Thread: Gun Bill Question

Post imported post

Anyone know what happened to these two bills?

Continuing the trend, many of the bills today were anti-gun. But
    several excellent pro-gun bills appeared, including:

* restaurant ban repeal
    * castle doctrine

DC

Post imported post

Restaurant Ban Appeal = HB 1544 - appears to be stuck in the Committee on GeneralLaws. This Committee meets on Tuesdays. No action taken as of this past Tuesday.

Restaurant Ban Appeal = SB 476 - referred to the Committee for Courts of Justice. They meet on Mondays and Wednesdays. No discussion to date.

Castle Doctrine = HB 710 - last week it was assigned to Hourse Courts of Justice, Criminal subcommittee. This subcommittee meets on Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays. This bill has not been discussed as of this morning.

Post imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
    Restaurant Ban Appeal = HB 1544 - appears to be stuck in the Committee on GeneralLaws. This Committee meets on Tuesdays. No action taken as of this past Tuesday.

Restaurant Ban Appeal = SB 476 - referred to the Committee for Courts of Justice. They meet on Mondays and Wednesdays. No discussion to date.

Castle Doctrine = HB 710 - last week it was assigned to Hourse Courts of Justice, Criminal subcommittee. This subcommittee meets on Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays. This bill has not been discussed as of this morning.
    Thank you.

DC

Post imported post

bayboy42 wrote:

I'm confused as to why the majority of proposed handgun laws are sent to the comittee of Militia, Police and Public Safety, but these 3 go to a different comittee?

They're all dealing with handguns, and if Comittee of M.P.P.S. is the new favored child for gun rights, how do these others stack up? Are they stacked heavily with historicaly anti-2nd amendment members? Will this be another year where the Restaurant Ban goes unchanged?
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when youíre serious and when youíre being sarcastic. ĖAbraham Lincoln

Post imported post

ChinChin wrote:
    bayboy42 wrote:

I'm confused as to why the majority of proposed handgun laws are sent to the comittee of Militia, Police and Public Safety, but these 3 go to a different comittee?

They're all dealing with handguns, and if Comittee of M.P.P.S. is the new favored child for gun rights, how do these others stack up? Are they stacked heavily with historicaly anti-2nd amendment members? Will this be another year where the Restaurant Ban goes unchanged?
    I hope all three are passed. And I would like to see the Nat'l park restriction go away.

DC

Post imported post

DeadCenter wrote:
    I would like to see the Nat'l park restriction go away.

DC
    So would I, but it's not going to happen in Richmond...
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Post imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
    DeadCenter wrote:

DC

Why do you say that?

Damn rule/law keeps me out of the park.

DC

Post imported post

DeadCenter wrote:
    roscoe13 wrote:
    DeadCenter wrote:

DC

Why do you say that?

Damn rule/law keeps me out of the park.

DC
    Federal matter under federal laws and rules. DC is the place for that issue.

Post imported post

National parks are under the control of the Dept. of the interior, VCDL and others have been pushing for a rule that would require Nat. Parks to abide by the rules of the state they are located in. This has been ongoing for 3 years, recently 47 US Senators signed onto a letter to the Sec. of the Interior to call for the above. At a snails pace(Gov't. normal) it seems to be moving in our direction.

Good to hear from you again DC.

Regards to all,

CS

Post imported post

For future reference.

bayboy42 wrote:
    Restaurant Ban Appeal¬* = HB 1544 - appears to be stuck in the Committee on General¬*Laws.¬* This Committee meets on Tuesdays.¬* No action taken as of this past Tuesday.
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...bil&val=HB1544

bayboy42 wrote:
    Restaurant Ban Appeal = SB 476 - referred to the Committee for Courts of Justice.¬* They meet on Mondays and Wednesdays.¬* No discussion to date.
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...=bil&val=sb476

bayboy42 wrote:
    Castle Doctrine = HB 710 - last week it was assigned to Hourse Courts of Justice, Criminal subcommittee.¬* This subcommittee meets on Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays.¬* This bill has not been discussed as of this morning.
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...710&Submit2=Go
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

casullshooter wrote:
    National parks are under the control of the Dept. of the interior, VCDL and others have been pushing for a rule that would require Nat. Parks to abide by the rules of the state they are located in. This has been ongoing for 3 years, recently 47 US Senators signed onto a letter to the Sec. of the Interior to call for the above. At a snails pace(Gov't. normal) it seems to be moving in our direction.

Good to hear from you again DC.

Regards to all,

CS
    Thanks CS

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    For future reference.

bayboy42 wrote:
    bayboy42 wrote:
    bayboy42 wrote:
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...amp;Submit2=Go
    My thanks to you sir.

DC

Post imported post

I just want to be able to OC in Pochohantis (SP?) State Park.

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    For future reference.

bayboy42 wrote:
    bayboy42 wrote:
    bayboy42 wrote:
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...amp;Submit2=Go
    Thanks for linking them AbNo...I should have done that in my original post!!

Post imported post

KnightSG7 wrote:
    I just want to be able to OC in Pochohantis (SP?) State Park.
    THEN SUPPORT HB109

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...?081+sum+HB109

Post imported post

Last update I found on HB710: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...?081+sum+HB710

01/08/08 House: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/09/08 085925568
    01/08/08 House: Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice
    01/16/08 House: Assigned Courts sub: Criminal
    02/04/08 House: Reported from Courts of Justice with amendment (18-Y 4-N)
    02/06/08 House: Read first time
    02/07/08 House: Read second time
    02/07/08 House: Committee amendment agreed to
    02/07/08 House: Engrossed by House as amended HB710E
    02/07/08 House: Printed as engrossed 085925568-E
    02/08/08 House: Read third time and passed House (80-Y 19-N)
    02/08/08 House: VOTE: --- PASSAGE (80-Y 19-N)
    02/08/08 House: Communicated to Senate
    02/11/08 Senate: Constitutional reading dispensed
    02/11/08 Senate: Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice
    02/12/08 Senate: Assigned Courts sub: Criminal

It was scheduled to be heard by the Senate Committee on 2/14/2007. Anyone know what happened there? There is no update in the system for this bill on that date - maybe just not yet.

Post imported post

possumboy wrote:
    Last update I found on HB710: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...?081+sum+HB710

01/08/08 House: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/09/08 085925568
    01/08/08 House: Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice
    01/16/08 House: Assigned Courts sub: Criminal
    02/04/08 House: Reported from Courts of Justice with amendment (18-Y 4-N)
    02/06/08 House: Read first time
    02/07/08 House: Read second time
    02/07/08 House: Committee amendment agreed to
    02/07/08 House: Engrossed by House as amended HB710E
    02/07/08 House: Printed as engrossed 085925568-E
    02/08/08 House: Read third time and passed House (80-Y 19-N)
    02/08/08 House: VOTE: --- PASSAGE (80-Y 19-N)
    02/08/08 House: Communicated to Senate
    02/11/08 Senate: Constitutional reading dispensed
    02/11/08 Senate: Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice
    02/12/08 Senate: Assigned Courts sub: Criminal

It was scheduled to be heard by the Senate Committee on 2/14/2007. Anyone know what happened there? There is no update in the system for this bill on that date - maybe just not yet.
    Per VA Alert:

This morning (2/14/08) Delegate Janis' HB 710 (Castle Doctrine) was heard in the
    Senate Courts of Justice Criminal subcommittee.

Delegate Janis' did a **great job** presenting and fighting for his
    bill. The debate went on for 15 minutes or more.

However, the subcommittee voted to suggest that the full committee
    kill the bill.

The bill will probably be heard on Monday in full committee and will
    most likely die there again. Keep this in mind, though: Virginia's
    common law and case law on self-defense are already excellent, unlike
    many of the states that have passed their own castle doctrine bills.

Post imported post

Here is the letter I got back from my Senator about SB 476.
    I sent a letter before the vote asking that she support SB 476. After she voted against SB 476, I sent another letter afterwards saying I was disappointed in how she was voting on issues. This is the response I got to the second letter:

"Thank you for your message to Senator Whipple. SB 476 was successful in the Senate and is most likely to pass in the House of Delegates as well.

The Senator accepts existing gun owners rights but rarely supports their further extension. "

Wow, how gracious of the senator to "accept" my constitutional rights.

Post imported post

mkl wrote:
    I sent a letter before the vote asking that she support SB 476. After she voted against SB 476, I sent another letter afterwards saying I was disappointed in how she was voting on issues. This is the response I got to the second letter:

"Thank you for your message to Senator Whipple. SB 476 was successful in the Senate and is most likely to pass in the House of Delegates as well.

The Senator accepts existing gun owners rights but rarely supports their further extension. "

I received a similar letter from mine. They always say this is gun rights laws. It has nothing to do with gun rights.

It allows me to protect my family in my own home without having to worry about losing it afterwards. It farther defines that I have more rights in my home, on my property, than someone who intends to bring harm or injury to my family.

Way to many people try to say castle defense laws are gun measures. It is just that most people in support of a castle doctrine also believe in defending themselves on equal grounds with a criminal with a gun.

I can through a baseball at 93 MPH, a phone probably a little slower. That is still no contest against someone with a knife or gun.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

mkl wrote:

I'm surprised you got even that. MM Whipple is notoriously anti-gun. I've seen her speak. She's never met a firearm she didn't want to puke on.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    mkl wrote:

I'm surprised you got even that.¬* MM Whipple is notoriously anti-gun.¬* I've seen her speak.¬* She's never met a firearm she didn't want to puke on.
    I've been sending personalized letters to all of the politicians that represent me about all the issues I care about, thats the first time I got a response from her other than just "We have received your letter and noted your position on the issue".

I'll keep it up, I got a letter from Albert C. Eisenberg as well ( House rep)
    "HB 109 was referred to the House Committee on Militia, Police, and Public Safety, and was left in that committee. I do not believe that this bill is necessary because it is already a law in Virginia. "