• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

question about preventing carry into areas...

expvideo

imported post

Morris wrote:
One thing to consider about UWMC: It's considered a part of the campus of UW (medical teaching school) and as such, rules regarding the carry of firearms on educational campuses (grade to college) will apply. Oh, you can argue it to infinity but there was a hell of a row a few years back when off duty cops and CCWers were attending games at Husky Stadium. Police Chief at that time decided carry laws on school campuses would be enforced. It got ugly.

Anyway, I'd check on the status of the location and I'd bet you will be prohibited, simply because the hospital is a part of the campus. Best place to start is a call to UWPD.

Different story if you were visiting a separate medical clinic or detached location not directly involved in teaching or viewed as a campus.
WA state only limits carry on K-12 campuses, and pre-empts any other laws. There is absolutely nothing stopping you from carrying on a college campus. If you go to the college, you can be expelled for breaking their rules, but you can't be prosecuted because it's not illegal.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Morris wrote:
One thing to consider about UWMC: It's considered a part of the campus of UW (medical teaching school) and as such, rules regarding the carry of firearms on educational campuses (grade to college) will apply. Oh, you can argue it to infinity but there was a hell of a row a few years back when off duty cops and CCWers were attending games at Husky Stadium. Police Chief at that time decided carry laws on school campuses would be enforced. It got ugly.

Anyway, I'd check on the status of the location and I'd bet you will be prohibited, simply because the hospital is a part of the campus. Best place to start is a call to UWPD.

Different story if you were visiting a separate medical clinic or detached location not directly involved in teaching or viewed as a campus.
What law? There is no law disallowing citizensfrom carrying on a college campus. So what law was being broken? A UW rule thatapplies to students and faculty only. So the chief decide to enforce a non-law. Yep, chiefs are politicians, not cops anymore.

just_a_car

imported post

I have, on multiple occasions, presented the case for carry on the UW campus, as I am a student there. Other campuses are different, due to their distinct Student Codes of Conduct.

Please do a little search for those and you'll see that even students are technically safe from disciplinary action if they carry. Regular citizens are wholly safe, with the exception you can be tresspassed.

Please also look at the recent legislation that has been talked about and will be presented at the Higher Education Committee this Thursday. It will affect whether or not both students AND non-students can legally carry onto any campus.