• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

cars on campus

wackjob

imported post

This fall I will be attending the University of Akron, and I want to know if it is legal to have a firearm in your vehicle when it is parked on the campus lot. I wanted to know because it would be nice if I didn't have to drive all the way back to Worthington to pick up my shotgun when I want to do some duck hunting at Portage state park, 15 minutes away. Of coarse I would have to devise some way to lock up the gun should my truck be broken in to.

Legba

imported post

I don't know of any law as such that possession of a firearm in a car parked on campus would be in violation of. I'm pretty sure that that post-secondary (college/university) campuses are not "schools" for the school zone gun ban laws.

That said, it is almost certainly against some school policy for a student to have firearms on campus at all (except for approved ROTC rifle team stuff, properly secured in some armory). I'd put it under "don't ask, don't tell" for my own part, but you're liable to get expelled if they catch you with it. I'd read the student handbook for particulars. I could be wrong, but that doesn't happen a lot. ;-/

-ljp

timmy44221

imported post

Since the passage of concelaled carry, univeristies are off limits for CONCEALED carry. There is no mention of any prohibition on OPEN carry. The law about public buildings (such as rest stops) is written the same way. Technicaly OPEN carry is ok in such area, but the school will most likely expell you as their rules prohibit any weapons.

A more direct answer to your question. Yes you can have a gun in the car on campus. Agian this was written in the Concealed carry law, but should also apply to Open carry.