• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tactical Vest with Holster

Schofield

imported post

Expvideo: What kind of dump bag do you use? Is it attached to the vest? Slung over your shoulder or... ? Some vests you can simply dump the magazines down the front and your belt will no tlet them slip out. Not what I'd recommend but really depends on the vest.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

jack wrote:
Those vest aren't bullet proof. Personally I have seen a few guys wearing them at the range and laughed at how stupid they looked. I could see it for shooting out at my cabin, where I may walk two miles into the woods and need to carry plenty of ammo. At the range, nope. I'll stick with a range bag and looking like a normal human being instead of some GI Joe type urban warriorthat watches too much TV. Wear it in public (all loaded up) and you will end up with 5-6 cops pointing guns at you, guaranteed. I really wouldn't blame them, guys look like terrorist wearing those things. Frankly I would probably call the cops on someone wearing that thing at McDonald's or walking down the street.

Well first off I apologize for not saluting...I didn't realize you were Captain Obvious. No kidding they're not bullet proof! That, and you're a jerk if you'd call the cops on someone for no good reason. I really hope you realize how ignorant your comments were.

I agree that this sort of equipment would be rather tacti-cool in a normal every-day environment, but it's very practical at the range. I often go back and forth between the shooting area and the range building, and I don't like having to leave my things, especially firearms, unattended. Previously my only options have been to either leave my stuff there, or pack up everything and carry my bag with me just to use the restroom. With this vest, I'll be able to comfortably keep almost everything on my person.

Hey, look at that! I used logic and reason to present my opinions and thoughts in an intelligent manner. Funny how that works!

jack

Banned
imported post

Actually Mr. Arrogant, I said I would call the cops on someone wearing that thing all loaded up at McDonald's or walking down the street. That is not calling the cops on someone for no reason. Most citizens would call. That is a tactical vest for combat. Sure wear it at the range if it makes you feel like a big man. No one will care, just chuckle at how bizarre you are.

Many people do mistakenly believe they are bullet proof, based on some of your other "thoughts" I figured you were serious. Don't piss your diapers over it.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

jack wrote:
Actually Mr. Arrogant, I said I would call the cops on someone wearing that thing all loaded up at McDonald's or walking down the street. That is not calling the cops on someone for no reason. Must citizens would call. That is a tactical vest for combat. Sure wear it at the range if it makes you feel like a big man. No one will care, just chuckle at how bizarre you are.

The purpose of Law Enforcement is to enforce laws. Pretty simple, huh? The only time the cops should be called is when laws need to be enforced. Wearing that vest, as impractical or unnecessary as you think it may be, IS NOT ILLEGAL. If you call the cops on someone who is doing nothing illegal, then you're calling them for no good reason, and you're a jerk. Period.

The vest is not made for combat. It is made to comfortably and practically hold your firearm magazines and other accessories on your person. Yes, this is great for combat, as you are normally carrying a large amount of ammunition and such. This is also true for things like hunting and range shooting.

Now how about you stop trying and failing to insult others because you don't know how to support your own argument? Sound like a plan?

jack

Banned
imported post

Normal , mentally healthy folks wouldn't be walking down the side walk or setting in McDonald's with a tactical vest on. Would I wait till be does something crazy before calling the police ? No way, I see someone wearing that thing all loaded up in public and I'm dialing 911.

There was a guy that took a stroll with a tactical vest recently in Va.

By the way, you were the one that started throwing insults/names around. Pretty hypocritical for the State Administrator. No wonder so many come and leave this BB so fast.

Attachments

• ChoSh.jpg
    ChoSh.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 250

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Yep, I said someone who calls the cops on someone else for no good reason is a jerk. I stand by that statement, and I'd be more than happy if someone would like to present a reason why that statement might be wrong. I'm sorry if you took offense to that. I personally don't find that offensive at all....ya know, since I wouldn't call the cops for no good reason.

Your illogical reasoning for wanting to call the cops is tantamount to someone calling the cops for you carrying a weapon openly. Cho did that, too, ya know. I would really appreciate it if you took his picture down. You're giving him what he wanted, and I don't like that.

FWIW, I really am glad you're presenting your opinion, and allowing me to counter with my own. Your attitude, like I just mentioned, is very similar to theattitudes that open carriers have to deal with.

jack

Banned
imported post

I never said that offended me, I just pointed out that you were the one that started with the insults and infantile name calling (captain obvious, Jerk etc. )

There is a big difference between open carrying in a holster and simply going about your business and parading around town in a tactical vest that is loaded up. If the open carry community keeps defending such nonsense as that, we will continue to be seen as a "threat" by some, well intending citizens. Everyone has a right to their opinion and to decide for themselves when to call the police. For me a guy sitting in McDonald's or walking down the street while wearing a loaded up tactical vest is worthy of a 911 call. If you don't that's your business. With every tragedy we are one step closer to further wholesale reprovisions in our gun laws. Don't think the State Legislature could pass a Ban on open carry. Many States have already.

I get the idea some of you guys would rather see regular tragedies like Virginia Tech than have an occasional conversation with an officer over your open carry. Pretty dam self centered.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

All right, I don't feel like continuing this debate, but if someone else would like to pick up where it leaves off, feel free. All I will say is that you have to draw the line somewhere. You think openly carrying a pistol should not be cause for alarm, but openly carrying ammunition should be. I say they are one in the same, and if you consider one a threat, then the other one will be as well.

jack

Banned
imported post

There is a big difference between open carrying a weapon and maybe a couple of extramagazines ,and a guy walking around wearing a tactical vest loaded up with ammunition and a firearm hanging on the front. In fact that would be a great way for those so inclined to get fast legislationpassed banning open carry. Get a bunch of guys to run around in tactical vests, load up with 10 extramags. and a handgun hanging on the front of the vest scaring the hell out of everyone.

You don't need 10-15 magazines to protect yourself. You certainly don't need to run around wearing a tactical vest, unless you are in Iraq.

People see a guy running around in a tactical vest and what do they think of ?

Attachments

• 051308s.jpg
    051308s.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 217

khmer_gentleman

imported post

ok guys theres no need to argue. everyone in has their options, either you like it or you dont. we were just talking about wearing the vest to the range. no one said they were going be walking around with it on or going to McDonald's

expvideo

imported post

I can understand why Jack would be concerned seeing someone walking down the street in tactical gear. I'd be a little worried for their mental stability as well.

My first thought would be that they were on their way to or from an airsoft game, because normally gun owners are more responsible and less "look at me" about being gun owners.

Still, I don't know if I'd call the cops or not. I'd probably just talk to them and make sure that they weren't mentally unbalanced. I'd probably find that they were on their way to an airsoft game.

ETA: has anyone considered that the hypothetical guy at McDonalds wearing a tactical vest might be attending a training at something like Front Site or Thunder Ranch, and he is just making a McDonalds run for the rest of the class?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Well I ended up trying out the vest last weekend at the range. I got there bright and early for a shooting match, so I left the gear in the car and just wore plain clothes with a belt holster. Once that was over with, I headed back to the car and wanted to bring my shotty back up to test some new ammo I had purchased, the SW99 to test new carry ammo, the P3AT for more break-in rounds, and my pellet rifle to sight in. I threw the vest on and everything I was carrying found a pouch. The shotty went on my back, and the rifle in my hand.

When I was done for the day, it was weird as hell when I looked around to gather my things, and realized I already had everything! Money well spent, and the only reaction I got from anyone was someone asking "where did you get your vest?". lol

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

You must be comfortable in your gear if you plan to need it in a SHTF situation. The vest is practical at the range if you seriously plan on being prepared for that moment. If you only like putting little holes in paper and don't think the zombies will ever come for you, then don't get one. I think knowing your gear is key if you will one day count on it to aid in the preservation of your life. Should you come into a Mc'D's wearing that gear, I wouldn't call the police. However, keep in mind I have at least 2 firearms on or about me 90% of my awake time, and my tunnel vision may be trained on you until you prove to not be a threat ;). Being the type of person I am, I probably would come up andstrike a friendly convo aboutyour gear.

My .40

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

STUPID COMPUTER! I typed a bunch of stuff then lost it when I clicked a smiley. Grrrr!!

Anyway no, I actually left that area open. It was perfect, since thats where my long gun rests when it is slung. If I had my pistol holstered there, the shotty and pistol would have been rubbing against eachother. I kept my pistol in my safariland thigh-rig, which is perfect for keeping the sidearm out of the way of the long gun.

Since I don't have a .223 firearm currently, I'm thinking of finding a way to mount a dump-pouch to that area of the vest. Unfortunately, it's all just the soft side of velcro, with no mounting spots. I have yet to find a pouch of any sort with velcro backing, or a velcro-molle adapter thingy. I'll probably just glue/stitch some velcro on to the back of whatever pouch I find.

expvideo

imported post

I use a separate dump pouch that attaches to the belt on my left hip. It works well in that location, better than I would imagine it would work if it was on the vest. I don't remember what brand it is, sorry. I bought it a long time ago.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Yeah I've found plenty of pouches, just none that have a velcro backing. I guess I'm just trying to find something to fill in that hole. It's very practical to leave it open to let the long gun hang, but it makes the vest look (and when fully loaded, probably feel) lop-sided.

Yodaforce

imported post

I don't know too many range masters who would allow any sort of cross draw holsters on the range. Maybe it would be good for hiking, but I would rather have my thigh rig in either situation. Especially climbing trees to escape hogs. Try drawing that vest pistol while hugging a tree trunk. As far as body armor, which someone mentioned earlier, I always wear my Safariland level II to the range or whenever I'm around other shooters. You never know just how safe or responsible others are. And unless you are planning a vacation to Falujah, I would say no to the vest. Overkill.

expvideo

imported post

Yodaforce wrote:
I don't know too many range masters who would allow any sort of cross draw holsters on the range. Maybe it would be good for hiking, but I would rather have my thigh rig in either situation. Especially climbing trees to escape hogs. Try drawing that vest pistol while hugging a tree trunk. As far as body armor, which someone mentioned earlier, I always wear my Safariland level II to the range or whenever I'm around other shooters. You never know just how safe or responsible others are. And unless you are planning a vacation to Falujah, I would say no to the vest. Overkill.

That's funny. Now we have both opinions on the same thread. One person says that the tactical vest is fine, but a bullet proof vest is overkill. Another person says that a bullet proof vest is fine, but a tactical vest is overkill. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with either, but I do think it's amusing that we have both opinions. :D

I've been thinking about wearing my level II vest to the range, since there are some idiots that go to ranges, but since I never wear it anyway and it just sits in the closet in case of a Katrina situation or something like that, it just never crosses my mind when I'm packing a range bag. I'll try to remember it next time, since it's just a piece of safety equipment, and it would be better to have it than to not, I guess. You never know when some wanna be gangstas are going to be waving around their tech-9 without regard for the 4 rules. It is a public range, after all.