• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thoughts on the Smith and Wesson M&P

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Euromutt wrote:
tapper95 wrote:
Oops... sorry, that was me falling out of my chair and crashing into the keyboard in utter disbelief. If you have to worry about a safety mechanism preventing your 2 year old from discharging your firearm then you have no business owning or keeping a firearm.
Did you notice the bit where I said "as many things as possible"? I don't rely on the internal lock/mag disconnect alone to keep the firearm secure. I do have a quick access lock box for the thing, one of these to be exact; I bought it before I bought the firearm. I also intend to buy a larger safe in due course as I expand my collection, but there are certain considerations why I don't have one yet (including possibly moving house later this year).

Okay, there's something I should have made more clear. The kid's two now, which means that there's no way he's going to be alone in the house with a firearm. Also, he's just not curious about them yet. But my son's not going to be two forever (heck, his birthday was just over two weeks ago and I'm already going "he's two already"), and while I also have a copy of Massad Ayoob's Gun-Proof Your Kids, and I already have the site bookmarked for ordering Eddie Eagle stuff,
I want back-up security measures for when that time comes.

There's another consideration, which is that if some punk were to break in while everyone's out (at some place where you can't carry), said punk might be able to makeoff with the entire lockbox, and crack it open in a safe place, but as long as I keep the keys to the internal lock on me, the weapon is going to be of very limited use to him. Sure, spare S&W keys can be acquired, but I'd like to make the process as difficult as I can.

Ifa punk gets yourgun, he can disassemble it and manipulate the lock. Or he can use a paper clip. It's of greater importance that it not take 10 seconds to ready your weapon when you need it than to frustrate a punk trying to steal it, because an internal lock is not going to do so.

Bolt the lockbox to your nightstand. If a punk wants your gun in a hurry he's gotta take the entire nightstand with him. If you have small children in the house, your gun stays on your hip or in the safe, and that safe is only open while it is empty or you are right next to it. End of discussion.

Euromutt

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
If a punk gets yourgun, he can disassemble it and manipulate the lock. Or he can use a paper clip.
Are you familiar with the internal lock on an M&P? Because from what you're saying I very strongly doubt that you are.

Here's the lock from the outside: link to image

The lock face is recessed 5mm into the frame; the recess is 3mm across, too narrow to get, say, a Bic pen in deeply enough to reach the lock face. The pattern on the lock face is a rounded pentagon, and the central axis is flush with the lock face, with no hole to insert a paperclip into.

Here's the frame from diagonally above: link to image

and from directly above: link to image

So how do you think anyone short of a qualfied gunsmith with a full set of tools is going to disassemble that lock?

Liko81 wrote:
It's of greater importance that it not take 10 seconds to ready your weapon when you need it than to frustrate a punk trying to steal it, because an internal lock is not going to do so.
Yeah, so when I'm in the house with the weapon, I leave the lock disengaged, and I only engage the lock when I have to leave the house, and leave the weapon behind. I'd already figured that out all by myself.

mhemu

imported post

I bought a M&P 40c and I love it. The only bad experience I had with it was when I first shot it, had a bunch of FTL's from 1 of my mags. I had the armorer polish up the ramp and I gave the gun a thorough cleaning and lubing, haven't had an issue with the 300+ rnds I've put through it since.

Now if I can just find a nice IWB for cc'ing I'll be set and happy as can be.

Mike M.

imported post

I have the M&P .45 , and absolutely love it. Im considering getting one in a .40 as well. Also i know a few others who have various calibers of the M&P, and everyone loves it.

onetuza

imported post

After much looking, I ended up with an M&P 9mm for home defense and I couldn't be happier with the choice. It's a quality weapon at a reasonable price and shoots like a dream. I tricked it out with recoil reducing springs, (just for goofs because it doesn't really need them. The M&P's have a very high grip position, reducing gun rotation), a Crimson Trace laser grip and an Insight XTI Procyon weapon light and I am a happy man. I've got a Kel-tec PF-9 with an Armalaser RSS for concealed carry.

Weak 9mm

imported post

What recoil reduction system did you get? Was it the DPM system recoil reducing guide rod and spring? I have that system for my Glock 17 and it works well.

onetuza

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
What recoil reduction system did you get? Was it the DPM system recoil reducing guide rod and spring? I have that system for my Glock 17 and it works well.
Yes, though I didn't really feel any difference over stock with the gold spring, so then switched to the silver spring and felt some improvement.