• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun carry: "It's not just [for] rural white men [anymore]." -Del. Alexander (D)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Delegate Kenny Alexander (D – Norfolk, Va.)

In the aftermath of the crushing 77-18 vote to reject Delegate Lionel Spruill's (D – Cities of Chesapeake & Suffolk) HR 9 (banning citizen gun carry in the Virginia Capitol),[1] African American Delegate Kenny Alexander (D – City of Norfolk), a long time Virginia concealed handgun permit holder, wryly noted that gun carry is “not just [for] rural white men.”[2]

Statistics back Delegate Alexander up – “[a]s of Jan. 5, there were 149,984 active concealed weapons permits in Virginia, according to Sgt. Michelle Cotten of the Virginia State Police. Almost 3 percent of all Virginians 21 and older have the permits, a comparison of police and state census figures shows.”[3]

[1] [url]http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?081+sum+HR9[/url].

[2] Jen McCaffery, General Assembly bill highlights division over firearms[/i]
, Virginia Pilot, Jan. 26, 2008, available at http://hamptonroads.com/2008/01/general-assembly-bill-highlights-division-over-firearms.[/b]

[3]Id[/i][/b].

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

Thank youto Delegate Alexander (D) who understands the Constitution of the US and Virginia. In my mind that's what it boills down to. Which elected official has read the Constitution and not onlyunderstandsit but can interpret what our fore-fathers meant. My only complaint is that he does'nt OC.;)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Would somebody that can speak formally (like a moderator) please send Delgate Alexander a letter expressing our thanks - a link to his email would be nice also.

Yata hey

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Would somebody that can speak formally (like a moderator) please send Delgate Alexander a letter expressing our thanks - a link to his email would be nice also.

Yata hey
Just look him up on the General Assembly web site - if you live in Virginia, you should be very adept at using the Geenral Assembly web site to track bills and legislators.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Mike wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
Just look him up on the General Assembly web site - if you live in Virginia, you should be very adept at using the Geenral Assembly web site to track bills and legislators.
Sent an email thanking him for his efforts.
You can too at: DelKAlexander@house.state.va.us

Yata hey

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I hope Del. Alexander meant that comment in the way I would like to take it. Given his vote and CC license, I am happy to give the benefit of the doubt.

ufcfanvt

imported post

We need a lot more minorities and women on our side of the arg. In fact, they are the ones who could benefit most.
I've never heard of a man black getting lyched, at gay man getting bashed or a woman getting raped whilst wielding a Glock ;)

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

casullshooter wrote:
I do not believe his comment was meant to be racist in nature, he was debunking the press line often repeated "Only old white men care about gunrights".
And I imagine you are correct about this.. I see no reason why you might not be. It's just that what's good for the goose is good for the gander. By this I mean change the words around slightly so that "rural white men" becomes "rural black men" and just see what kind of reaction you'll get. Hell a good number of people on this site would be up in arms about that.. makes you wonder at times.

Anyway, I do hope that the good Delegate has the interests of all of his constituents at heart and not just a group here and a segment there. We need all of the help we can muster.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
We need a lot more minorities and women on our side of the arg. In fact, they are the ones who could benefit most.
I've never heard of a man black getting lyched, at gay man getting bashed or a woman getting raped whilst wielding a Glock ;)
I for one was thrilled to see the number of women wearing orange GUNS SAVE LIVES buttons/stickers and white signs last Monday. I noticed even more after I saw the pictures.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Just sittin and watchin. Lots of interesting things being said tonight!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

DrMark wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Nice to see we have a black racist on our side.
Do you know the delegate?

I'm curious how you've come to believe he's a racist.
Here's the reason for my post.

I was trying to drive a point home.. there was no animosity or ill will intended to anyone; white or black. The point was simply the wording of the quote (if it is accurate). Had it said, "It's just not [for] rural black men [anymore]'", I would wager there would have been hell to pay and I have a real problem with that. Would not it have been better to have said, "It's just not [for] rural people [anymore]"? I'm gettting tired of a one way street with these issues. It's Ok for Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson or Rep. John Lewis or Chris Rock or Will Smith or Opra Winfrey to echo clearly racist sentiments but good Lord, don't ever let a white person do the same.

Frankly, I would love to see the day when this crap can be put behind us and we can get on with the business of our nation. As I wrote, I do hope the delegate's intentions were honorable, but when I hear quote such as this one which has been attributed to him, my radar goes up and I can't help but suspect an underlying current may exist that only pokes its nose out on occasion.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Being politically correct is highly over rated and anyway you definitely cannot please all of the people all of the time!

Yata hey

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
DrMark wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Nice to see we have a black racist on our side.
Do you know the delegate?

I'm curious how you've come to believe he's a racist.
Here's the reason for my post.

I was trying to drive a point home.. there was no animosity or ill will intended to anyone; white or black. The point was simply the wording of the quote (if it is accurate). Had it said, "It's just not [for] rural black men [anymore]'", I would wager there would have been hell to pay and I have a real problem with that. Would not it have been better to have said, "It's just not [for] rural people [anymore]"? I'm gettting tired of a one way street with these issues. It's Ok for Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson or Rep. John Lewis or Chris Rock or Will Smith or Opra Winfrey to echo clearly racist sentiments but good Lord, don't ever let a white person do the same.

Frankly, I would love to see the day when this crap can be put behind us and we can get on with the business of our nation. As I wrote, I do hope the delegate's intentions were honorable, but when I hear quote such as this one which has been attributed to him, my radar goes up and I can't help but suspect an underlying current may exist that only pokes its nose out on occasion.

Well, thanks for the explanation, though I don't really understand your perspective of connecting this with some kind of racism.

I know the media likes to portray the pro-gun, NRA crowd as rural, white men. I therefore found it refreshing for him to point out that those that carry guns are a more diverse lot.