• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ommelanden Trip, Sat. 1/26 @ 1:30-2:00pm

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Greetings, folks...

I know someone started a topic for Sunday, but I'll be there Saturday, most likely between 1:30 and 2:00pm or so. My 13 year-old nephew is coming down to spend the evening, and I've also invited a friend who's in the Army Reserve but who's never really fired a pisol before. So, I'll be continuing my nephews training and introducing my work buddy to the world of firing handguns.

If anyone feels like showing up around then, I'll look forward to seeing you. :)

Rob/Wynder

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Sadly, I don't... I was saving up for a reloading press, but never bought it. At this point, it's cheaper to actually buy 100 round boxes of 9mm from Walmart for me, though I do have about 4500 brass casings in my work area for when I do reload. :)

What in the name suggests that I reload?

radnor

imported post

Well, you can't tell that from the name alone.... I think there is a guy there with the same name who reloads. Trying to match a face / name pair that's all.

radnor

imported post

Well.... I dont know if it cheaper to buy. I load 45, 9 and 223 (starting). I figured my breakeven point was 8,000 rounds of 45 to pay for the equipment AND supplies to make those 8K rounds. This is BEFORE the price increases we've all seen.

bms429

imported post

since your from around here, would you consider making ammo for other people and selling for slightly lower than WWB, etc? Not sure what everyone around here shoots at the range, but I know i use the cheap stuff. I have a 9 and .40s&w.

Its a never ending rise in prices it seems. atleast 2 times in the past year, IIRC. I know the shotgun shells we use just went from 16.50 to 20.50 for a box of 100.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Well, at $15.72 per box of 100 rounds of 9mm, I'd venture to say that it's cheaper to buy, then perhaps reload the spent brass depending on how big in bulk you buy. .45 ACP is considerably more expensive and there's a bit more room there to save some money.

radnor

imported post

About a penny for powder, .02 for a primer, and .08 to sit on top of it. Puts me at about 11.00/100 If you shoot lead the cost will be less. Difference of 4.72 a box. Lets say you shoot 26X a year, could save $122 a year.

But being totally honest, you'll NEVER see a dime of that in your pocket. You'll shoot MORE! :celebrate

radnor

imported post

bms429 wrote:
i may come out tomorrow too. since weather is looking the same on both days...

If you do, call my cell when you get there. I will be in the area and if I can get away, I'll stop in for a few minutes. If you call the cell on Saturday, you'll get vmail. Will NOT be avail 12:00-1:00

radnor

imported post

Well.... Slight change in plans. I will be on the range around noon for an hour on Saturday. My co-host wants to shoot some.

Wynder, PM on it's way in a minute

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

I might miss you by about 30 minutes or so -- probably around the 1:30 hour for me if my sister drops my newphew off at the expect time.

radnor

imported post

And at that time, they never sold you range time. I stopped in around 2. Started looking for caps, saw a Chevy one, then another. They looked at me :question: Said I was looking for someone else..... Off to their business they went