Thread: need your thoughts

Post imported post

This is off BATFE's website how do you read it as I'm in this boat and have been told a lot of different things and I'd like your thoughts on it

B13) May aliens legally in the United States buy firearms?[Back]

An alien legally in the U.S. may acquire firearms if he has a State of residence. An alien has a State of residence only if he is residing in that State and has resided in a State continuously for at least 90 days prior to the purchase. An alien acquiring firearms from a licensee is required to prove both his identity, by presenting a government-issued photo identification, and his residency with substantiating documentation showing that he has resided in the State continuously for the 90-day period prior to the purchase. Examples of qualifying documentation to prove residency include: utility bills, lease agreements, credit card statements, and pay stubs from the purchaser’s place of employment, if such documents include residential addresses.

A gun Owner Is A Citizen
    Anyone Else is a Subject

Post imported post

RogueAussie wrote:
    This is off BATFE's website how do you read it as I'm in this boat and have been told a lot of different things and I'd like your thoughts on it

An alien legally in the U.S. may acquire firearms if he has a State of residence. An alien has a State of residence only if he is residing in that State and has resided in a State continuously for at least 90 days prior to the purchase. An alien acquiring firearms from a licensee is required to prove both his identity, by presenting a government-issued photo identification, and his residency with substantiating documentation showing that he has resided in the State continuously for the 90-day period prior to the purchase. Examples of qualifying documentation to prove residency include: utility bills, lease agreements, credit card statements, and pay stubs from the purchaser’s place of employment, if such documents include residential addresses.

This seems self explanatory.

If you are an alien is the US legally, and can show proof of identity as well as prove residency in your state for 90 days, you can legally buy a firearm.

What is it that you want to ask about?

Post imported post

Just if you was reading it the same as me as i asked at a local gunshop and the guy behind the counter had no idea what i was talking about. Sorry I should have said this in the beginning
    A gun Owner Is A Citizen
    Anyone Else is a Subject

Post imported post

RogueAussie wrote:
    Just if you was reading it the same as me as i asked at a local gunshop and the guy behind the counter had no idea what i was talking about. Sorry I should have said this in the beginning
    Not a problem. I hope this helps you out. Good luck.

Post imported post

RogueAussie wrote:

The way I read this, is that you only need all that ID junk if you buy from an FFL holder/dealer. It would appear that these residency/ID restrictions do not apply to private party sales.

Post imported post

you shouldn't have an issue being a non-US citizen buying a firearm. My wife's a German citizen and has had no problems aquiring handguns & long guns from an FFL