• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

the wisdom or foolishness of our actions related to OC

gmdfunk

imported post

I have not posted heavily on the board, but I have been an active reader for a little while and I have an issue I would like to bring up for discussion.

I am aware that open carry is legal in many places in the state of Utah. However, I hink that some members of this community are not acting for the OC communities best interest.

For example, peoples personal opinions will vary but I would say that OC in schools, some banks, hospitals, etc, may have greater potential to alarm people than OC'ing out in the hills, at a shooting range, in stores that don't protest, or for an extreme example, in your own home. I would like to state that I am not questioning the legality of OC in any situation, or suggesting that the legality should be changed to attempt to suppress OC. I am questioning the wisdom and the responsibility of some who choose to OC in certain situations.

I have read on this board about an individual that has repeatedly attempted to enter the University Mall while OC'ing, despite being asked by mall security to conceal his gun or leave. The University Mall does not seem to have adequate signs at the entrances to preemptively bar firearms on the premises, however I believe repeatedly trying to go against the guards requests reflects poorly on both the OC and the gun owning community as a whole.

If the mall or any privately owned business decides to ban OC, or CCW for that matter, that is their right to do so. I respect a private property owners rights even if I don't agree with their decision. If I felt strongly enough I would take my business elsewhere and explain why, rather than repeatedly causing a scene by continuing to go against their wishes.

Another post that I read on this board is one dealing with OC at state colleges in Utah. Since state run schools are state entities, they do not have the same right to dictate peoples actions that a private entity does. It is allowed to carry a gun onto a public school campus in Utah with a CCP, but I don't think that it is always wise.

What would happen if someone insisted on OC'ing their gun to the college and got into some confrontation with a teacher, fellow student, administrator, or campus police. What if the story made it into the local media? It would likely not portray the person with the gun in a good light, and the bad media may eventually convince people to vote for anti-gun representatives.

I will contrast these above negative observations with that of the OC dinners. Before the dinner, the business's where contacted and asked if they would allow us to hold the dinners. The dinners let everyone get together, have a good time, make a political statement, and educate the public. They have been an overwhelmingly positive experience for everyone involved, including the attending media. I have read some of the press coverage about the OC dinners and it seemed largely positive. I would like people that see someone OC to leave the situation feeling like the person was polite, intelligent, and not threatening.

People in this community that make OC a positive experience for everyone, are assets to our gun rights. Those that are trying to connect OC to other organizations (the minutemen has come up several times on the board), do odd things like make police style badges, carry a gun without presenting themselves professionally, or make decisions without the slightest thought or concern for the community around them, are a liability to the continuation of our rights

I have read posts about people that chose to OC places and had opportunity to talk to people, and even educate police officers about what they where doing. Those people carried themselves well, and made it in to a positive experience, rather then a negative confrontation.

I would urge that our community use good judgment and remember that just because we can, does not always mean we always should. I think if we don't act responsibly, courteously, and politely, we may eventually lose our right.

I would like to hear everyones thoughts on the matter

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

The idea is to OC just like other normal people going about their business in public places. In practice, I have never seen anyone "alarmed," but many do get educated, and are happy to learn about their rights.

swillden

imported post

Avoiding OC except in places where people "expect" it defeats the whole purpose of OC, at least for those who can conceal. The point is to:

1. Provide visible deterrence to would-be bad guys; and
2. Educate people about their rights; and
3. Increase the general comfort level with firearms in public places by making it a familiar experience.

Not OCing in banks, schools, malls, etc. means failing to achieve any of those goals.

As for your scenario about an OC'er who uses their weapon improperly, the solution is simple and obvious: the community should loudly and publicly condemn their actions, and support the efforts of law enforcement and court officials to apply the maximum penalties allowed by law. I have ZERO tolerance for anyone who chooses to be armed and does not exercise perfect self control in the use of their weapon, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment.

Personally, I don't think that anyone who is openly carrying for the above reasons, and who cares enough about the issues to participate in the "community" is going to create that sort of problem anyway, but if it happens, it happens, and it could very well happen regardless of what anyone on this forum chooses to do, or not do.

Finally, regarding places that want to disarm us: I think the best approach is simply to refuse to patronize them, and to find ways to help them understand the impact of their decisions.

sccrref

imported post

I suspect that someone who will get into an argument with another on school/campus grounds would do the same thing anywhere else as well. The liberal media will put their anti spin on it regardless of where it occurs and who is at fault. If one is an asshole, the place he is, is irrelevant. I would have to agree with a previous post that OCing where it is not expected/normal is the best place to do it and more likely to present an opportunity to educate someone.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

While I can see where you may be legitimately concerned with fellow OC'ers who may not use by your definition "good judgement", I can assure you that if we do yield to the wishes of everyone who does not agree with OC, or finds it distasteful, we will lose our right.

Now, I can agree with you on certain points. If you are asked to leave an establishment and if it legal for such a person to ask you to do so, you should respect their instructions and heed them, take an issue like this up with management, and I would not recommend going back with an openly carried firearm until the situation is rendered.

However, when you say we should not carry into banks, hospitals and the like, where doing so may be legal, but in poor taste, according to your opening post, I must disagree.

If I am going into a public area where OC is legal, I usually do so, but on ocassion I will CC for particular reasons, even if OC is legal, and these reasons have nothing to do with the general publics "take" on OC.

Although first and foremost, we all carry a firearm for a defense, many choose OC as to educate the public, and as a means to exercise their freedoms. Some people may be alarmed that a civilian is openly carrying a firearm, however, after this legal practice is seen time and time again with no negative outcome, they will realize that we are people, just as they are, and responsible firearms owners.

I can say with complete certainty that there are those who do not contribute to the OC cause as much as others, and those who take away from our efforts, not even on this board, but others as well.

The only point I can agree with you on is that if asked to leave, and only when a person can legally ask you to do so, their command should be respected and not tested in the forms you stated. I am not commenting on the mall incidents, as I am unfamiliar with Utah laws, but more in a general sense.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

OC just like anyone else going about their business.

I've had numerous positive encounters.I'm convinced the majority of the people in this countryare not afraid of firearms.

If you bump into someone who disapproves, take the opportunity to educate, if appropriate. Tact and judgement apply. Leave if asked without getting into a heated discussion--we automatically win if we take the highroadand show respect forthe property rights of others even if they won't respectthe right of self-defense.

I'm also convinced the media, although bad enough, isn't the irresistable force it sometimes seems.

rocknsnow

imported post

I think some really good things have been brought up in this discussion.

I personally agree with a few members of the thread here that if we don't oc in places and give in all the time we will lose out right to do so.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/7734.html

On the thread that I just posted the link we were discussing other actions to help us defend our rights. Look at it and see what you think.