• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why does a delivery employee need a gun?

vrwmiller

imported post

[font="arial,helvetica,sans-serif"][font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"][/font][/font]
Man attacked, robbed while delivering food

A 47-year-old Dale City man was robbed while delivering food in the 3000 block of Cahill Lane near Dumfries around 9:35 p.m. Jan. 18, said Officer Erika Hernandez, Prince William police spokeswoman.

Police said the robber approached the man, demanded money and then punched the deliveryman to the ground.

The robber stole an undisclosed amount of cash and fled.

Police said he was described as a thin Hispanic man, between 18 and 25 years old, and approximately 5 feet 7 inches tall. He was wearing blue jeans, a black coat and a ski mask.

The victim suffered a bloody nose and other injuries to the face, Hernandez said.
[font="arial,helvetica,sans-serif"][font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"][/font][/font]
[font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]Source[/font]

Tomahawk

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Answering the rhetorical question; the Second Amendment does not allow a needs based test. It "shall not be infringed."

Any troll want a citation?

vrmiller is taking his thread title from a popular recurring theme in VCDL's email alert system, which, time after time, answer's the antis' question:

"Who needs a gun in [insert desired victim disarmament zone here]?"

...followed by a link to a crime news item.

So relax, it's a mocking of the antis' question inthe same"needs based" language they use.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Yes, thank you, I know.

That's why I wrote:
Answering the rhetorical question;...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetorical_question
A rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question posed for rhetorical effect rather than to receive an answer. Rhetorical questions encourage the listener to reflect on what the implied answer to the question must be. When a speaker declaims, "How much longer must our people endure this injustice?" or "Do you really think I want to have a Star Trek themed wedding?", or "How many times do I have to tell you to stop walking into the house with mud on your shoes?"; no formal answer is expected. Rather, it is a device used by the speaker to assert or deny something. Some language experts consider rhetorical questions to be in fact, grammatical errors when used formally.

DeadCenter

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/font][/font]
Man attacked, robbed while delivering food

A 47-year-old Dale City man was robbed while delivering food in the 3000 block of Cahill Lane near Dumfries around 9:35 p.m. Jan. 18, said Officer Erika Hernandez, Prince William police spokeswoman.

Police said the robber approached the man, demanded money and then punched the deliveryman to the ground.

The robber stole an undisclosed amount of cash and fled.

Police said he was described as a thin Hispanic man, between 18 and 25 years old, and approximately 5 feet 7 inches tall. He was wearing blue jeans, a black coat and a ski mask.

The victim suffered a bloody nose and other injuries to the face, Hernandez said.
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/font][/font]
[font=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Source[/font]

Three attacks / robberies in one report. Beautiful. Makes me all warm and fuzzy.

DC

vrwmiller

imported post

DeadCenter wrote:
Three attacks / robberies in one report. Beautiful. Makes me all warm and fuzzy.

DC
It's from a local paper (Manassas, Woodbridge, Dumfries/Triangle, Dale City, and the rest of Prince William County). I find it even more interesting that appearances are that the majority of violent crime in Prince William County occurrs on the east end of the county.

It's one of the reasons I avoid the east end of the county when I can. Of course, I know that the west end of the county is just as vulnerable and is not immune to violent crime. In reading a lot of the drug reports though, it seems there are a fair amount of people on the west end smoking pot. So, maybe that's why the appearance is that there's less crime...their too happy and lazy to committ a crime ;)

stryth

imported post

wchiang wrote:
So question, some guy comes up, shoves you, and wants money. (No gun or weapon) What do you do?
Is it really as simple as no gun or weaon? At this point he's attempted robbery and committed battery. If he's not hugely built, I know he's not armed, and isn't really a threat I'd probably attempt to exit the situation, call the police, or both.

wchiang

imported post

stryth wrote:
Is it really as simple as no gun or weaon? At this point he's attempted robbery and committed battery. If he's not hugely built, I know he's not armed, and isn't really a threat I'd probably attempt to exit the situation, call the police, or both.
I don't think that is usually the case. If he's looking to start a fight or really wants your money, he's not going to let it go. Even better, lets assume there's 2 or 3 of them starting to confront you. Now what?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

wchiang wrote:
stryth wrote:
I don't think that is usually the case. If he's looking to start a fight or really wants your money, he's not going to let it go. Even better, lets assume there's 2 or 3 of them starting to confront you. Now what?
Several assailants can significantly raise the issue of disparity of force in your favor. You can be hurt very badly and very quickly by several men attacking you.

wchiang

imported post

But it's still clear that you don't draw in these situations because no lethal force has been threatened against you. Is that correct?

stryth

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
wchiang wrote:
stryth wrote:
Several assailants can significantly raise the issue of disparity of force in your favor. You can be hurt very badly and very quickly by several men attacking you.
I'd definitely agree that this changes the disparity of force. This does seem like it's getting OT unless we're talking about the food delivery scenario?

wchiang

imported post

What I want to know is how could this delivery person have used a firearm to his advantage? Even if he uncovers his jacket and leaves it holstered, that will be considered brandishing. What should he have done if he was carrying?

wchiang

imported post

From my understanding, if lethal force is not threatened against you, you can not legally escalate the situation by threatening lethal force through drawing your firearm.

casullshooter

imported post

Someone that just tried to rob you is not going to call the PD and cry, HE BRANDISHED A GUN WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Try to rob me weapon or not and you will be staring down the barrel of a .45.

Keep in mind the assailant was wearing a mask, this shows intent of foul play. If you want to wait for the BG to shoot you before you react we will place flowers by your headstone.

Judged by 12 or carried by 6.........you choose.