• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cuyahoga Falls, OH is it legal to OC?

SWhetsel

imported post

OK, I looked up the local laws for where I live and from what I gathered I am perfectly in the green to Open Carry as long as its for buisness or for personal defense of property or family. So I am going to post this law for Cuyahoga Falls and let me know what you think. My plan is to carry a copy of this on me if it reads like I think it does about Open Carry.

Off of the City of Cuyahoga Falls website in the Law section.

549.10 CARRYING VARIOUS WEAPONS PROHIBITED; EXCEPTIONS.

(a) No person shall carry a pistol, revolver, bowie knife, dirk, stiletto, dagger or other knife having a blade two and one-half inches in length or longer, or a karate stick or nunchakus, knuckles, a billy, blackjack, or bludgeon, or a knife fitted with a mechanical device for automatic release of the blade opening the knife and locking the blade in the open position and commonly known as a switch or automatic spring knife, or any other dangerous weapon on or about the person without proper justification. "Proper justification" includes, but is not limited to, the right of law enforcement officers and other persons specifically authorized by law to be armed within the scope of his duties. It shall be an affirmative defense to a violation of this section, if it appears that the defendant was at the time engaged in a lawful business, employment or occupation, or that the circumstances in which he was placed justified a prudent man to possess such weapon for the defense of his person, property or family.

(b) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.

reefteach

imported post

Carry a copy of the following instead, and use the local ordinance to wipe your arse:

(A) The individual right to keep and bear arms, being a fundamental individual right that predates the United States Constitution and Ohio Constitution, and being a constitutionally protected right in every part of Ohio, the general assembly finds the need to provide uniform laws throughout the state regulating the ownership, possession, purchase, other acquisition, transport, storage, carrying, sale, or other transfer of firearms, their components, and their ammunition. Except as specifically provided by the United States Constitution, Ohio Constitution, state law, or federal law, a person, without further license, permission, restriction, delay, or process, may own, possess, purchase, sell, transfer, transport, store, or keep any firearm, part of a firearm, its components, and its ammunition.

(B) In addition to any other relief provided, the court shall award costs and reasonable attorney fees to any person, group, or entity that prevails in a challenge to an ordinance, rule, or regulation as being in conflict with this section.

(C) As used in this section:

(1) The possession, transporting, or carrying of firearms, their components, or their ammunition include, but are not limited to, the possession, transporting, or carrying, openly or concealed on a person’s person or concealed ready at hand, of firearms, their components, or their ammunition.

(2) “Firearm” has the same meaning as in section 2923.11 of the Revised Code.

(D) This section does not apply to either of the following:

(1) A zoning ordinance that regulates or prohibits the commercial sale of firearms, firearm components, or ammunition for firearms in areas zoned for residential or agricultural uses;

(2) A zoning ordinance that specifies the hours of operation or the geographic areas where the commercial sale of firearms, firearm components, or ammunition for firearms may occur, provided that the zoning ordinance is consistent with zoning ordinances for other retail establishments in the same geographic area and does not result in a de facto prohibition of the commercial sale of firearms, firearm components, or ammunition for firearms in areas zoned for commercial, retail, or industrial uses.

Effective Date: 03-14-2007

SWhetsel

imported post

Sweet thanks for the update, Ive been in Iraq for the past year and a half and didnt realize that Ohio said "F" you to local laws and finally made a standard. Thank God.

timmy44221

imported post

Another update on the law. Ohio currently has a lawsuit going on, and Ohians For Concealed Carry is involved too. It is goinging to be the final determination on whether local laws are valid, but even at this point is is very clear they are not.

Marc Dann Ohio's Attourny General has sided with OFCC on this matter.

SWhetsel

imported post

Did you live in the falls? Or just visit? Wondered how many times you've OC'ed there. ( BTW, I talked to a Falls Cop in Giant Ealge, he knew about being allowed to OC)