• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visited Illinois Today...

kmcdowel

imported post

I'm considering a graduate school in Schaumburg, NW of Chicago. I am very unfamiliar with IL's handgun laws, so I turn to you. Before I left Michigan I checked and found that IL does not honor Michigan's CCW licenses, so I didn't even attempt to carry while I visited. Anyways... I've done a brief internet search but have not been able to come up with much. I'm exhausted from the 8.5hr drive down yesterday (traffic was awful)and then the 7hr drive back today, and am not really motivated to keep searching online. So, can an IL resident only OC in 'rural areas?' What about concealed carry? Is it legal? Is it a difficult or expensive process to gain this right? Are there a lot of restrictions oncea personcan CC?

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

generally, your 2A rights are extremely limited in Illinois.

for the most part both CC and OC are prohibited to normal people outside of very, very limited situations.

no state pre-emption so you never know what draconian ordinance a locality might have come up with.

Chicago and a few cities flat out ban handguns for normal citizens. black rifles are also banned in Chicago and a few other places.

no resident can have a firearm or ammo without a state issued firearm owners id card. non-residents can possess, but it is a bit dicey because there are additional restrictions on non-residents.

downstate has pretty good hunting if that trips your trigger (pun intended).

I would say your best bet is go elsewhere if guns are important to you. schaumburg is not rapibly anti-gun but has become infected with the chicago mindset.

junglebob

imported post

The website here tells you that open carry is legal in Illinois in unincorporated areas when not in a vehicle. That being said anywhere near Chicago is probably not the place to do it. I'm in southern Illinois about 300 miles from Chicago and haven't seen it here. The problem is that most law enforcementmay consider it illegal. I have a friend that often open carrys on his own rural property. I was there one day when he was walking along the state highway carrying his handgun. A state patrol car slowed down like it was going to stop as it approached him, he stepped onto his property and it went on.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

and to think I grew up in the Communist state of Illinois so close to Chicago, and now look at me, carrying everyday, got my own evil black rifle, and planty of ammo to boot. Gotta love those 37 shall issue states though.

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

My adice is to avoid Stallinois like the plague. The People's Republic of Shitcago is not the place to live. Southern Illinois is beautiful and its a shame that those people are associated with such morons as the sheeple in Shitcago. It says on here that open carry is legal in rural areas and that isn't true. You cannot carry a loaded firearm in Illinois. Unless you are a cop, a judge, a correctional officer or whatever else Gov. Blowjobabitch says. I've read the law. The only way you can carry is to fanny pack. It's bullshit. Whatever you do, avoid this hellhole.

kmcdowel

imported post

:?Just got the call this week, they accepted me at the school I applied to.... Still have to interview in the Twin Cities and Tampa. It seems my 2a rights are limited in Florida as well, but not neas as bad as in Illinois. Since I heard of the shooting in the Layne Bryant in Chicago,your gun laws are all I could think about for the last two days. Awful.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

Florida is not that bad. it is a shall issue state, so that's good. At one point, if you had a Florida CCW, it had resiprocity with more states than any other, but I don't think that's true anymore. Florida is good for gun owners, but not as good as Vermont or Alaska.

kmcdowel

imported post

Yeah..I have my CCW in Mi, and FL honors MI's permits. Like FL, Many states honors MI's permits. Still unfortunate that I wouldn't be able open carry, especially in the warm weather. It's so much more comfortable.

junglebob

imported post

According to carryconcealed.net's legal link a Florida permit gets a non-resident 29 states, I don't think there is a better one for a non-resident. I know it and Utah are popular with Illinoisans.

kmcdowel

imported post

After the sht that happened yesterday at NIU, if I do end up going to school in Schaumburg, I will -without a doubt-buy a snubbie and strap it to my ankle.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

zrukman wrote:
Illinois sucks! I'm glad I moved out of that hell hole.
My wife 'n all but2 of her siblings (6) have. 3 of 'em are here. 1 Florida.Those remaining are pinko Democrat liberals.