• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some Perspective: The end of "The Departed"

sandy

imported post

I recently saw "The Departed" on DVD, and its ending scene is basically a rapid execution of every major character. An elevator opens, and a guy is shot in the head. The second guy in the elevator peers out, and just as he's about to get shot, the shooter gets it from around the corner. The two remaining guys look at each other, almost allies,and start to look at cleaning up the mess when one of them rapidly raises his gun and shoots the other in the head. In another two scenes, that last guy gets executed as well. It all happens so fast that you are left breathless.

As someone who carries a gun daily, and OCs frequently, this is a disturbing reminder of what I could do if I were a psychopath, or what I might find myself up against if I'm in the wrong place at the very wrong time. It makes me look at a gun and say "Holy smokes :uhoh:, in less than a half secondsomeonecould whip one of these implements of death out and spray my brain all over that wall."

If I am awed by the power and potential horror of such a simple tool, I can only wonder how uncomfortable others might be to see me, a stranger, carrying a gun in the supermarket. Maybe a scene like this, from a gory Scorsese film, is what they think of first. No wonder some of them are scared.

It doesn't really change anything. I'll still OC, but it got me thinking.
Have you seen The Departed yet?

--Sandy (WA)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

sandy wrote:
I recently saw "The Departed" on DVD, and its ending scene is basically a rapid execution of every major character. An elevator opens, and a guy is shot in the head. The second guy in the elevator peers out, and just as he's about to get shot, the shooter gets it from around the corner. The two remaining guys look at each other, almost allies,and start to look at cleaning up the mess when one of them rapidly raises his gun and shoots the other in the head. In another two scenes, that last guy gets executed as well. It all happens so fast that you are left breathless.

As someone who carries a gun daily, and OCs frequently, this is a disturbing reminder of what I could do if I were a psychopath, or what I might find myself up against if I'm in the wrong place at the very wrong time. It makes me look at a gun and say "Holy smokes :uhoh:, in less than a half secondsomeonecould whip one of these implements of death out and spray my brain all over that wall."

If I am awed by the power and potential horror of such a simple tool, I can only wonder how uncomfortable others might be to see me, a stranger, carrying a gun in the supermarket. Maybe a scene like this, from a gory Scorsese film, is what they think of first. No wonder some of them are scared.

It doesn't really change anything. I'll still OC, but it got me thinking.
Have you seen The Departed yet?

--Sandy (WA)
IF

That's the operative word.

Anything is possible, given enough time and manipulation of the environment. The question is not if it is possible, but is it probable.

If "they" want to think that it is possible that I might be a psycho and go off on a random killing spree just because I have a gun, then "they" are free to think that. "They" might be better off wondering if it was probable that I might be a psycho and go off on a killing spree just because I have a gun. I might be, but it's not probable.:p

But you see, "they" are not really concerned with what is possible or probable regarding me. "They" are more concerned about what "they" probably would do - and "they" are afraid of self-control and self-responsibility. "They" want everyone to not have guns, because "they" are afraid of what "they"probably woulddo.

stay safe.

skidmark

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

I remember when I saw it that it was pretty shocking, and that's coming from a fan of that sort of movie.

Everything should make you think, and it seems like you have derived some useful insight from this film.

Even the most situationally aware individual, with the very best and extensive combat training, the best gear, the best weapon, and even body armor, can have his brains sprayed all over the wall if someone was inclined to do it for him. The truth is, you have to accept this as a fact of life and prepare as best you can.

XD40coyote

imported post

Preaching to the choir here, but valid points nonetheless.

Let me rewind my life a few years and see how I would react to OC then. Lets say I am at Tysons in NoVA with the guy I used to know who took me there all the time, and some well dressed man walks by with a Glock on his hip in some nice leather holster. What wouldI think? I would think plainclothes cop! Ok, now lets say its a woman in a nearby 7/11 and she has a 1911 on her hip, and she is wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Again, I would likley think plain clothes cop.

Basically, and being ignorant of OC, I would NOT be scared, thinking its just cops.

The one I would worry about is the one who looks wacked out and is carrying an AK into a mall or a store or has any type of gun in their hands as in brandishing, not ordinary people with a handgun on their hip in a holster. In that day, I might have also been slightly concerned if someones jacket flipped open and a concealed handgun showed- but again I would have thought it was an off duty cop or undercover cop. I was not versed on ccw back then either, though I had heard of it.

In all cases, I would not be concerned with a handgun on a hip, OC or CC, unless shots started being fired. But I am and have been a sensible intelligent person, not some half witted soccer mom type who gets hysterical.

I am so conditioned to the idea of "plainclothes cop" that even after learning about OC, I saw someone who was OC who may or may not have been a cop, but I thought "cop" when I saw it. However I saw no badge clipped on the belt next to the gun, and it was after I had left the place that I realized that I may have just seen an ordinary person OCing. This was in southern York county PA. Gosh I wish I could rewind to that day and ask the guy if he was a cop or just a regular guy. If a regular guy, I'd tell him I am so happy to see someone OCing in that area, and has he heard of this website? I'd ask if anyone had given him trouble, cops called on him,etc.

Decoligny

imported post

3/325 wrote:
If a person can't distinguish between entertainment and reality, they have more serious problems than what an OCer might do.

I just saw "Dawn of the Dead", what if that guy I saw down by the grocery store in the dirty clothes with the staggering and the limp is actually a ZOMBIE!!!!!!!!

I better go board up the windows and check my ammo supplies.