• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Do not patronize" list/database

savery

imported post

Well, it really wouldn't be that difficult. Obviously, a list of places would need to be generated by users. I think that with a few stickies and the setup of a frappr/google map it could be done in a matter of minutes.

OR,

There could be a sticky on each state page with a simple list for anyolne to add to.

3/325

imported post

We've got one over in the Washington State forum. Probably others have them, too.

I don't know that we need a 'national' one, though. I wouldn't want to wade through a long list of businesses that aren't even in my state on the chance that I *might* find one that is.

If there's a national chain that has a corporate 'no weapons' policy, it usually gets discovered in each locality, and pretty quick.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

"I Am Not A Lawyer"

This has been discussed on other boards and as a rule it is NOT a good Idea for a message board to have a list as it puts every member on the forum on "active notice".

Meaning that "if" one were to carry in one of the listed CEZ's and get caught, it would not be "recreational trespass" a misdemeanor, but a "criminal trespass" felony. In Michigan anyway. Other states may be different.

What I'm proposing is a website with NO MEMBERS.

What I would like is a national list followed by listings state by state. Therefore you wouldn't have to "wade through a long list of businesses that aren't even in my state on the chance that I *might* find one that is"

http://www.usadonotpatronize.com

http://www.michigandonotpatronize.com

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

I have something like this on my backburner project plate. It initially uses a clickable map of the US so you can quick pick a state. Then, you'll get a dropdown of counties. From there, you'd get a list of bussinesses, the story from original submitter, follow-up comments, the area location on a map, etc. All PHP/MySQL driven.

You'd also be able to do straight out searches including anti, neutral and friendly business as well as a section that'd also index corporate chain general policies.

I kind of got held up with it when I was trying to figure out how to take a zip code and get businesses around it... that's when my work got a little hectic.

One day I'll get back to working on it. :)

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Just out of curiosity -- I'm thinking that, because of the laws in VA, if the businesses were to be classified, would you rather see Restaurant and Restaurant w/Alcohol classification, or would Restaurant just suffice.

The idea being that you could search for either one in your state, in your county, even in a ZIP that is Gun Owner Friendly to dine at for the evening.

Thoughts?

3/325

imported post

What I would like is a national list followed by listings state by state. Therefore you wouldn't have to "wade through a long list of businesses that aren't even in my state on the chance that I *might* find one that is"

That doesn't sound too bad.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

What I have setup so far is a map of the US from which you can select a state, then, based on the state you chose, a dropdown of counties from which may choose. You'd then get a list of businesses within that county.

Status, name, address, date submitted, number of comments associated with the business.

You'd click on the desired business and be able to see it located on a map (Using the Google map API), the original submitter's story as to why it earned its current status, along with comments from other folks.

There are several other utilities that I'd be building in (ability to nominate the location for a change of status, name, address (basically, so the user base can help self-police the entries to make sure everything's as accurate as possible). I'll probably be looking for a few folks at some point in the future to take a look, offer feedback, opinions and ideas on improvements and features.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

dougwg wrote:
This has been discussed on other boards and as a rule it is NOT a good Idea for a message board to have a list as it puts every member on the forum on "active notice".

Meaning that "if" one were to carry in one of the listed CEZ's and get caught, it would not be "recreational trespass" a misdemeanor, but a "criminal trespass" felony.
I suggest that you edit this to preceed with IANAL.

Which is to say, that may be the law in your jurisdiction but it is not the law in all jurisdictions. 'Notice' often must often be by a court.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$