• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mistaken for a Bank Robber while CCing in Tacoma

FogRider

imported post

TwoPistols wrote:
Hey! That is fine! Enjoy!

While you guys are cuffed by the side of the road and the officer is dropping your trousers (figuratively speaking) I will be driving along.

If I am to be cuffed, publicly humiliated, my person searched, my weapons numbers run, my car searched, thenI bloody well am going to get paid for it. My response of: "Am I being detained?" "If not, then I am leaving" "Here is my lawyers phone number" seems to be too radical for some. Wait till theDunk Drivercheckpoints start. I can see open carriers as the first people to be taken out of their car and cuffed. Bend over buddies!

If an officer can't do the above just because I have a gun in the open (legal behavior) he sure as poop can't do this because some other citizen has broken the law and he wants to make sure it isn't me.

Rights, Use them or lose them.
If by "driving along" you mean "running from a felony stop" then I can buy that.

An officer cannot check you if you match the description of a suspect of a very recent crime? How do you propose they do their job?

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

FogRider wrote:
How do you propose they do their job?

I think he's proposing that they NOT do their job. Maybe there should be a judge, jury, prosecuting attorney,and public defenders that ride along in each and every patrol car, so that the trial can take place before the person in question is even stopped, this way no one's "RIGHTS" are violated for being pulled over for something they won't end up being convicted of. They'll be convicted before the blue lights even turn on! That'll work, right?

Bear 45/70

imported post

FogRider wrote:
TwoPistols wrote:

While you guys are cuffed by the side of the road and the officer is dropping your trousers (figuratively speaking) I will be driving along.

If I am to be cuffed, publicly humiliated, my person searched, my weapons numbers run, my car searched, thenI bloody well am going to get paid for it. My response of: "Am I being detained?" "If not, then I am leaving" "Here is my lawyers phone number" seems to be too radical for some. Wait till theDunk Drivercheckpoints start. I can see open carriers as the first people to be taken out of their car and cuffed. Bend over buddies!

If an officer can't do the above just because I have a gun in the open (legal behavior) he sure as poop can't do this because some other citizen has broken the law and he wants to make sure it isn't me.

If by "driving along" you mean "running from a felony stop" then I can buy that.

An officer cannot check you if you match the description of a suspect of a very recent crime? How do you propose they do their job?
What planet have you been living on? I know of nowhere in this country that the cops can't stop you for looking like the description of a suspect of a recent crime in the area. Sometimes I'm amazed by what some of you think you rights are.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TwoPistols wrote:

Excuse me? Since when did matching the description ofa suspect in an armed robberyabout an hour agoNOT constitute reasonable cause to detain? "Am I being detained?" YES. You are not being arrested because looking like a bank robber isn't a crime; you have to BE the bank robber. However they can't determine if you are the bank robber until they confirm your identity, make sure the van is not of a make and model seen by witnesses, and the gun is not of a type and caliber that matches the witness descriptions and ballistics. Is it reasonable to also ensure you are the lawful owner or possessor of said van and gun? Yes. Is it reasonable to check for outstanding warrants? Yes. Is it reasonable to check for out-of-date papers? There the line gets fuzzy for me, but how would checking your license, registration, insurance and inspection papers be any different from any other traffic stop for any other articulable reason?

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Liko81Wrote. There the line gets fuzzy for me, but how would checking your license, registration, insurance and inspection papers be any different from any other traffic stop for any other articulable reason?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This wasn't a traffic stop. For a traffic stop you must have committed a violation of some sort. If they truly thought he could be involved in the Bank robbery than an ID check would be in order. The question is 'at what point did they know he wasn't the suspect'? Did this stop become a fishing expedition? If the LEOs believed they were talking to a suspect than in my opinion checking everything was appropriate. But I am not convinced they really believed that. I am glad things worked out and the encounter ended on a positive note.

Wheelgunner

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
I have a policy regarding questionalbe stops. Generally speaking you are NOT going win an argument with a beat cop when he stops you and my time is generally too valuable to waste waiting for a supervisor. So I will work on ending the stop as quickly as possible, and THEN go up to headquarters and start the complaint process, talk with my lawyer, whatever.

You are simply not going to stop a cop from violating your rights during a stop. You can however take approriate steps afterward, including lawsuits to ensure that you are properly apologized to or compensated for your troubles and that such events will not happen again. Sometimes the wheel turns slow, but it does turn. Basically let the cop do what he is going to do, because it isn't going to stop. Let them know your rights are being violated, and how, and then go make grief for the people who actually run the show.

Thank you, SV. I couldn't have said it better myself.

G-20, the cop said he Was not detaining you, er I mean he was but he wasn't , um please put you arm in this handcuff, um sir. If he want's to arrest me, the he gets the concequences, a hefty lawsuit with a man wealthy enought to back it up. If they are arresting people at random, in fear if the supposed "Brother with a van" senario, sorry I won't play. Mass arrests of random innocents went out with the fall of the Wall.

45/70, I never said I would not cooperate AT THE POINT OF A GUN. If a moron cop has a gun on me, well I'm his best buddy till I am safe, then I will work to get him demoted, repremanded or fired. G20 said there was no gun.

As long as the cop is desperately trying to keep a facade of politeness, then I will stand on my rights and he can run my car numbers all he likes but he will not search my home, my person, papers, effects, computer, etc unless he has a warrent. He may not like it. It may cause him to have to wait a few minuets, but tough bunny rabbits.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

TwoPistols wrote:
G-20, the cop said he Was not detaining you, er I mean he was but he wasn't , um please put you arm in this handcuff, um sir. If he want's to arrest me, the he gets the concequences, a hefty lawsuit with a man wealthy enought to back it up.

READ the dialogue. I was never "UNDER ARREST." IWAS being detained. The legal requirements for 1) ARREST and 2) DETAINMENT are not the same thing. From what you type, it seems that you are under the assumption that the two are the same, and the terms can be used interchangebly. This is incorrect. Please do not perpetuate that falsehood.

Also, HANDCUFFS does NOT equal "ARREST." Restrains are and ought to be used when someone is placed under arrest, and CAN be used in certain situations while a subject is being detained. This is another thing you seem to be mistaken about.

As long as the cop is desperately trying to keep a facade of politeness, then I will stand on my rights and he can run my car numbers all he likes but he will not search my home, my person, papers, effects, computer, etc unless he has a warrent. He may not like it. It may cause him to have to wait a few minuets, but tough bunny rabbits.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

[align=left]RCW 9.41.050 Carrying Firearms.
[/b](1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.
[/align]
I'm sure the same regulation of requiring to display your drivers license applies to anyone driving.I don't have the patience or time to look up the RCW and quote it. So tough bunny rabbits.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

irfner wrote:
This wasn't a traffic stop. For a traffic stop you must have committed a violation of some sort. If they truly thought he could be involved in the Bank robbery than an ID check would be in order. The question is 'at what point did they know he wasn't the suspect'? Did this stop become a fishing expedition? If the LEOs believed they were talking to a suspect than in my opinion checking everything was appropriate. But I am not convinced they really believed that. I am glad things worked out and the encounter ended on a positive note.
Wrong. For a traffic stop, an officer mustSUSPECT you have committed an offense. You match the suspect's description, and are in the area the suspect was last reported to be. That's reasonable suspicion (assuming the description and reports are both accurate and not so general thatthe entire town could be suspect) to pull you over. Case in point, the officer at that point can aticulate a suspicion that you might be the bank robber and give good reasons for thinking so; heis then fully within his authority todetain you just like if he'd seen you running a red light. The officer mustconfirm his suspicion in order to arrest or summons you for the offense for which you were stopped, but he cannot confirm or discountthat suspicion unlesshe stops you and gathers further information. There can be any number of circumstances or explanations which only become obvious once the officer is made aware of them.A woman in laboror other medical emergencyis justification for most traffic ordinance violations including speeding, illegal turns and running red lights, but such an emergency cannot be explained without talking to the officer or the officer witnessing the emergency. Likewise, a guy who matches the descriptionin an APB is suspicion of an offense. There's evidence to discount suspicion, BUT IT MUST BE MADE KNOWN TO THE OFFICER. Making sure you're you, that the gun is yours and doesn't match the one used by the suspect, and that the van is yours and doesn't match the suspect's getaway vehicle is all prudent investigation, and NOT to do so is an error on the part of the policeman.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

TwoPistols wrote:
.........a hefty lawsuit with a man wealthy enought to back it up..........
I guess I didn't catch this before. So I guess since I'm not independently wealthy, and have to work for my living that I shouldn't press a lawsuit should I feel so inclined, if and when circumstances permit??? Because I wouldn't be "wealthy enough to back it up?" You're up in arms about there being a double-standard regarding cops vs. citizen's rights during a felony stop, yet you talk like money has something to do with a lawsuit being regarded as legitimate. Must be nice to be "more-equal" than the rest of us.

Johnny Law

imported post

TwoPistols wrote:

Twopistols,

G20 was being LEGALLY detained in that situation, and he chose to do what any law abiding, reasonable person would do. He did the honorable thing and cooperated, and in doing so helped the Officer's to get him on his way quicker, so they could focus their attention on getting the real bg. This speaks volumes of his character, as he did not try to aggravate an already tense situation.

Unlike you, he doesn't expect to "get paid" (by filing a frivolous suit which you couldn't win) for his contact. I'm sure it wasn't the most pleasant part of his day, but he made the most of it, and did his duty as a honest citizen. He was treated fairly, and as respectfully as could be managed under the circumstances.

If one decides to act like an ass, then I can almost guarantee that you will be treatedlike one. If you condone bad behavior and notassisting the Police toinvestigate acrime, then you are not much of a citizen, let alone a "patriot".

Cue-Ball

imported post

I think that there are just a few questionable actions here that are separating the "well handled" and "violation of my rights" people. Personally, I think I fall in-between, but am leaning towards the latter.

So, let's assume for a moment that the OP matches the description of the bank robber to a T. He's the right color, height, weight, wearing the right clothes, and driving the right car. If all that is true, why would the officer need to run the serial number on his gun? Why would the officer need to run his name through the computer? Surely the bank teller didn't look at the serial number on the suspect's gun or the name on his driver's license.

In my view, this should have been pretty straight forward. They stop someone who they think is a bank robber. They either positively identify him (by eye witness or evidence linking the person to the crime) or they let him go. While I do think the cops were doing their job by stopping someone who matches the description, I think they crossed the line by running all of this information that cannot possibly be linked to the alleged crime. If we allow the police the latitude to run plates, driver's licenses, gun serial numbers, CCW permit numbers, etc. which are completely unrelated to the stop, what's to prevent me from having anyone's rights violated by simply calling in an anonymous call?

I don't think anyone wants the police to not do their job, or to have a hard time doing their job, but I do think that there is a certain amount of information that is necessary and prudent to doing that job, and that going beyond that is a violation of a person's basic right to security and privacy.

Johnny Law

imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:
I think that there are just a few questionable actions here that are separating the "well handled" and "violation of my rights" people. Personally, I think I fall in-between, but am leaning towards the latter.

So, let's assume for a moment that the OP matches the description of the bank robber to a T. He's the right color, height, weight, wearing the right clothes, and driving the right car. If all that is true, why would the officer need to run the serial number on his gun? Why would the officer need to run his name through the computer? Surely the bank teller didn't look at the serial number on the suspect's gun or the name on his driver's license.

In my view, this should have been pretty straight forward. They stop someone who they think is a bank robber. They either positively identify him (by eye witness or evidence linking the person to the crime) or they let him go. While I do think the cops were doing their job by stopping someone who matches the description, I think they crossed the line by running all of this information that cannot possibly be linked to the alleged crime. If we allow the police the latitude to run plates, driver's licenses, gun serial numbers, CCW permit numbers, etc. which are completely unrelated to the stop, what's to prevent me from having anyone's rights violated by simply calling in an anonymous call?

I don't think anyone wants the police to not do their job, or to have a hard time doing their job, but I do think that there is a certain amount of information that is necessary and prudent to doing that job, and that going beyond that is a violation of a person's basic right to security and privacy.
Being that he was detained (Terry stop) the Police had a legal right to obtain the requested info. His car was stopped so the plate was ran (Registered to him, or stolen?), he was contacted and his name checked (warrants, valid license,or prior history of robbery?), A gun was used in the crime so his was checked (stolen?).

These are s.o.p. for a stop of this nature, and in this case helped clear him of any involvement quicker. Also, had the real bg not been located, the Police may have wanted to speak to him again about this later,and having his info is the only way this could happen.

Even though he was not the "right guy", he was still legally detained, and would be guilty of obstruction if he failed to provide basic info. There was no "fishing" going on here, they simply wanted to clear him, as it sounds like they were not very convinced he was the right guy from the start.

Let's say (hypothetically) that the Police had done as you said. They don't id him, check his gun, or his plates. He says "I'm not your man", but they aren't convinced. Should they just take his word for it? Hell no, they would then have to get a witness over to the scene to see if he could be positively identified. This takes some time, and causes him to be deprived of his freedom for far longer than is necessary. It also keeps several Officers tied up while all this is going on.

The info he provided was used toward the "totality of the circumstances", and everything lined up and he was quickly cleared. He had nothing to hide, so why would he object? Refusing to provide info only heightens the Officer's suspicions. His actions, demeanor, and willingness to cooperate went a long way towards getting him cut loose quickly.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
Cue-Ball wrote:

Being that he was detained (Terry stop) the Police had a legal right to obtain the requested info. His car was stopped so the plate was ran (Registered to him, or stolen?), he was contacted and his name checked (warrants, valid license,or prior history of robbery?), A gun was used in the crime so his was checked (stolen?).

These are s.o.p. for a stop of this nature, and in this case helped clear him of any involvement quicker. Also, had the real bg not been located, the Police may have wanted to speak to him again about this later,and having his info is the only way this could happen.

Even though he was not the "right guy", he was still legally detained, and would be guilty of obstruction if he failed to provide basic info. There was no "fishing" going on here, they simply wanted to clear him, as it sounds like they were not very convinced he was the right guy from the start.

Let's say (hypothetically) that the Police had done as you said. They don't id him, check his gun, or his plates. He says "I'm not your man", but they aren't convinced. Should they just take his word for it? Hell no, they would then have to get a witness over to the scene to see if he could be positively identified. This takes some time, and causes him to be deprived of his freedom for far longer than is necessary. It also keeps several Officers tied up while all this is going on.

The info he provided was used toward the "totality of the circumstances", and everything lined up and he was quickly cleared. He had nothing to hide, so why would he object? Refusing to provide info only heightens the Officer's suspicions. His actions, demeanor, and willingness to cooperate went a long way towards getting him cut loose quickly.
Man, this is really painful. I agree with Johnny Law,:shock: ouch that really hurts.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Man, this is really painful. I agree with Johnny Law,:shock: ouch that really hurts.
Bear, I'm sorry to have put you in this situation, but I can't find that smiley where the guy is rolling on the floor laughing!!!

Bear 45/70

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Bear, I'm sorry to have put you in this situation, but I can't find that smiley where the guy is rolling on the floor laughing!!!
I have a couple.
roflrofl.gif
or this one
roflmao1.gif
Then here's always one of my favorites
Jerrylaughing.gif
or
icon_lol_sign.gif
and
abovelol.gif

Cue-Ball

imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
If I place a call to the police saying that a black man robbed my liquor store, does that give them the right to stop every black man on the roads and run all of their information? If so, what's to stop the police from getting "anonymous tips" at any time about any person and using those to justify detainments and searches? Let's say someone mugs me and steals my cell phone. Can the police stop every single person that vaguely matches that descripton, rifle through their belongings, run the plates on their cars, run the serial numbers on their firearms, run a background check on their license, etc?

These are s.o.p. for a stop of this nature, and in this case helped clear him of any involvement quicker. Also, had the real bg not been located, the Police may have wanted to speak to him again about this later, and having his info is the only way this could happen.
If I were in the position of the OP I would have gladly given my name and phone number and helped in whatever way I could. However, having my plates, driver's license, gun serial number, etc. all investigated smacks of a police state to me.

I agree that he was legally detained. I completely disagree that he would be guilty of any kind of obstruction for not providing basic info. Citizens are under no obligation to identify themselves to the police. Not only that, but even if he WERE the bank robber, he has a Fifth Amendment right to not say a word.

The officers had reasonable, articulable suspicion that he was involved in a bank robbery. That makes the stop legal. However, the other information (DL, plates, serial number, etc) has nothing to do with the bank robbery. Was there a car fitting the description of the one he was driving reported as stolen? If not, where is there probable cause to believe the car was stolen? Just because someone is suspected of breaking one law does not give the police cart blanche to investigate every other possible crime. If I'm stopped for speeding the police can't search my car on the basis that I may have stolen goods or illegal drugs in it. They can't give me a breathalyzer on the off chance that i'm drunk and not exhibiting symptoms.

How many officers are tied up to keep tabs on a handcuffed suspect that's in the back of a cruiser? Was running his plates required to clear him? Was running his gun's serial number required to clear him? I don't see how. Personally, I would prefer taking an extra 10 minutes of my life to be negatively identified by the bank teller than have the police background check every detail of my life.

The idea that "you have nothing to hide, so why object" has been used by tyrants through the ages. My point is that none of the information that was gleaned by all of these checks had anything to do with the original crime. There are many ways to satisfy the question of whether or not someone was involved in the crime. Can he be positively identified by the bank teller? Does he have any of the stolen property on him? Does he have the mask used in the holdup on him? When none of these criteria were met, I believe that he should have been released. At the most, verify his identity as a possible future suspect, but then let him go.

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There was a car in front that was also stopped. That car did indeed contain the bank robber. The actual robber was being detained at gun point. Since G20-IWB24/7could see this I would think the police in question could also see it. Let alone their communications devices. So I personally think they knew the actual robber was already apprehended. Yet they continued to run the information from G20-IWB24/7. I also think it is probable due to their actions they knew G20-IWB24/7was not the robber from the git go but ran the information anyway because that is what they do. As I said earlier if they truly believed G20-IWB24/7 might be the robber I have no problem with their actions.

There are enough possibilities in this instance I think the police can be given the benefit of the doubt. They could have been being cautious in case the other suspect was the wrong guy. They could have suspected that more than one person was involved. While I doubt any of these their respectful demeanor causes me toafford them a broader latitude. It is also the basis for my doubt.

Liko81You are correct the police only must suspect a violation to stop you. Such as 'I suspect you made an illegal u-turn' or 'I suspect you failed to signal a lane change'. That is suspect as in 'I saw you do it'. The courts decide if you did in fact commit the offence unless you just pay up.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

irfner wrote:
There was a car in front that was also stopped. That car did indeed contain the bank robber. The actual robber was being detained at gun point. Since G20-IWB24/7could see this I would think the police in question could also see it. Let alone their communications devices. So I personally think they knew the actual robber was already apprehended. Yet they continued to run the information from G20-IWB24/7. I also think it is probable due to their actions they knew G20-IWB24/7was not the robber from the git go but ran the information anyway because that is what they do. As I said earlier if they truly believed G20-IWB24/7 might be the robber I have no problem with their actions.

There are enough possibilities in this instance I think the police can be given the benefit of the doubt. They could have been being cautious in case the other suspect was the wrong guy. They could have suspected that more than one person was involved. While I doubt any of these their respectful demeanor causes me toafford them a broader latitude. It is also the basis for my doubt.
My thinking now, is that because I was trying to get through that odd intersection which is southbound Orchard at the HWY 16 onramp/offramp quickly, so that the officer couldget around me (only one lane there and curb/median on both sides, no room to pass),I did get fairly close to the BG's car, as we both continued up the hill, so it could have easily been suspected that we were travelling together. I would bet that the thoroughness of their checking my documents wasalong the linesto ensure thatI was,not necessarily the bank robber, but rather that I was not in some way connected to the bank robbery as an accomplice. Does that make any sense?

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

I lie, you lie, cops lie. What if he WAS lying when he said "There was just a bank robbery, and you match the description of the suspect." Where if he was being totally honest, he actually should have said, "There was just a bank robbery, and you were following the suspect vehicle too closely." And that was the REAL reason I was being detained, to make sure I wasn't following to closely to try and get away with my supposed bank robber-friend that I was tailgating.