• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Want to shoot as well as a SWAT cop?...

expvideo

imported post

I don't know how the rest of you practice, but I empty the mag as fast as I accurately can. This isn't because I have enough money to waste ammo, or because I have no value for proper breath control and so on. This is because if I ever have to use my gun, it won't be one of those one-shot-per-second deals that a lot of the people at the range practice. I also don't generally spend as much time practicing torso shots. Pardon me if that's not PC, but I've been shot in the torso*, and I maintained consciousness for nearly a minute, so I'm not really expecting that to work too well.

*no. I'm not going into details. If you want to talk about it, we can talk in person, because it was a traumatic and life changing event, and it's hard enough talking about it without having to deal with internet sceptics telling me that I'm lieing.

ianto94

imported post

I've been to Front Sight twice now, will be back there inMarch,and learned a lot. Assuming youare shooting a decent round, e.g., 9 mm or larger, we were taught to put two quick controlled shots in the torso, followed by a head shot or shotsin the event the assailant is still standing. The concerns expressed with emptying the mag into the perp are (1) being charged with excessive force (Q. why exactly was the tenth, and eleventhrounds necessary to protect your life?) (2) facing another assailant (not good with an empty gun) and (3) being responsible for every round fired (i.e., collateral damage can get the bejesus sued out of you). But yeah, you have to keep firing until the guy is down. And by the way some of those guys I trained with at FS shot pretty damn good, most being ex military or current military contractors.

Superlite27

imported post

mzbk2l wrote:
Don't SEALS fire something like 1,000+ rounds a day? Since they're also quite competitive with each other, I'd wager that they don't like to miss.

With that kind of practice, it would be difficult not to be a good shot. :)

I imagine you're right, but you are letting the smoke and mirrors of quantity mislead you from quality.

I can practice the wrong way to do something thousands of times and say, "I'm an expert! Look at all the training I've had!"

Round count isn't a be-all end-all. 1000+ rounds mean nothing if they all miss.

I'm a firm believer that quality outshines quantity.

I'm not going to argue about the quality of SEAL training, though. I believe they have both quality and quantity covered real well.

FightingGlock19

imported post

ianto94 wrote:
I've been to Front Sight twice now, will be back there inMarch,and learned a lot. Assuming youare shooting a decent round, e.g., 9 mm or larger, we were taught to put two quick controlled shots in the torso, followed by a head shot or shotsin the event the assailant is still standing. The concerns expressed with emptying the mag into the perp are (1) being charged with excessive force (Q. why exactly was the tenth, and eleventhrounds necessary to protect your life?) (2) facing another assailant (not good with an empty gun) and (3) being responsible for every round fired (i.e., collateral damage can get the bejesus sued out of you). But yeah, you have to keep firing until the guy is down. And by the way some of those guys I trained with at FS shot pretty damn good, most being ex military or current military contractors.

1) - I've been trained that the ONLY concern I should have while I'm shooting the bad guy is saving my ******* ass.

1) Shoot to stop the threat
2) When in doubt, empty the ******* magazine
3) Reload
4) repeat steps 1 thru 4 as needed

2) - That's why if you carry a gun you should carry 1 (or 2) extra magazines. Bad guys sometimes travel in groups.

3) - So long as you use your sights, every round will magically go where it needs to go.

ianto94

imported post

Saving my ass is why I would be carrying and same for two extra magazines. But I don't want to end up in jail or sued either (of course that's better than dead, but still a real bummer).

FightingGlock19

imported post

ianto94 wrote:
Saving my ass is why I would be carrying and same for two extra magazines. But I don't want to end up in jail or sued either (of course that's better than dead, but still a real bummer).

why would you end up in jail?

Prosecutor: Why did you shoot that man 13 times?
You: Because 12 wasn't enough and 14 would have been too many.