• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Bill Question

DeadCenter

imported post

Anyone know what happened to these two bills?

Continuing the trend, many of the bills today were anti-gun. But
several excellent pro-gun bills appeared, including:

* restaurant ban repeal
* castle doctrine

DC

bayboy42

imported post

Restaurant Ban Appeal = HB 1544 - appears to be stuck in the Committee on GeneralLaws. This Committee meets on Tuesdays. No action taken as of this past Tuesday.

Restaurant Ban Appeal = SB 476 - referred to the Committee for Courts of Justice. They meet on Mondays and Wednesdays. No discussion to date.

Castle Doctrine = HB 710 - last week it was assigned to Hourse Courts of Justice, Criminal subcommittee. This subcommittee meets on Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays. This bill has not been discussed as of this morning.

DeadCenter

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
Restaurant Ban Appeal = HB 1544 - appears to be stuck in the Committee on GeneralLaws. This Committee meets on Tuesdays. No action taken as of this past Tuesday.

Restaurant Ban Appeal = SB 476 - referred to the Committee for Courts of Justice. They meet on Mondays and Wednesdays. No discussion to date.

Castle Doctrine = HB 710 - last week it was assigned to Hourse Courts of Justice, Criminal subcommittee. This subcommittee meets on Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays. This bill has not been discussed as of this morning.

Thank you.

DC

ChinChin

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:

I'm confused as to why the majority of proposed handgun laws are sent to the comittee of Militia, Police and Public Safety, but these 3 go to a different comittee?

They're all dealing with handguns, and if Comittee of M.P.P.S. is the new favored child for gun rights, how do these others stack up? Are they stacked heavily with historicaly anti-2nd amendment members? Will this be another year where the Restaurant Ban goes unchanged?

DeadCenter

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:

I'm confused as to why the majority of proposed handgun laws are sent to the comittee of Militia, Police and Public Safety, but these 3 go to a different comittee?

They're all dealing with handguns, and if Comittee of M.P.P.S. is the new favored child for gun rights, how do these others stack up? Are they stacked heavily with historicaly anti-2nd amendment members? Will this be another year where the Restaurant Ban goes unchanged?

I hope all three are passed. And I would like to see the Nat'l park restriction go away.

DC

stryth

imported post

DeadCenter wrote:
roscoe13 wrote:
DeadCenter wrote:
I would like to see the Nat'l park restriction go away.

DC
So would I, but it's not going to happen in Richmond...

Why do you say that?

Damn rule/law keeps me out of the park.

DC
Federal matter under federal laws and rules. DC is the place for that issue.

casullshooter

imported post

National parks are under the control of the Dept. of the interior, VCDL and others have been pushing for a rule that would require Nat. Parks to abide by the rules of the state they are located in. This has been ongoing for 3 years, recently 47 US Senators signed onto a letter to the Sec. of the Interior to call for the above. At a snails pace(Gov't. normal) it seems to be moving in our direction.

Good to hear from you again DC.

Regards to all,

CS

AbNo

imported post

For future reference.

bayboy42 wrote:
Restaurant Ban Appeal  = HB 1544 - appears to be stuck in the Committee on General Laws.  This Committee meets on Tuesdays.  No action taken as of this past Tuesday.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=081&typ=bil&val=HB1544

bayboy42 wrote:
Restaurant Ban Appeal = SB 476 - referred to the Committee for Courts of Justice.  They meet on Mondays and Wednesdays.  No discussion to date.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=081&typ=bil&val=sb476

bayboy42 wrote:
Castle Doctrine = HB 710 - last week it was assigned to Hourse Courts of Justice, Criminal subcommittee.  This subcommittee meets on Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays.  This bill has not been discussed as of this morning.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=081&typ=bil&val=hb710&Submit2=Go

DeadCenter

imported post

casullshooter wrote:
National parks are under the control of the Dept. of the interior, VCDL and others have been pushing for a rule that would require Nat. Parks to abide by the rules of the state they are located in. This has been ongoing for 3 years, recently 47 US Senators signed onto a letter to the Sec. of the Interior to call for the above. At a snails pace(Gov't. normal) it seems to be moving in our direction.

Good to hear from you again DC.

Regards to all,

CS
Thanks CS

DeadCenter

imported post

AbNo wrote:
For future reference.

bayboy42 wrote:

bayboy42 wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=081&typ=bil&val=hb710&Submit2=Go

My thanks to you sir.

DC

bayboy42

imported post

AbNo wrote:
For future reference.

bayboy42 wrote:

bayboy42 wrote:
bayboy42 wrote:

Thanks for linking them AbNo...I should have done that in my original post!!

possumboy

imported post

Last update I found on HB710: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?081+sum+HB710

01/08/08 House: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/09/08 085925568
01/08/08 House: Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice
01/16/08 House: Assigned Courts sub: Criminal
02/04/08 House: Reported from Courts of Justice with amendment (18-Y 4-N)
02/06/08 House: Read first time
02/07/08 House: Read second time
02/07/08 House: Committee amendment agreed to
02/07/08 House: Engrossed by House as amended HB710E
02/07/08 House: Printed as engrossed 085925568-E
02/08/08 House: Read third time and passed House (80-Y 19-N)
02/08/08 House: VOTE: --- PASSAGE (80-Y 19-N)
02/08/08 House: Communicated to Senate
02/11/08 Senate: Constitutional reading dispensed
02/11/08 Senate: Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice
02/12/08 Senate: Assigned Courts sub: Criminal

It was scheduled to be heard by the Senate Committee on 2/14/2007. Anyone know what happened there? There is no update in the system for this bill on that date - maybe just not yet.

vt357

imported post

possumboy wrote:
Last update I found on HB710: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?081+sum+HB710

01/08/08 House: Prefiled and ordered printed; offered 01/09/08 085925568
01/08/08 House: Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice
01/16/08 House: Assigned Courts sub: Criminal
02/04/08 House: Reported from Courts of Justice with amendment (18-Y 4-N)
02/06/08 House: Read first time
02/07/08 House: Read second time
02/07/08 House: Committee amendment agreed to
02/07/08 House: Engrossed by House as amended HB710E
02/07/08 House: Printed as engrossed 085925568-E
02/08/08 House: Read third time and passed House (80-Y 19-N)
02/08/08 House: VOTE: --- PASSAGE (80-Y 19-N)
02/08/08 House: Communicated to Senate
02/11/08 Senate: Constitutional reading dispensed
02/11/08 Senate: Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice
02/12/08 Senate: Assigned Courts sub: Criminal

It was scheduled to be heard by the Senate Committee on 2/14/2007. Anyone know what happened there? There is no update in the system for this bill on that date - maybe just not yet.
Per VA Alert:

This morning (2/14/08) Delegate Janis' HB 710 (Castle Doctrine) was heard in the
Senate Courts of Justice Criminal subcommittee.

Delegate Janis' did a **great job** presenting and fighting for his
bill. The debate went on for 15 minutes or more.

However, the subcommittee voted to suggest that the full committee
kill the bill.

The bill will probably be heard on Monday in full committee and will
most likely die there again. Keep this in mind, though: Virginia's
common law and case law on self-defense are already excellent, unlike
many of the states that have passed their own castle doctrine bills.

mkl

imported post

Here is the letter I got back from my Senator about SB 476.
I sent a letter before the vote asking that she support SB 476. After she voted against SB 476, I sent another letter afterwards saying I was disappointed in how she was voting on issues. This is the response I got to the second letter:

"Thank you for your message to Senator Whipple. SB 476 was successful in the Senate and is most likely to pass in the House of Delegates as well.

The Senator accepts existing gun owners rights but rarely supports their further extension. "

Wow, how gracious of the senator to "accept" my constitutional rights.

possumboy

imported post

mkl wrote:
I sent a letter before the vote asking that she support SB 476. After she voted against SB 476, I sent another letter afterwards saying I was disappointed in how she was voting on issues. This is the response I got to the second letter:

"Thank you for your message to Senator Whipple. SB 476 was successful in the Senate and is most likely to pass in the House of Delegates as well.

The Senator accepts existing gun owners rights but rarely supports their further extension. "

I received a similar letter from mine. They always say this is gun rights laws. It has nothing to do with gun rights.

It allows me to protect my family in my own home without having to worry about losing it afterwards. It farther defines that I have more rights in my home, on my property, than someone who intends to bring harm or injury to my family.

Way to many people try to say castle defense laws are gun measures. It is just that most people in support of a castle doctrine also believe in defending themselves on equal grounds with a criminal with a gun.

I can through a baseball at 93 MPH, a phone probably a little slower. That is still no contest against someone with a knife or gun.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mkl wrote:

I'm surprised you got even that. MM Whipple is notoriously anti-gun. I've seen her speak. She's never met a firearm she didn't want to puke on.