Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun carry: "It's not just [for] rural white men [anymore]." -Del. Alexander (D)

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Delegate Kenny Alexander (D – Norfolk, Va.)

In the aftermath of the crushing 77-18 vote to reject Delegate Lionel Spruill's (D – Cities of Chesapeake & Suffolk) HR 9 (banning citizen gun carry in the Virginia Capitol),[1] African American Delegate Kenny Alexander (D – City of Norfolk), a long time Virginia concealed handgun permit holder, wryly noted that gun carry is “not just [for] rural white men.”[2]

Statistics back Delegate Alexander up – “[a]s of Jan. 5, there were 149,984 active concealed weapons permits in Virginia, according to Sgt. Michelle Cotten of the Virginia State Police. Almost 3 percent of all Virginians 21 and older have the permits, a comparison of police and state census figures shows.”[3]

[1]http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?081+sum+HR9.

[2] Jen McCaffery, General Assembly bill highlights division over firearms[/i]
    , Virginia Pilot, Jan. 26, 2008, available at http://hamptonroads.com/2008/01/general-assembly-bill-highlights-division-over-firearms.[/b]

[3]Id[/i][/b].

Post imported post

Thank youto Delegate Alexander (D) who understands the Constitution of the US and Virginia. In my mind that's what it boills down to. Which elected official has read the Constitution and not onlyunderstandsit but can interpret what our fore-fathers meant. My only complaint is that he does'nt OC.

Post imported post

I never thought it was for rural white men, but cheers to him.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Would somebody that can speak formally (like a moderator) please send Delgate Alexander a letter expressing our thanks - a link to his email would be nice also.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Would somebody that can speak formally (like a moderator) please send Delgate Alexander a letter expressing our thanks - a link to his email would be nice also.

Yata hey
    Just look him up on the General Assembly web site - if you live in Virginia, you should be very adept at using the Geenral Assembly web site to track bills and legislators.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Nice to see we have a black racist on our side. Also, if he's an African-American, I give him a month's pay.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
    Just look him up on the General Assembly web site - if you live in Virginia, you should be very adept at using the Geenral Assembly web site to track bills and legislators.
    Sent an email thanking him for his efforts.
    You can too at: DelKAlexander@house.state.va.us

Yata hey

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

I hope Del. Alexander meant that comment in the way I would like to take it. Given his vote and CC license, I am happy to give the benefit of the doubt.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

I do not believe his comment was meant to be racist in nature, he was debunking the press line often repeated "Only old white men care about gunrights".

Post imported post

Hooray! Intelligence wins again in the Commonwealth.

Post imported post

We need a lot more minorities and women on our side of the arg. In fact, they are the ones who could benefit most.
    I've never heard of a man black getting lyched, at gay man getting bashed or a woman getting raped whilst wielding a Glock

Post imported post

casullshooter wrote:
    I do not believe his comment was meant to be racist in nature, he was debunking the press line often repeated "Only old white men care about gunrights".
    And I imagine you are correct about this.. I see no reason why you might not be. It's just that what's good for the goose is good for the gander. By this I mean change the words around slightly so that "rural white men" becomes "rural black men" and just see what kind of reaction you'll get. Hell a good number of people on this site would be up in arms about that.. makes you wonder at times.

Anyway, I do hope that the good Delegate has the interests of all of his constituents at heart and not just a group here and a segment there. We need all of the help we can muster.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
    We need a lot more minorities and women on our side of the arg. In fact, they are the ones who could benefit most.
    I've never heard of a man black getting lyched, at gay man getting bashed or a woman getting raped whilst wielding a Glock
    I for one was thrilled to see the number of women wearing orange GUNS SAVE LIVES buttons/stickers and white signs last Monday. I noticed even more after I saw the pictures.

Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    Nice to see we have a black racist on our side.
    Do you know the delegate?

I'm curious how you've come to believe he's a racist.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

DrMark wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    DrMark wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:

Why the popcorn?

I'm just curious as to why SouthernBoy thinks the Delegate is a racist.

Post imported post

Just sittin and watchin. Lots of interesting things being said tonight!

Post imported post

DrMark wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:

Here's the reason for my post.

I was trying to drive a point home.. there was no animosity or ill will intended to anyone; white or black. The point was simply the wording of the quote (if it is accurate). Had it said, "It's just not [for] rural black men [anymore]'", I would wager there would have been hell to pay and I have a real problem with that. Would not it have been better to have said, "It's just not [for] rural people [anymore]"? I'm gettting tired of a one way street with these issues. It's Ok for Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson or Rep. John Lewis or Chris Rock or Will Smith or Opra Winfrey to echo clearly racist sentiments but good Lord, don't ever let a white person do the same.

Frankly, I would love to see the day when this crap can be put behind us and we can get on with the business of our nation. As I wrote, I do hope the delegate's intentions were honorable, but when I hear quote such as this one which has been attributed to him, my radar goes up and I can't help but suspect an underlying current may exist that only pokes its nose out on occasion.

America First!

Post imported post

Being politically correct is highly over rated and anyway you definitely cannot please all of the people all of the time!

Yata hey

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    DrMark wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:

I was trying to drive a point home.. there was no animosity or ill will intended to anyone; white or black. The point was simply the wording of the quote (if it is accurate). Had it said, "It's just not [for] rural black men [anymore]'", I would wager there would have been hell to pay and I have a real problem with that. Would not it have been better to have said, "It's just not [for] rural people [anymore]"? I'm gettting tired of a one way street with these issues. It's Ok for Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson or Rep. John Lewis or Chris Rock or Will Smith or Opra Winfrey to echo clearly racist sentiments but good Lord, don't ever let a white person do the same.

Frankly, I would love to see the day when this crap can be put behind us and we can get on with the business of our nation. As I wrote, I do hope the delegate's intentions were honorable, but when I hear quote such as this one which has been attributed to him, my radar goes up and I can't help but suspect an underlying current may exist that only pokes its nose out on occasion.
    Well, thanks for the explanation, though I don't really understand your perspective of connecting this with some kind of racism.

I know the media likes to portray the pro-gun, NRA crowd as rural, white men. I therefore found it refreshing for him to point out that those that carry guns are a more diverse lot.

Post imported post

DrMark wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:
    DrMark wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:

Well, thanks for the explanation, though I don't really understand your perspective of connecting this with some kind of racism.

I know the media likes to portray the pro-gun, NRA crowd as rural, white men. I therefore found it refreshing for him to point out that those that carry guns are a more diverse lot.

Ok, let me put it another way. Being a Southerner, I was brought up to respect people and treat then with dignity. Also there is the side of me that suspects alterior motives when questions of race are injected into the picture. I much prefer situations where race is a non-issue and the quality and character of an individual is what counts.

Gotta go.. sorry I can't finish this.

America First!

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Being politically correct is highly over rated and anyway you definitely cannot please all of the people all of the time!

Yata hey
    What Grapeshot Said !

Post imported post

If "rural white men" is racist, well I must be Santa Claus.

I mean really, we have people on our side and we are going to fight them off because you may have been slighted? Please.

As someone who grew up on a farm for a majority of my life, I could not care less about this. I for one am glad he said it.

Considering the origins of gun laws were to keep "blacks in their place," his comments have a saleint point!

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    Nice to see we have a black racist on our side. Also, if he's an African-American, I give him a month's pay.

I'll take that month's pay. I am a real African American. Ialso happen to be fully 100%Caucasian. I was born on an U.S.Naval Base in Morocco, so I am African, and I was born a citizen of the U.S.A. so I amAmerican.

Post imported post

casullshooter wrote:

1+

That's good attack someone supporting us.
    I didn't hear/see any negative comments on OCDOby you about this.
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...ghlight=saslaw

I'm from NY and found it offensive and wrote my Delegate and Senator regarding it.

Remember when you point fingers, two more get pointed back at you.

EDIT:
    Now, if you want to send a letter to Al & Jesse stating something to the effect that they offend you and many others by portraying they speak for all African Americans.

I'd put my John Hancock on that.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast