Post imported post

We need one!

National and also by State.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    We need one!

National and also by State.
    Good idea. Let us know when you have it built, and a link, okay?
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Well, it really wouldn't be that difficult. Obviously, a list of places would need to be generated by users. I think that with a few stickies and the setup of a frappr/google map it could be done in a matter of minutes.

OR,

There could be a sticky on each state page with a simple list for anyolne to add to.

Post imported post

We've got one over in the Washington State forum. Probably others have them, too.

I don't know that we need a 'national' one, though. I wouldn't want to wade through a long list of businesses that aren't even in my state on the chance that I *might* find one that is.

If there's a national chain that has a corporate 'no weapons' policy, it usually gets discovered in each locality, and pretty quick.

Post imported post

On the National side we can start off with CitiBank. VCDL maintains a list of Gun Owner Unfriendly Places for Virginia; http://www.vcdl.org/static/gue.html

My susgestion would be that we keep the listupdated if the establishment learns the error of their ways.
    'Till the last landings made, and we stand unafraid, on a shore not mortal has seen,
    'Till the last bugle call, sounds taps for us all,
    It's Semper Fidelis, MARINE!

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

"I Am Not A Lawyer"

This has been discussed on other boards and as a rule it is NOT a good Idea for a message board to have a list as it puts every member on the forum on "active notice".

Meaning that "if" one were to carry in one of the listed CEZ's and get caught, it would not be "recreational trespass" a misdemeanor, but a "criminal trespass" felony. In Michigan anyway. Other states may be different.

What I'm proposing is a website with NO MEMBERS.

What I would like is a national list followed by listings state by state. Therefore you wouldn't have to "wade through a long list of businesses that aren't even in my state on the chance that I *might* find one that is"

http://www.usadonotpatronize.com

http://www.michigandonotpatronize.com

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

OK. Let us know when you get it running.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

State Researcher

Post imported post

I have something like this on my backburner project plate. It initially uses a clickable map of the US so you can quick pick a state. Then, you'll get a dropdown of counties. From there, you'd get a list of bussinesses, the story from original submitter, follow-up comments, the area location on a map, etc. All PHP/MySQL driven.

You'd also be able to do straight out searches including anti, neutral and friendly business as well as a section that'd also index corporate chain general policies.

I kind of got held up with it when I was trying to figure out how to take a zip code and get businesses around it... that's when my work got a little hectic.

One day I'll get back to working on it.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Just out of curiosity -- I'm thinking that, because of the laws in VA, if the businesses were to be classified, would you rather see Restaurant and Restaurant w/Alcohol classification, or would Restaurant just suffice.

The idea being that you could search for either one in your state, in your county, even in a ZIP that is Gun Owner Friendly to dine at for the evening.

Thoughts?

Post imported post

What I would like is a national list followed by listings state by state. Therefore you wouldn't have to "wade through a long list of businesses that aren't even in my state on the chance that I *might* find one that is"

That doesn't sound too bad.

State Researcher

Post imported post

What I have setup so far is a map of the US from which you can select a state, then, based on the state you chose, a dropdown of counties from which may choose. You'd then get a list of businesses within that county.

Status, name, address, date submitted, number of comments associated with the business.

You'd click on the desired business and be able to see it located on a map (Using the Google map API), the original submitter's story as to why it earned its current status, along with comments from other folks.

There are several other utilities that I'd be building in (ability to nominate the location for a change of status, name, address (basically, so the user base can help self-police the entries to make sure everything's as accurate as possible). I'll probably be looking for a few folks at some point in the future to take a look, offer feedback, opinions and ideas on improvements and features.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    This has been discussed on other boards and as a rule it is NOT a good Idea for a message board to have a list as it puts every member on the forum on "active notice".

Meaning that "if" one were to carry in one of the listed CEZ's and get caught, it would not be "recreational trespass" a misdemeanor, but a "criminal trespass" felony.
    I suggest that you edit this to preceed with IANAL.

Which is to say, that may be the law in your jurisdiction but it is not the law in all jurisdictions. 'Notice' often must often be by a court.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA *******