• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun carry: "It's not just [for] rural white men [anymore]." -Del. Alexander (D)

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

DrMark wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
DrMark wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Nice to see we have a black racist on our side.
Do you know the delegate?

I'm curious how you've come to believe he's a racist.
Here's the reason for my post.

I was trying to drive a point home.. there was no animosity or ill will intended to anyone; white or black. The point was simply the wording of the quote (if it is accurate). Had it said, "It's just not [for] rural black men [anymore]'", I would wager there would have been hell to pay and I have a real problem with that. Would not it have been better to have said, "It's just not [for] rural people [anymore]"? I'm gettting tired of a one way street with these issues. It's Ok for Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson or Rep. John Lewis or Chris Rock or Will Smith or Opra Winfrey to echo clearly racist sentiments but good Lord, don't ever let a white person do the same.

Frankly, I would love to see the day when this crap can be put behind us and we can get on with the business of our nation. As I wrote, I do hope the delegate's intentions were honorable, but when I hear quote such as this one which has been attributed to him, my radar goes up and I can't help but suspect an underlying current may exist that only pokes its nose out on occasion.

Well, thanks for the explanation, though I don't really understand your perspective of connecting this with some kind of racism.

I know the media likes to portray the pro-gun, NRA crowd as rural, white men. I therefore found it refreshing for him to point out that those that carry guns are a more diverse lot.
Ok, let me put it another way. Being a Southerner, I was brought up to respect people and treat then with dignity. Also there is the side of me that suspects alterior motives when questions of race are injected into the picture. I much prefer situations where race is a non-issue and the quality and character of an individual is what counts.

Gotta go.. sorry I can't finish this.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Being politically correct is highly over rated and anyway you definitely cannot please all of the people all of the time!

Yata hey
What Grapeshot Said !

hsmith

imported post

If "rural white men" is racist, well I must be Santa Claus.

I mean really, we have people on our side and we are going to fight them off because you may have been slighted? Please.

As someone who grew up on a farm for a majority of my life, I could not care less about this. I for one am glad he said it.

Considering the origins of gun laws were to keep "blacks in their place," his comments have a saleint point!

Decoligny

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Nice to see we have a black racist on our side. Also, if he's an African-American, I give him a month's pay.
I'll take that month's pay. I am a real African American. Ialso happen to be fully 100%Caucasian. I was born on an U.S.Naval Base in Morocco, so I am African, and I was born a citizen of the U.S.A. so I amAmerican.

Marco

imported post

casullshooter wrote:
I do not believe his comment was meant to be racist in nature, he was debunking the press line often repeated "Only old white men care about gunrights".

1+

That's good attack someone supporting us.
I didn't hear/see any negative comments on OCDOby you about this.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=7705&forum_id=54&highlight=saslaw

I'm from NY and found it offensive and wrote my Delegate and Senator regarding it.

Remember when you point fingers, two more get pointed back at you.

EDIT:
Now, if you want to send a letter to Al & Jesse stating something to the effect that they offend you and many others by portraying they speak for all African Americans.

I'd put my John Hancock on that.

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

Great point, DrMark. I understood the delegates comment as a dismissal ofthe liberal media's (bigoted) stereotypical portrayal of the gun-totting, conservative, NRA supporting white male. It took a lot of nerve for this democratic delegate to speak up.

SouthernBoy

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Nice to see we have a black racist on our side. Also, if he's an African-American, I give him a month's pay.
I'll take that month's pay. I am a real African American. Ialso happen to be fully 100%Caucasian. I was born on an U.S.Naval Base in Morocco, so I am African, and I was born a citizen of the U.S.A. so I amAmerican.
In my entire life, I can only recall having known three African-Americans.. and one was white. The other two were from Etheopia and Uganda. Of course, all were naturalized citizens otherwise they would not have been African-Americans.

One of the things I found both curious and insidious was when the sister of the white man filled out her college application, she marked the box labeled, "African American". Upon submitting it, the reviewer crossed her entry out and marked the "White" box. She protested, saying that she was a naturalized citizen originally from Africa and the box she had marked correctly identified her ethnicity. The reviewer continued to insist that she mark the "correct" box, which of course, she had.

SouthernBoy

imported post

hsmith wrote:
If "rural white men" is racist, well I must be Santa Claus.

I mean really, we have people on our side and we are going to fight them off because you may have been slighted? Please.

As someone who grew up on a farm for a majority of my life, I could not care less about this. I for one am glad he said it.

Considering the origins of gun laws were to keep "blacks in their place," his comments have a saleint point!
Let's see, Santa. I want a case of 9mm and a case of .40S&W and I might be thinking another sidearm along the way.

SouthernBoy

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
casullshooter wrote:
I do not believe his comment was meant to be racist in nature, he was debunking the press line often repeated "Only old white men care about gunrights".

1+

That's good attack someone supporting us.
I didn't hear/see any negative comments on OCDOby you about this.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=7705&forum_id=54&highlight=saslaw

I'm from NY and found it offensive and wrote my Delegate and Senator regarding it.

Remember when you point fingers, two more get pointed back at you.

EDIT:
Now, if you want to send a letter to Al & Jesse stating something to the effect that they offend you and many others by portraying they speak for all African Americans.

I'd put my John Hancock on that.

Indeed, what Saslaw said was offensive and symbolic of the mindset of that particular political element. Kind of like when AlGore commented about an extra chromosome, but then again, I can tell you a few things he and his buddy Billy Boy said that would put them rather low on the ladder of knowledge.