• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Will be in Minnesota next month, where am I restricted from carrying?

kmcdowel

imported post

I will be spending a couple days in Eagan, and see that your state honors my CCW permit. Does Minnesota have 'pistol free zone's like Michigan, in which I can't carry? What places should I avoid while OCing or CCing

Gbro

imported post

Any state of Fed bldg.
School property, this could be a public bldg that the school is using for a event. They are suppose to be marked as such but CYA.
ETOH sites are legal but don't drink with carry, fact is one can have 1/2 of legal limit, but why?
newest change from 2005 law, Must declare "if asked by LEO" I believe your state is Must declare Period.

kmcdowel

imported post

In my state I also must declare if asked by a LEO. For school property, does this apply to colleges and universities? Any specific links? Thanks in advance, -Kevin

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

kmcdowel wrote:
In my state I also must declare if asked by a LEO. For school property, does this apply to colleges and universities? Any specific links? Thanks in advance, -Kevin
In Michigan you must declare before you are asked. In Minn, he said that you only have to declare if asked if you have a CPL.

kmcdowel

imported post

Well, I made it. Have an interview tomorrow morning at 8:30...or was it 8:00??

Not much OC so far, just at a rest stop. Got pulled over by the Michigan State Police on the way here; he asked to see my gun, and then asked me to put in it the back seat. Then he told me to have my hands on the steering wheel when he returned to my vehicle. I only got a warning (68mph in a 55mph).

I couldn't find my tie at home, so I thought I'd have a great chance to OC at the Mall of America when I pick up a new one. Apparently, they have signs at each entrance prohibiting carry all together:(. Thelegality of the signs seems to be disputable. O well, guess it's CC for me.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Well I was going to start a new thread asking about those pesky signs, but I see it's already been referenced here. According to the encounter you linked to, even though they unlawfully arrested him (detained my butt), they did not charge him. Apparently the legality of the signs, or lack there of, held up! Granted no one wants to go through what he went through...then again, the settlement would be nice!

madrevar

imported post

I was recently at MAO and entered on ground level between Sears and Nordstrom's I think. I searched every inch of the entrance and couldnt find any signs posted, inside or out. I wonder what decision took place to cause this?

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

I went to Burnsville Center for the first time this weekend (to buy a bed) and made it all the way to the door before I saw the dreaded "No Guns" sign which forced me to walk all the way back to my car. :)

For what is worth, I did not see a sign at the Atlantis theater (but I may not have looked hard enough). PS. Two thumbs up for Hellboy II!

mnglocker

imported post

jpierce wrote:
I went to Burnsville Center for the first time this weekend (to buy a bed) and made it all the way to the door before I saw the dreaded "No Guns" sign which forced me to walk all the way back to my car. :)

Why? Put a cover garment on and ignor the signs, land lords can not legally post in MN, not to mention that the signs hold no wieght of law.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

The simplest answer is that I didn't have a cover garment on me. But I will remember to keep something in the car in the future when in MN.

mnglocker wrote:
jpierce wrote:

Why? Put a cover garment on and ignor the signs, land lords can not legally post in MN, not to mention that the signs hold no wieght of law.

Aegis

imported post

Good call.......I occasionally have to take my family to the "Dreaded Mall of America"....and I have one or two large shirts in the truck for moments just like that.

Definately wouldnt want to offend anyones sensabilities :banghead:

Aegis

imported post

[align=right]

madrevar[/i][/align]

I recall seeing the signs on the east side of the MOA as you enter from the parking ramps on the upper levels.......I dont go in through the ground floor because of limited parking so I dont know about those entrances.

montigunman

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Well I was going to start a new thread asking about those pesky signs, but I see it's already been referenced here. According to the encounter you linked to, even though they unlawfully arrested him (detained my butt), they did not charge him. Apparently the legality of the signs, or lack there of, held up! Granted no one wants to go through what he went through...then again, the settlement would be nice!
In the link you refered to, Bruce Craft was in the right and the mall of america was in the wrong since he was correct on what the statue says about landlords. this is why the last few times I was at the mall I didn't see the signs anymore. As far as the other malls that post signs they are also in the wrong and in violation of the statue.