• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Petition to remove prohibition on firearms in National Parks

RockyMtnScotsman

ufcfanvt

imported post

[font="Helvetica,Arial"][size="+6"]886 Signatures Total

Might not convince anyone, but let's get a lot more!

[/size][/font]

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I agree that these usually have little if any effect for various reasons (snopes.com had a good write up as to the problems with online petitions), but I am willing to spend the time to take a shot.

glocknroll

imported post

I was #2406. I really hope this passes. I remember camping on Loft Mountain in Shenandoah Nat'l Park and having a bear come into the campground and proceed to climb up on a picnic table and start eating out of some guys cooler. I'm more concerned about two legged predators, but a lot of people would understand the wild animal problem more.

JB

imported post

I see Mccain signed it, maybe that says something?

Help me understand this process. Does Kempthorne have the ability to make this happen? Or is it above his head? If memory serves me Kempthorne signed an executive order banning guns in the Capitoll Mall area. :banghead:

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Code:
VCDL has presented a **new** Petition for Rule Making (PRM) to the  
Department of the Interior (DOI)!  The PRM asks for a change in the  
National Park Service's rules which would require that each park  
assimilate the gun laws of the state where the park is located.

As you might recall, VCDL's original PRM was turned down by the DOI  
under the flimsiest of grounds, two years after they received the PRM.

The new PRM takes into account the "concerns" that the DOI had with  
the original PRM and adds new, stronger language with additional  
justification for the request.

This effort falls on the heels of the letter that 47 US Senators sent  
to the Department of the Interior requesting that the rules be changed

to allow law-abiding citizens to carry in National Parks.

The DOI is now under pressure from at least two different directions  
to fix the National Park Service's firearm's regulations.

Click here to see the PRM:

[url=http://www.vcdl.org/pdf/VCDLPRM_010408.pdf]http://www.vcdl.org/pdf/VCDLPRM_010408.pdf[/url]

The fight continues!

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Also check out the work that has been going on for a few years on this issue.
http://www.bighammer.net/repealthenpsban.html

http://www.bighammer.net/timeline.html
VCDL Petition to lift the National Park Service's ban on self defense
[/indent] On 02/06/08 the National Park Service, Intermountain region responded to the Bighammer.net FOIA to produce documents pertaining to scientists having to sign personal safety waivers to conduct scientific research in Organ Pipe National Monument. The FOIA response confirms that NPS has been requiring scientists to sign a waiver of responsibility for the scientists and assistants personal safety.

Remember, Karen Taylor-Goodrich, speaking for NPS said that the Parks were safe.

Cover letter & overall response.

General permit conditions. Nothing special in this document.

Actual scientific research permit granted by NPS for Organ Pipe Cactus NM. In it, NPS makes a condition of issuance: "The National Park Service cannot guarantte the permittee's and permittee's assistants' safety. The permittee knowingly assumes all risks, and accepts full responsibility for the safety and security of themselves and their equipment, when conducting research in any part of Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument."

Organ Pipe Cactus response to a permit application dated 02/01/08. In it, Park Superintendent Lee Baiza advises: "...border-related safety concerns continue in Organ Pipe Cactus NM... Because of these conditions, we cannot guarantee your personal safety..."

Document from Lee Baiza and Tim Tibbits with... slightly different accountings of the personal safety waiver issue. According to Mr. Tibbits, OPCNM has been requiring personal safety waivers since 2005 and going back to 2002 there have been suspensions of permits due to safety concerns.

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

BTT

LW, thanks for making the update here. I have been absolutely swamped. In case any of you might not have seen the update documents, NPS has admitted that they condition the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument scientific research permits upon the applicant waiving their claims against NPS and the US .gov for any harm that comes to them because "NPS cannot guarantee you or your assistant's safety"....

This is a direct contradiction to "Parks are safe places" asserted by NPS to both Congress and the petitioners.

Get ticked off.:cuss::cuss::cuss: Pick up the phone, and start calling your congressional delegation.

Just like voting, do it early, and often. Tell them you want a commitment to repeal this ban from NPS, and a commitment from the elected one to see that it happens.

FOLLOW UP! One phone call is not enough.