributed to this outcome!!!

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Million Morons must be almost psychotic with rage and discouragement about now. :lol:

I'm sure we'll also be treated to some mordant remarks by our "second- amendment-supporting" governor. Hey Tim, too bad you couldn't use state funds to bus in more stooges this time around.

SFDoc

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
After attending the committee meeting on Monday, all I can say is I am both amazed and relieved!!! Way to go to all that contributed to this outcome!!!

Same here, especially after the way Philip and Joel Patridge, the NRA lobbyist for Virginia, were treated by certain senators and the "professional victims" crowd.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080124/METRO/471133733/1004

[Excerpts]

Gun-rights groups donated $15,250 to seven committee members during the four-year Senate election cycle ending Dec. 31, according to campaign finance data compiled by the nonprofit Virginia Public Access Project. Six of them voted against the measure.
Mr. Deeds, who is seeking the Democratic nomination for governor, sought to appeal to voters in the vote-rich Northern Virginia suburbs who favor gun controls without alienating his pro-gun rural base.
"It's a victory for law-abiding gun owners," said Joel Partridge, state liaison for the National Rifle Association. [...] "I don't think these changes are effectively moving us toward a middle ground," Mr. Partridge told the committee. [My emphasis]
It would be interesting to know the context of this NRA comment. It sounds to me like a complaint about effectively moving to some 'middle' - a political muddle.

After the panel rejected the bill, Mr. Marsh was the only member who opposed sending it to the Crime Commission. "I fear it's a burying ground," he said. Senators who serve on the commission disagreed and pledged to come back with a recommendation before the legislative session next year. "It will not languish there," said Sen. Thomas K. Norment Jr., James City Republican, who voted against the bill. "We recognize the public concern."

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
"It's a victory for law-abiding gun owners," said Joel Partridge, state liaison for the National Rifle Association. [...] "I don't think these changes are effectively moving us toward a middle ground," Mr. Partridge told the committee. [My emphasis]
It would be interesting to know the context of this NRA comment. It sounds to me like a complaint about effectively moving to some 'middle' - a political muddle.
I don't know about the context in which the above comment was made, but I can say that Joel did an excellent job in speaking in front of the committee during the public debate even with the anti gunners being allowed to jeer and interrupt him. The message he delivered was an unequivocal "No ban on private sales!"

I know the NRA sometimes is not always as steadfast as we would wish, but in this case, I think they stood up and delivered.