• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mitt Romney

buketdude

imported post

Did anyone just see Mike Huckabee ask Mitt Romney to clarify his views on the 2nd amendment in the debate???

I am pretty sure i just heard Romney say he "just as bush would have signed to renewthe assault weapons ban he would have"...then 5 seconds later he said he does not support any newfederal legistlation on guns including an "assualt weapons" ban.......i am sure there will be you-tube of this....

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

Yes, I just saw the same thing. He was talking out of both sides of his mouth: said the 2nd Amend. is an individual right, and then said he would have signed the renewal of the AWB and that he HAD done so in Mass.

He was never my first choice, but that statement just lost him my vote even if he's the GOP candidate. :X

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
You're just noticing that Romney takes two sides on every issue? Besides his flip flops on Reagan, gay rights and abortion, he also supports government-run healthcare and, as you saw tonight, a federal rifle ban.

Romney's Spokesperson: "It depends on what the meaning of the verb 'to see' is"
Not really, just that as the field narrows it's starting to piss me off more than it used to.

sjhipple

imported post

For those of you not active on the Virginia forums, here's a list of videos posted here about Romney and gun control (by the way, he claims in the first video that he had the support of the NRA in MA. He's since admitted that it wasn't true and the NRA has said they have no idea what he was talking about).

UtahRSO

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
Mitt Romney's fancy hairdo serves the single purpose of hiding his horns...
Some may not have understood this offensive comment, but it did not pass me by. Say what you will about Romney's political leanings, but please do not act the bigot.

jimwyant

imported post

UtahRSO wrote:
vmathis12019 wrote:
Mitt Romney's fancy hairdo serves the single purpose of hiding his horns...
Some may not have understood this offensive comment, but it did not pass me by. Say what you will about Romney's political leanings, but please do not act the bigot.

Bigot:a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially :one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

I honestly can't see where vmathis12019's comment qualifies as bigotry. I am neither a Mitt fan, nor inagreement with thecomment that prompted UtahRSO's post. However, IMHO, the word "bigot" is used all too frequently (and more often than not, incorrectly) in today's society.

I am not making any such accusation ofUtahRSO, but many times I hear people call someone abigot for the slightestintolerance of almost anything. If one were to twist the first part of the above definition enough, nearly all of uson OCDO could be considered bigots because of what could be perceived as our obstinate devotion to open carry in the face of the anti crowd's arguments. However, I think most here would take offense at being called a bigot for that reason.

I am atrue bigot in the more traditional meaning/use of the word, and therefore I know that of which I speak.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

I am intolerant of any person who would lead our country under the guise of economic steward and act as big business protector rather than defender of the citizen. If this makes me a bigot in your eyes, then a bigot I must be, but Mitt Romney is a seriously dangerous politician who, if elected president, I believe, will do nothing to improve the lives of the citizens of this nation.

If you believe differently, then so be it, but do not accuse me of bigotry for the use of humor to get a point across. Rather than attacking me, why don't you add something in defense of your beloved politician to try to convince me and a large portion of the posters here that Mitt Romney is not a horrible prospect?

Walther

imported post

I think that UtahRSO was refering to the horns comment, In the 1800s when the Mormons were being ran out of Mo. the locals were saying that Mormons had horns and some people did (and still do) believe that Mormons had horns, just like some believe that the Mormons still believe in and practice polygomy which is also false.

You know, American history is in the making. It is the first time in American history that we could have a black president, a woman president or a Morman president........ Why don't we just elect Gladis Knight andcall it a day....LOL

UtahRSO

imported post

Walther has it correct. Mitt Romney lost my vote a long time ago. I'm objecting to vmathis's comment about horns. It's very offensive to me, having had that ephithet flung at me in my youth. I didn't want to spell it out, feeling that only vmathis and any others prone to throw that comment around would understand.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Walther wrote:
just like some believe that the Mormons still believe in and practice polygomy which is also false.
This is an untrue statement. I was a resident of Eagle Mountain, Utah for 2 years, and guess what kind of community was out there??? You guessed it, a polygamist community. While the majority of them were probably FLDS, I happen to know that some of them are in fact LDS. Last year, a Chicago newspaper published an article that stated that Eagle Mountain was a polygamist city. The newspaper had it wrong because they assumed everyone there was engaged in polygamy. Just like Walther assumes that all mormons have shunned polygamy.

vmathis12019, you know that I am a mormon. When I read your comment, I had a good chuckle! Then I was a little disappointed when I felt my head and realized I do not yet have my horns. :cry: :p When I went to basic training in South Carolina, I never was asked about horns. But every other person was interested to know if I had multiple wives!

Back on topic. I recieved my absentee ballot and you can rest ussured that I will NOT give my vote to Romney.

I love these paper ballots! :monkey Those electronic voting machines are just trouble waiting to happen! :cuss:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

jimwyant wrote in part:
Bigot:a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially :one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

However, IMHO, the word "bigot" is used all too frequently (and more often than not, incorrectly) in today's society.

'Bigot' is a Point Of View curse.

What is bigotry to our opponents is zealotry to our advocates. Same as 'prejudice' and 'racism,' few who use these words/concepts use them with understanding.

My bigotry, prejudice and racism are hard won passing-grades from the School of Hard Knocks. I embrace them

Walther

imported post

I hope this does not turn into a Mormon bashing thread, and I don't want it highjacked, but since SGT Jensen called me on the carpet. I will respond.

The statement was not untrue just not clear, which is my fault. The Church of Jesus Christ of Laterday Saints (called Mormons) does not practice polygomy, any member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Laterday Saints (Mormon), who practices polygomy and is found out is excomunicated from the church and therefore is NOT a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Laterday Saints or a Mormon.

Sorry for not being clear on the first post.

Mitt lost my vote on the gun issue and Huckabee (sp) lost my vote on the bigot like comment.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

OH GOD!!! :what:I just realized what this was all about. My comment had absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that Romney is a mormon. In fact, until JUST NOW, I hadn't even thought about it. I apologize if my comment made it seem like I was anti-mormon, but I can assure you that that had absolutely nothing to do with my comment. :banghead:

While I think this is hillarious that this was misunderstood and taken so out of context, it is also a little sombering to realize that the conclusion was jumped to so quickly. I can honestly say that my comment had nothing to do with Romney's religion, as it hasn't crossed my mind in weeks.

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

Welll I didn't know that 'horns' was derived from an anti-Mormon insult either, I figured you were referencing his obvious pact with Satan (how else would he have that hair?).

expvideo

imported post

UtahRSO wrote:
Walther has it correct. Mitt Romney lost my vote a long time ago. I'm objecting to vmathis's comment about horns. It's very offensive to me, having had that ephithet flung at me in my youth. I didn't want to spell it out, feeling that only vmathis and any others prone to throw that comment around would understand.
So you're a goat? I'm confused. Is there a secret meaning to horns that I don't know?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

expvideo wrote:
UtahRSO wrote:
So you're a goat? I'm confused. Is there a secret meaning to horns that I don't know?
Here is a post from Walther earlier in this thread.

UtahRSO was refering to the horns comment, In the 1800s when the Mormons were being ran out of Mo. the locals were saying that Mormons had horns and some people did (and still do) believe that Mormons had horns

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Wow, I totally didn't know that. I apologize for being culturally unaware enough to not know I was making an anti-Mormon statement. It most certainly was not intended that way. As a man whose lived his entire life in Alabama, I haven't come into contact with enough mormons to know that "horns" are a sensitive issue. I apologize for the mixup, and re-emphasize the fact that I didn't mean it in an anti-mormon way.

However, I stand by my statement about Romney. For argument's sake, just take my comment as if Romney had no religion at all.